101 CPU Heatsink reviews :)

madshrimp

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Hi all, been hard at work couple of weeks to provide our readers with a large number heatsinks for review. My latest roundup can be found here

while I've also composed a list of all heatsinks we have reviewed, currently at 101 :)

Comments and suggestions on test setup and charts are much appreciated!

mpjesse

Splendid
Sweeeeeet. You even did it the right way and tested all the heatsinks in a case. Most sites don't do that. And as you know, coolers always perform better inside a case. (assuming the case is well ventilated)

I have only one suggestion: use the same fan for all the tests if possible. The problem is it's really really hard to read the results in the test results when you use multiple fans. I developed a headache trying to decipher the results between say a stock AMD HSF and HSF's that were benched. Some may disagree with me on this point (esp. those who are curious to see results with other fans), however using the same fan does not diminish the actual cooling results of the heatsink. In the end the results of cooling capability should be the same. Yes, adding a more powerful fan will lower the temp, but this does not say anything about the heatsink itself. You might also try splitting up the charts. Have 100% on a completely different chart from 50% fan speed. This would certainly aid in the reading of your results. I noticed that you sort of did that in the end of your article... but it would be nice to see it split up more. Does that make sense? It's just my opinion and I could be in the minority.

Thanks!

-mpjesse

madshrimp

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
well, I wouldn't say that they perform "better", but rather "more realistic"
but with the 1001 different cases out there, it might be quite a challenge to get a global "realistic" case to test in :)

in an open testbed you'll notice that heatsinks which blow down onto the motherboard will perform better than when placed inside a case.

mpjesse

Splendid
Yes, more realistic is what I meant.

But actually, just the opposite is true with my system. I have a stock AMD HSF on my Athlon X2 4200 and it actually performs better with the case closed. Right now I have the case open and my chipset is at 60C (it's a fanless design) and my CPU is at 40C.

When I put the side of my case back on, my chipset quickly falls below 60C to about 55C and my CPU falls to 32C.

Now, the difference here may be the fact that my case has a fan on the side blowing outside air directly in to the CPU and video cards.

What do you think?

-mpjesse

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
agreed you should use the same fan on all if possible...and agin with the Bar charts my own personal prefence is i prefer them the other way round i find them easier to read.

as for the case just pick a standard one with front intake and rear intake.

madshrimp

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Now, the difference here may be the fact that my case has a fan on the side blowing outside air directly in to the CPU and video cards.
LOL :)
of course that will perform better:) you are actively blowing cool air onto the motherboard

@Flakes: when you say.. the other way around kind of bar chart.. the vertical ones? that would mean a very large graph in width... ?

@mpjesse: I just saw your edit concerning the FAN used: I only ever did a HSF review where different fans were used on each heatsinks making direct performance comparison impossible, that was back in 2002. Ever since than, where-ever possible (some heatsinks have custom sized fans), I use the same FAN on the heatsink I tested. The reason why other fans are named is because I tested with stock fan, and with my "for all heatsinks" fans.

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
What gets me is why they are still making the XP-120, if the SI-120 performs the same if not better and has better compatitbility?

Also, why can't Thermal right make a Copper version of the SI/XP-120 or a copper/alum. mix for better performance?

madshrimp

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I don't think a full copper version will be THAT much better to justify a very hefty pricetag and the current mounting method might not be strong enough for the extra weight.

I'm at loss also why they keep making both XP/SI-120

Kapak

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
madshrimp, are you saying that the XP/SI-120 arent good or are there other reasons? I am planning on buying an heatsink and hesitated between the Big Typhoon and the SI-120 or XP-120. I know you are supposed to test them soon, but I would like your advice at first impression.

madshrimp

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
the XP-120 is good if you pair it with a 120mm fan which pushes enough air. when you want the most silent solution, than a "tower" heatsink will be of more use.

the SI-120 I have not tested, from reviews I've read, performance difference with the XP-120 for CPU is 1-2°C maximum; but the it's mostly the area around the CPU which is cooled better with SI-120, and that's what I like to find out :)

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
madshrimp, are you saying that the XP/SI-120 arent good or are there other reasons? I am planning on buying an heatsink and hesitated between the Big Typhoon and the SI-120 or XP-120. I know you are supposed to test them soon, but I would like your advice at first impression.

Whether you go for the TT Big Typhoon, SI-120, or XP-120, the temp difference between them all is only going to be a couple of degrees.

I would say SI-120=TT Big Typhoon. However, the SI-120 is much easier to install then the TT, so i would say go for the SI-120. I have it, haven't installed it yet, but I plan to on monday.

I can't find a review site directly comparing the SI-120 to the Big Typhoon. Maby madshrimp can be the first to do that. ;)

Kapak

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Thanks to you both. I'll go with the SI-120 if I can find one, or else, I'll take the XP-120. Now for the fan, my guess is that 70cfm+ with a 30dba average would be fine with that?

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
that is $63 + $4 shipping for SI-120, Panaflow low speed fan, and 3.5 gram thermal grease.

What he said, from Sidewinder.

Wait, did you say you can't order online? How else do you expect to get it?

I don't ever think I saw (a good) HS in the store.

EDIT: And the Panaflow is Medium Speed, not low speed.

Kapak

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Oh yeah... Now I just realised I havent set my location to "Canada"
There are 3-4 computer stores near me and they have some good prices on quite a good variety of products. Went on tigerdirect.ca and other sites, and all the prices I found were higher a bit higher than the nearby store. I know they have Panaflo fans, it just seems they dont have the 120mm version of it, I might call them.

Btw, anybody got a link to the manufacturer website of the Panaflo's?

*EDIT*
Nvm for the link to panaflo site:
Panaflo website