wheres SSH?

ChrisR

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Someone told me to use a tool called Secure Shell (ssh) to manage a SuSe
Linux 9.0 box from my Win2K Pro box. However I cant figure out what/ where
it is or how to install it? All ideas are appreciated.

Basically what you are doing with SSH is created a remote command line connection to the Linux box.

SSH FAQ: http://www.employees.org/~satch/ssh/faq/ssh-faq.html

A couple of Windows SSH clients,
Putty: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
Cygwin: http://www.cygwin.com/

If you do a lot of file transfers from Windows to Linux, Winscp: http://winscp.sourceforge.net/eng/download.php

Quick guide to the BASH command line syntax: http://www.ss64.com/bash/

--

Bill James
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Windows VBScript Utilities » www.billsway.com/vbspage/
Windows Tweaks & Tips » www.billsway.com/notes_public/

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 12:14:18 -0800, ChrisR wrote:

> Someone told me to use a tool called Secure Shell (ssh) to manage a SuSe
> Linux 9.0 box from my Win2K Pro box. However I cant figure out what/ where
> it is or how to install it? All ideas are appreciated.

putty, find here:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 14:11:21 -0700, "Bill James" <wgjames@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Basically what you are doing with SSH is created a remote command line connection to the Linux box.
>
>SSH FAQ: http://www.employees.org/~satch/ssh/faq/ssh-faq.html
>
>A couple of Windows SSH clients,
>Putty: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
>Cygwin: http://www.cygwin.com/
>
>If you do a lot of file transfers from Windows to Linux, Winscp: http://winscp.sourceforge.net/eng/download.php
>
>Quick guide to the BASH command line syntax: http://www.ss64.com/bash/

Um Cygwin is a lot more than a SSH client. I know, because I had buy a
bigger disk, when I had a need to install Cygwin. I use putty these
days. It's a good little product.

Cheers,

Cliff

Depends on how much of cygwin you decide to install. It's possible to just do the basics and get ssh, but it is still more 'geeky' to install and Putty is easier for the typical Windows user to manage, for sure. Add WinSCP for drag and drop file transfers (and minor configuration edits) and a Windows user should be able to do most things required for managing a Linux box.

--

"Enkidu" <enkidu@xyzcliffpxyz.com> wrote in message news:hccuo05qreobeih905ga2gjmi7gotcp638@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 14:11:21 -0700, "Bill James" <wgjames@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>Basically what you are doing with SSH is created a remote command line connection to the Linux box.
>>
>>SSH FAQ: http://www.employees.org/~satch/ssh/faq/ssh-faq.html
>>
>>A couple of Windows SSH clients,
>>Putty: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
>>Cygwin: http://www.cygwin.com/
>>
>>If you do a lot of file transfers from Windows to Linux, Winscp: http://winscp.sourceforge.net/eng/download.php
>>
>>Quick guide to the BASH command line syntax: http://www.ss64.com/bash/
>>
> Um Cygwin is a lot more than a SSH client. I know, because I had buy a
> bigger disk, when I had a need to install Cygwin. I use putty these
> days. It's a good little product.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Try http://sleep.mat-yan.jp/~yutaka/windows/index.html for an SSH2
compatible TeraTerm - a much more configurable terminal emulation program.
Or, you could go the full nine yards and install Cygwin (www.cygwin.com) -
then you could make a SSH then run a X server over the SSH connection
allowing you run X applications remotely.

Cary Kataoka (caryk@cjrk.com)
CJRK Computer Consulting Inc.

"BobC" <nospam@nospam.here> wrote in message
> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 12:14:18 -0800, ChrisR wrote:
>
> > Someone told me to use a tool called Secure Shell (ssh) to manage a SuSe
> > Linux 9.0 box from my Win2K Pro box. However I cant figure out what/
where
> > it is or how to install it? All ideas are appreciated.
>
> putty, find here:
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Chris,

I use PuTTY to manage a couple of Redhat 9 boxes. It's a great little tool!

Download from here: