Epson stylus 710 prints symbols instead of graphics. Help

abc

This problem occurs occasionally. Instead of printing the page, it
will produce lines of alphbets or symbols---wasting the black ink.
Turning off the machine or pulling out the power plug does not solve
the problem. It will just resume the error when I turn it back on. It
will only stop after it has "finished' .

Seems like it has somehow translated all the graphics into symbols and
refused to clear its corrupted memory. It will costs more than a new
machine to have it repaired.

anyone with a solution? Can I change the memory module myself?

ABC
Do not reply by email.

I am getting ready to buy a new photo printer. Right now I am using a HP
Photosmart 7350. I guess it is fine but I want one that has separate ink
wells. I am tired of one color running out and you have to replace the
whole cartridge. So could somebody or quite a few somebodies recomend a
printer.
Thanks.

I thought that way too, until I noticed that most problem posts on this group concern
Epson and Canon........I bought an HP PSC 2410....and luv it.
Just my .02 worth
Stuuder

alwaysbeencrazy wrote:
> I am getting ready to buy a new photo printer. Right now I am using a HP
> Photosmart 7350. I guess it is fine but I want one that has separate ink
> wells. I am tired of one color running out and you have to replace the
> whole cartridge. So could somebody or quite a few somebodies recomend a
> printer.
> Thanks.

bill

alwaysbeencrazy wrote:

>I am getting ready to buy a new photo printer. Right now I am using a HP
>Photosmart 7350. I guess it is fine but I want one that has separate ink
>wells. I am tired of one color running out and you have to replace the
>whole cartridge. So could somebody or quite a few somebodies recomend a
>printer.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the tri-colour cartridges wasting ink
unless you print a lot of photos that are not typical, such as all blue
skies, logos with all magenta or yellow, etc.

At first I thought separate ink tanks might make a difference. I was
using a Canon i850 which takes four separate ink tanks, but found that
all three of the colours were dropping at roughly the same rate. I was
refilling from bulk ink bottles, so it was easy to see which ink was
being used the most. As it happens, the black ink is the one used up the
most, partly because of text printing, and also because the black is
used in photos. But when it comes to colours, they all get used
relatively the same amount.

I think mostly it's a psychological issue, "Why am I buying a $33
cartridge when my friend is buying an $11 ink tank?". But that's all it
is...at the end of the week, you spent $33 on one cartridge, and your
friend spent $33 on three. If he/she drove there each time, they
actually spent a lot more than you on fuel. :)

I recently bought an HP Deskjet 6540, and it's a nice printer. It's
fast, output is excellent, and so far ink usage is reasonable. The
printer is well designed and built, although I tend to prefer the Canon
software a bit more (I can live with the differences). I found it's
somewhat more quiet when loading paper compared to the Canon, if that
makes any difference.

What I've always liked about HP, is the fact that the printheads are
integrated into the ink cartridges. You never have to worry about
output. If the printhead gets clogged or it fails, just toss in a new
cartridge and the printer is good as new again.

As for print quality, I don't think you'll be disappointed with any
printer, except perhaps the cheapest models. I tend to buy from the
midrange class where price/performance ratios are often the best.

>>I am getting ready to buy a new photo printer. Right now I am using a HP
>>Photosmart 7350. I guess it is fine but I want one that has separate ink
>>wells. I am tired of one color running out and you have to replace the
>>whole cartridge. So could somebody or quite a few somebodies recomend a
>>printer.

I highly recommend the iP4000. Just got one myself and the output is
excellent and you can't beat the cost considering the additional features
like dual paper feeds and built in duplexer. It also has the individual
tanks which is one of the reasons I use only Canon printers now (I own
several) and I also got tired of wasting ink in the old fashioned tri-color
cartridges).

"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:xIKdnbBwr8E_iBXcRVn-vw@golden.net...
> alwaysbeencrazy wrote:
>
>>I am getting ready to buy a new photo printer. Right now I am using a HP
>>Photosmart 7350. I guess it is fine but I want one that has separate ink
>>wells. I am tired of one color running out and you have to replace the
>>whole cartridge. So could somebody or quite a few somebodies recomend a
>>printer.
>
> I wouldn't be too concerned about the tri-colour cartridges wasting ink
> unless you print a lot of photos that are not typical, such as all blue
> skies, logos with all magenta or yellow, etc.
>
> At first I thought separate ink tanks might make a difference. I was
> using a Canon i850 which takes four separate ink tanks, but found that
> all three of the colours were dropping at roughly the same rate. I was
> refilling from bulk ink bottles, so it was easy to see which ink was
> being used the most. As it happens, the black ink is the one used up the
> most, partly because of text printing, and also because the black is
> used in photos. But when it comes to colours, they all get used
> relatively the same amount.
>
> I think mostly it's a psychological issue, "Why am I buying a $33
> cartridge when my friend is buying an $11 ink tank?".

Its more to do with the relative capacities. Not only larger but they
contain real ink not just foam with a dribble of ink. Check the toms
hardware charts for various printer costs.

"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:ecOdnW0lRrn3xBTcRVn-iQ@golden.net...
> Mr Jessop wrote:
>
>> Check the toms
>>hardware charts for various printer costs.
>
> I can point to a review that indicates different results:

> Read the Editor's Choices, and also check the performance tests which
> has a cost per page chart.

Editors choice. canon pixma 4000

editors choice canon i9900

Editors Choice Epson Stylus c66 ooh this one has individual tanks too.

Well iread the whole lot. out of that two canons and an epson. No HP.

As for the cost of inks only the low end canons are mentioned. They have
the smallest tanks and the lowest purchase price but still compare well
against the hps and lexmarks. The pixma ip3000 does well against the
editors choice c66.

All in all this doesn't seem to back up any claims of yours bill your
talking out ya bum!

bill

Mr Jessop wrote:

>> Read the Editor's Choices, and also check the performance tests which
>> has a cost per page chart.
>
>Editors choice. canon pixma 4000
>Well iread the whole lot. out of that two canons and an epson. No HP.

Obviously you didn't read it very well.

Read the alternate choice which, oddly enough, is an HP 6540. They even
mention it's superior graphics quality. But I guess speed was more
important in their ratings, so the Canon won the top prize with a few
seconds of performance difference.

>As for the cost of inks only the low end canons are mentioned.

No, only the four colour printers are mentioned, since comparisons to
six colour printers would not be accurate. More ink tanks means more
money, and an unfair comparison.

I would have liked to see six colour printers compared though.

> They have
>the smallest tanks and the lowest purchase price but still compare well
>against the hps and lexmarks.

Not exactly...the comparison included the iP3000 which uses the BCI-6
ink tanks.

If you look at the black ink tests, the Canon's are superior and you'll
get no argument there. However, since the HP's compare well with most of
the other printers, and they come with a new printhead every time, I see
an advantage there - cost per page versus reliability.

The Canon's also do well in the colour ink tests. But note that the HP
6540 comes in a very close second. A far cry from some people here who
claim that HP cartridges are too expensive and don't have any ink in
them. And also a new cartridge means a brand new printhead, and I see
that advantage again.

This is the main reason I switched back to HP. I liked my Canon i850 and
was very happy with it, till it failed. But I don't like premature
failures of a very critical component such as the printhead.

And by the way, the cost differential between the most expensive and
least expensive model is only 3.7/3.6 cents per page (black/colour). And
between the best rated Canon and HP models, there's only a 1 cent
difference in colour printing, which is where it really matters most.
Not exactly what I would call a big difference.

>All in all this doesn't seem to back up any claims of yours bill your
>talking out ya bum!

It's all about perspective...