Sign in with
Your question

Second HD Backup

Last response: in Storage
January 6, 2006 12:58:41 AM

8O Can someone walk me through settingup a second hard drive as backup:I have a IDE 160MD and I'd like to install a second possibly sata drive to use as a mirror in case of failure of original-where do I begin and what programs do I need?(System: Asus A8N-SLI MB, 2xGeoforce 6600GT videocards, Maxtor 160MB HD Sony Combo drive)

More about : backup

January 6, 2006 1:10:24 AM

why not just use an external USB harddrive, it would be a lot of ease to use.
January 6, 2006 2:06:52 AM

:lol:  Your probably right but I have four computers to backup and thought this would be easier on this scale-can I backup that many computer on one external drive?
Related resources
January 7, 2006 12:09:53 AM

Quote:
8O Can someone walk me through settingup a second hard drive as backup:I have a IDE 160MD and I'd like to install a second possibly sata drive to use as a mirror in case of failure of original-where do I begin and what programs do I need?(System: Asus A8N-SLI MB, 2xGeoforce 6600GT videocards, Maxtor 160MB HD Sony Combo drive)

Why a mirror?? why not simply backup of important files? Do you need to have your computer running 24/7 or the world would stop? I don't think so. Don't waste storage space by backing up apps and game you already have install CDs for.

Get a big 300 gigs HDD, an USB 2.0 enclosure and use it to store some backup, or to move files across computer... much more valuable that having a whole drie doing nothing else that waiting for the main drive to fail, which may never happen anyway...
January 7, 2006 11:40:06 PM

:twisted: I don't agree:HD space is super cheap!And yes,if my computer isn't up it does ruin my day!And those games have taken quite an investment of time to get to where I'm at,I do want that stuff saved!I'd just like to know from people with lots more knowledge then I what the best way to backup is!Thanks!
January 8, 2006 3:02:04 AM

Quote:
:twisted: I don't agree:HD space is super cheap!And yes,if my computer isn't up it does ruin my day!And those games have taken quite an investment of time to get to where I'm at,I do want that stuff saved!I'd just like to know from people with lots more knowledge then I what the best way to backup is!Thanks!

Then just go for RAID 1 in this case.
January 8, 2006 3:53:50 AM

:lol:  Now,the way I understand this I'd need two Sata HD's to accomplish this? What happens to my existing IDE drive?
January 8, 2006 1:21:49 PM

It can be reuses as a storage drive or put in an enclosure..

Or if you find similar HDD, raid them ..
!