SLI Noob question

geekwannab

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Can I mix and match cards(from the same GPU line, say 7800GT) from different vendors (say evga and BFG) with the new nvidia drivers.

Thanks in advance

geekwannab

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
NVM, I think I found the answer . For the sake of other people who might have the same question, quote from slizone.com( asite run by nVidia):

With the new "Release 80" driver, NVIDIA takes SLI to an entirely new level. First of all, gamers can use graphics cards in SLI mode with different clock speeds, different BIOS settings, different input/output configurations, different memory sizes and from different manufacturers

SLI between card from different vendors

Thanks for all the people who read this post and tried to help me out.

[/quote]

cleeve

Illustrious
That's the way it's supposed to be, but from what I've heard people say, it's not a guarantee.

It should work with mixed cards, but it's not 100% from what I've gathered.

mpjesse

Splendid
If you have the choice, always try to get identical cards.

SLI has to have both cards running at identical clock speeds.

The thing is that all video card vendors clock their chips differently. Some faster and some slower. nVidia's Forceware will check both cards and determine an optimal clock speed. If you have identical cards... it often leaves the clock speeds at their stock speed and even overclocks them. (nVidia recommends that both my 7800GTX's be run at 503Mhz core and 1.35Ghz memory... the cards are rated at 490Mhz core and 1.3Ghz memory). They run completely stable at the higher clock speed.

If you have say two 7800GTX's in SLI from say Asus and XFX, you're going to get a lower combined clock speed. XFX always clocks their cards higher than what nVidia recommends (even their plain vanilla ones). Asus doesn't do that so much... they tend to stick with what nVidia recommends.

-mpjesse