Client w/Interesting TS Client and Licensing Issues

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Hi.

I performed a site survey at a new client's site.

They are having some interesting issues connecting to their Windows 2003
Terminal Server where it appears that the login is intermittently failing,
but checking the detail on the event logs shows otherwise; I will be posting
in the client section regarding this problem.

Initially, I thought that the problem they were experiencing was licensing
related, so I started troubleshooting their licensing set up. When I run
the TSCTST command on any of their clients, the result is: The client does
not have a license. Then I looked at their License Servers and noticed that
they were both Windows 2000, which cleared up some of the mystery.

My question is: Since Windows 2000 Terminal Server License Servers cannot
issue licenses for Windows 2003 Terminal Server Clients, and the TSCTST
confirms that the client does not have a license, how is it possible that
they are able to connect to their Windows 2003 Terminal Server at all? The
client reports that the configuration has been running for more than 90
days.

The Terminal Server is set to Per User licensing mode. When I check the
licensing mode, I see a message: The allocation of licenses to users is not
currently managed. Any idea what this means?

Thank You.

Cary Kataoka (caryk@cjrk.com)
CJRK Computer Consulting Inc.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

The grace period for a 2003 TS is 120 days, not 90 days.

The fact that Per User licenses currently are unmanaged is
explained in the following article:

822134 - The Function of Terminal Server CALs in Windows Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822134

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Cary Kataoka" <caryk@cjrk.com> wrote on 11 nov 2004 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> Hi.
>
> I performed a site survey at a new client's site.
>
> They are having some interesting issues connecting to their
> Windows 2003 Terminal Server where it appears that the login is
> intermittently failing, but checking the detail on the event
> logs shows otherwise; I will be posting in the client section
> regarding this problem.
>
> Initially, I thought that the problem they were experiencing was
> licensing related, so I started troubleshooting their licensing
> set up. When I run the TSCTST command on any of their clients,
> the result is: The client does not have a license. Then I
> looked at their License Servers and noticed that they were both
> Windows 2000, which cleared up some of the mystery.
>
> My question is: Since Windows 2000 Terminal Server License
> Servers cannot issue licenses for Windows 2003 Terminal Server
> Clients, and the TSCTST confirms that the client does not have a
> license, how is it possible that they are able to connect to
> their Windows 2003 Terminal Server at all? The client reports
> that the configuration has been running for more than 90 days.
>
> The Terminal Server is set to Per User licensing mode. When I
> check the licensing mode, I see a message: The allocation of
> licenses to users is not currently managed. Any idea what this
> means?
>
> Thank You.
>
> Cary Kataoka (caryk@cjrk.com)
> CJRK Computer Consulting Inc.