SP2 download only

Is there a separate site for download only of SP2?

I would prefer to install it offline and after exiting AV & firewall.

Many thanks
Joe Steele

Hi Joe

You can download SP2 from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi Joe
>
> You can download SP2 from here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Please note that that site says do *not* download from
there is you want it for just one computer.

It says:

"DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller,
more appropriate download will be available soon on Windows Update. To
receive this download, turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows
XP to receive an optimized download of SP2. Please visit Protect Your PC
for more information on receiving Windows XP SP2. "

Will, some of us are still going to want the smaller
download, when it becomes available, for just one
computer, and not as part of any automatic download
and update feature.

--
William B. Lurie

> Please note that that site says do *not* download from
> there is you want it for just one computer.

They just say that so millions of people don't go hogging all Microsoft's
bandwidth. The redist. version will update one computer just fine. It's just
a much bigger file download.
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

In news:uEMHEoThEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
William B. Lurie <billurie@nospam.org> typed:

> Will Denny wrote:
>> Hi Joe
>>
>> You can download SP2 from here:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
>>
> Please note that that site says do *not* download from
> there is you want it for just one computer.

They say that because they want to lessen the downloads on the
site, and because the Windows Update download, which is
customized for *your* computer, is a smaller download for you.

Nevertheless, the CD made from the file downloaded from the above
site works fine on one computer or any number of computers.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

That is a ridiculous statement. Grow up.

Unknown wrote:

> That is a ridiculous statement. Grow up.
> "Alceryes" <replytopost@thankyou.com> wrote in message
>
>>>Please note that that site says do *not* download from
>>>there is you want it for just one computer.

(In above line, a typo...."is" should be "if").
Sorry if I threw you that far by mistyping one letter.

In news:IHLUc.4835$FV3.2606@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com,
Unknown <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> typed:

> That is a ridiculous statement. Grow up.

It's not ridiculous at all. It's correct.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Alceryes" <replytopost@thankyou.com> wrote in message
>> > Please note that that site says do *not* download from
>> > there is you want it for just one computer.
>>
>> They just say that so millions of people don't go hogging all
>> Microsoft's bandwidth. The redist. version will update one
>> computer
>> just fine. It's just a much bigger file download.

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Will Denny wrote:
>> Hi Joe
>>
>> You can download SP2 from here:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
>>
> Please note that that site says do *not* download from
> there is you want it for just one computer.
>
> It says:
>

> "DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller,
> more appropriate download will be available soon on Windows Update. To
> receive this download, turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP
> to receive an optimized download of SP2. Please visit Protect Your PC for
> more information on receiving Windows XP SP2. "
>
> Will, some of us are still going to want the smaller
> download, when it becomes available, for just one
> computer, and not as part of any automatic download
> and update feature.
>
> --
> William B. Lurie

Hi

That's the only file, that I know of, that is available for download ATM.
Whether there will be a smaller file available later - I don't know. What
do you mean by 'smaller'?

--

Will Denny wrote:
> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>
>>Will Denny wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Joe
>>>
>>>You can download SP2 from here:
>>>
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
>>>

>>Please note that that site says do *not* download from
>>there is you want it for just one computer.
>>
>>It says:
>>

>>"DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller,
>>more appropriate download will be available soon on Windows Update. To
>>receive this download, turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP
>>to receive an optimized download of SP2. Please visit Protect Your PC for
>>more information on receiving Windows XP SP2. "
>>
>>Will, some of us are still going to want the smaller
>>download, when it becomes available, for just one
>>computer, and not as part of any automatic download
>>and update feature.
>>
>>--
>> William B. Lurie
>

> Hi
>
> That's the only file, that I know of, that is available for download ATM.
> Whether there will be a smaller file available later - I don't know. What
> do you mean by 'smaller'?

Will, someplace in the Microsoft descriptions I seem to recall
that the single-use version is about 80MB, and this one is
(if I recall) 272 MB.
Bill L.

> Will Denny wrote:
>> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message

>>>Please note that that site says do *not* download from
>>>there is you want it for just one computer.
>>>
>>>It says:
>>>

>>>"DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller,
>>>more appropriate download will be available soon on Windows Update. To
>>>receive this download, turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows
>>>XP to receive an optimized download of SP2. Please visit Protect Your PC
>>>for more information on receiving Windows XP SP2. "
>>>
>>>Will, some of us are still going to want the smaller
>>>download, when it becomes available, for just one
>>>computer, and not as part of any automatic download
>>>and update feature.
>>>
>>>--
>>> William B. Lurie
>>

>> Hi
>>
>> That's the only file, that I know of, that is available for download ATM.
>> Whether there will be a smaller file available later - I don't know.
>> What do you mean by 'smaller'?
>>
> Will, someplace in the Microsoft descriptions I seem to recall
> that the single-use version is about 80MB, and this one is
> (if I recall) 272 MB.
> Bill L.

Hi

That may be the size of the download via Windows Update, taking into account
the fact that SP1/1a is already installed. I can't see that a single file
is going to be available at that size (80 MB), because a system will have to
be checked first to see exactly what is needed to update it.

--

Will Denny wrote:
> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>
>>Will Denny wrote:
>>
>>>"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message

>>>Hi
>>>
>>>That's the only file, that I know of, that is available for download ATM.
>>>Whether there will be a smaller file available later - I don't know.
>>>What do you mean by 'smaller'?
>>>

>>Will, someplace in the Microsoft descriptions I seem to recall
>>that the single-use version is about 80MB, and this one is
>>(if I recall) 272 MB.
>>Bill L.
>

> Hi
>
> That may be the size of the download via Windows Update, taking into account
> the fact that SP1/1a is already installed. I can't see that a single file
> is going to be available at that size (80 MB), because a system will have to
> be checked first to see exactly what is needed to update it.

Fine, Will. I do want the single-use, obtain-via-
Windows-Update version, and will watch W.U......and
then I'll try to find, in the fine print, how to
install it in such a way that I still retain
control of my own machine, what further updates I
want and don't want (as it has been up to now).
Bill L.

--
William B. Lurie

Gordon

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Will Denny wrote:
>> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message

>>>Please note that that site says do *not* download from
>>>there is you want it for just one computer.
>>>
>>>It says:
>>>

>>>"DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller,
>>>more appropriate download will be available soon on Windows Update. To
>>>receive this download, turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows
>>>XP to receive an optimized download of SP2. Please visit Protect Your PC
>>>for more information on receiving Windows XP SP2. "
>>>
>>>Will, some of us are still going to want the smaller
>>>download, when it becomes available, for just one
>>>computer, and not as part of any automatic download
>>>and update feature.
>>>
>>>--
>>> William B. Lurie
>>

>> Hi
>>
>> That's the only file, that I know of, that is available for download ATM.
>> Whether there will be a smaller file available later - I don't know.
>> What do you mean by 'smaller'?
>>
> Will, someplace in the Microsoft descriptions I seem to recall
> that the single-use version is about 80MB, and this one is
> (if I recall) 272 MB.
> Bill L.

You are confusing the Network Install download, which is actually 266MB (not
272) and the downloads obtained through Windows Update, which if your
machine is patched up to date will be anything between 80 and 100 MB,

HTH

Gordon

"Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> That is a ridiculous statement. Grow up.
> "Alceryes" <replytopost@thankyou.com> wrote in message

I think that actually that answer is correct, it WAS done to conserve
bandwidth.

I do not believe the smaller download(s) available on the Windows Update
site will be save-able or transportable.
The full SP is over 200Meg isn't it?

Is there a CD ordering address yet?

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Will Denny wrote:
> > Hi Joe
> >
> > You can download SP2 from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

> Please note that that site says do *not* download from
> there is you want it for just one computer.
>
> It says:
>

> "DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller,
> more appropriate download will be available soon on Windows Update. To
> receive this download, turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows
> XP to receive an optimized download of SP2. Please visit Protect Your PC
> for more information on receiving Windows XP SP2. "
>
> Will, some of us are still going to want the smaller
> download, when it becomes available, for just one
> computer, and not as part of any automatic download
> and update feature.
>
> --
> William B. Lurie

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

I was referring to the statement ' They just say that so millions of people
> Unknown wrote:
>
> > That is a ridiculous statement. Grow up.
> > "Alceryes" <replytopost@thankyou.com> wrote in message

> (In above line, a typo...."is" should be "if").
> Sorry if I threw you that far by mistyping one letter.

I understand thet while the full download is 266 mb if you don't need all of
that then you can wait for the smaller download. However, that will require
that MS checks your OS to figure out how much you will actually need. So if
the big download is easily downloadable by you you download the entire 266
mb.

And then wait a couple of weeks before running the install while SP2 shakes
itself out.

Unless you are a risk taker wait at least 2 weeks.

By the same token disable automatic updates which MS is recommending you
keep on. As for me I don't leave auto updates open for any program. I prefer
to be in control.

Good luck.
--
Regards,
Werner

bullwinkel J. Moose wrote:
> I understand thet while the full download is 266 mb if you don't need all of
> that then you can wait for the smaller download. However, that will require
> that MS checks your OS to figure out how much you will actually need. So if
> the big download is easily downloadable by you you download the entire 266
> mb.
>
> And then wait a couple of weeks before running the install while SP2 shakes
> itself out.
>
> Unless you are a risk taker wait at least 2 weeks.
>
> By the same token disable automatic updates which MS is recommending you
> keep on. As for me I don't leave auto updates open for any program. I prefer
> to be in control.
>
> Good luck.
My attitude all the way, Werner. The only auto-update I permit
is Norton Anti-Virus definitions.

--
William B. Lurie