Licenses Question

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

I have a windows 2000 terminal server with 15 CAL. All the clients that have
these licenses attached to them, no longer exist. How do I remove them so
other machines may use them?

This makes no sense to me. Please help.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

It sounds as if you installed your TS CALs *before* SP3. If that
is correct, then they will not have an expiration date and be
permanently issued to the clients.
These licenses will be lost by a fresh re-installation of the
client OS, or if the client is discarded altogether. You will have
to phone the Clearinghouse to get these TS CALs re-issued.

291795 - HOW TO: Locate a Phone Number for the Microsoft
Clearinghouse
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291795

If your TS CALs were installed *after* SP3 (which included a
Licensing Enhancement) was applied to the Terminal Server and
the License Server, then they have an expiration date of 52-89
days. Licenses that are not used (because the client does not
connect to the TS anymore) will automatically be returned to the
LS after the expiration date. In the meantime, new clients
will get a temporary TS CAL, which is valid for 90 days.

Note that these time periods are choosen to make sure that your
temporary license lasts long enough for the old license to become
available again.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT