computer crash.. game only

lycurgon

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
hi, i dont really know whats the the cause of the problem. anyhow... any game that is attempted to play on the pc.. will function for about 20-60 secnds.. then the computer freezes: mouse wont move, etc.. nothing can do about it but restart, any further attempt brings the same result. i first thought it was hd´s problem, changed it and it still persists. if its only Word .. some music it wont crash.. but if the program starts using some video type of things.. it will crash. is it the motherboard. have no video card.. its integrated.

CPU P4, ASSUS P4R800 with Radeon 9100 integrated, 512 DDR ram, Seagate 20gb 5400rpm.

does any 1 have a theory? how do i solve this?

ShortyNumber45

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
what games do you play?, some 3D games will likely to crash or freeze if you're only using the integrated GPU on your board. probably your system specs is below the minimum system requirements of the games that you are playing. If you have a cash buy a video card.

Could be a lot of things - we need more info. What PSU, mfr/model, are you using? What are the readings of the voltage rails - 3.3V, 5V and 12V? Are you getting any BSOD? If yes, then what are the reported errors? have you updated to the most recent drivers? What games specifically are you trying to play?

lycurgon

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Shorty: every game that is attempted to play. from civilization 4 to those downloadable games of 2.5MB from the internet, resuming... any game that uses atleast a little bit of video ram or something. ANY game. those that requires more effort form the pc will last less.. from 10 to 20 seconds. those that require less .. 2-5 minutes.

Rugger: lol. "PSU, mfr/model, voltage rails - 3.3V, 5V and 12V, BSOD"?.

PSU= (power supply unit?) mfr: ViewTech, model: VP-500, voltage rails: ATX 12V/ATX2.03.
BSOD= certainly !! the Windows XP version. almost every 2 days with the old HD, installed a new 1 24hrs ago, and havent seen a BSOD yet. the old 1 reported : "remove all hardware, harddrive and restart, if problem persists contact".... u get the idea.

BorgBR

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Im gonna ask something but dont be mad with me ok ? :oops:

1) Did you tried to update the Bios ?
2) Are you using latest drivers (for graphics, chipset, etc...) ?
3) Your windows is up to date (including SP2, etc..) ?

After your answer I will ask some more ! :)

pat

Expert
hi, i dont really know whats the the cause of the problem. anyhow... any game that is attempted to play on the pc.. will function for about 20-60 secnds.. then the computer freezes: mouse wont move, etc.. nothing can do about it but restart, any further attempt brings the same result. i first thought it was hd´s problem, changed it and it still persists. if its only Word .. some music it wont crash.. but if the program starts using some video type of things.. it will crash. is it the motherboard. have no video card.. its integrated.

CPU P4, ASSUS P4R800 with Radeon 9100 integrated, 512 DDR ram, Seagate 20gb 5400rpm.

First, you have to know that integrated video takes some ram from main system ram.. how much RAM is allocated to the video card?

Maybe getting a video card would fix the problem.

lycurgon

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
yes.. drivers all up to date.. windows vdeo yes yes..... all good and rockin. but the problem doesnt seem to be that... as i have searched the net.. saw some problems related to mine... their cause were the PSU... the pc was under powered.. getting a better and more potente PSU to satisfy the high voltage consumption of the computer solved their problem, wonder if it will solve mine.

lycurgon

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
uhmmmm .. interesting gotta check.. will do that. hope im not that stupid and left the shared video memory to 32MB.

BorgBR

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Well, i dont think this could be a PSU problem, but if you can borrow one from a friend its a good try. :wink:

Im an addicted of games and im always with this kind of problem. The worst problem I got took me almost a year to solve. Everyday I play Warcraft3 and got random crashes, playing from 10min to hours the game could crash or not. :x

Suddenly I discovered that my RAM was good but if I left the RAM options in auto in the BIOS (more specifically the CAS Latency) the game would crash. The RAM specification was CAS 3.0 but I need to setup manually to 3.0.

Now no more crashes last 3 months.

Long story short: pay good attention to your RAM if you gonna play. 8)

lycurgon

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Pat, i put 128mb to video.. problem still persists. i upgraded the CPU from a 1.8 to 2.4... now im worried about the funny noises that its making lol, maybe its the fan making the noisy :? . So its not the HD, not the CPU, not the Drivers, not the video. PSU or mobo?

lycurgon

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
ahmm... my setup doesnt seem to allow me to change the CAS latency.. the only part that has a "CAS" is = "DRAM CAS Select" and gives me 2 options from which to select "slow" and "fast". any toher way?

BorgBR

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
In your first msg you said you have the P4R800, but which one you got, the P4R800-VM or the P4R800-V Deluxe version ?

BorgBR

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Your right, theres is no option to change things like I did. But dont worry.

Some more questions:

1) In my first post I asked you about the bios version. Which one you are using ?
2) Did you have this kind of problem before changing CPU ?
3) Did you ever manage to play something without crashing with this computer ?

Dont give up ! :)

pat

Expert
Maybe the PSU then.. When the onboard video start to do gaming, it uses more power than when it is simply displaying the screen. Then, maybe that after a while, the PSU fail to deliver or overheat.. and the whole system become unstable.

What PSU you have?

benno

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004

well u have the same comp ...that i have but a celeron and more ram.... i sloved this problem with games crashing with a bios upgrade and more memory for the intergrated video chipset...it worked for me

lycurgon

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
benno,

my bios is upgraded, i now have 512+128 RAM of which 128 is being used by the integrated video chip... well beyond this 2.5MB game requirement donwloaded form the net.

lycurgon

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
BorgBR,

3) Did you ever manage to play something without crashing with this computer ?
nop none... the most i played a game is 12mins.. and thats a 32MB downloaded massive multiplayer game that uses JAVA. ops sorry, yes i did manage.... solitary and freecell, if that counts :cry:

2) Did you have this kind of problem before changing CPU ?
it is bc of this problem that i changed the CPU, just for testing. the 2.4 is now making strange noises :?

1) In my first post I asked you about the bios version. Which one you are using ?
http://drivers.soft32.com/driver/download-Asus_P4R800_VM_Bios-21915.html
Asus P4R800-VM Bios1.03 for BIOS & System Updates

lycurgon

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
in the old CPU 1.8 it heated 52°C.. with this new 1... it is heating at 86°C... problem still not solved. the side panel is open.. both side if it makes any diference

BorgBR

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Dude... something are strange here... :?

First one: according to ASUS, the latest bios for your MB is 1.007
http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4r800-vm/P4RVM1007.zip

Second one: 86°C is out of question ! if you have this temperature in your cpu I wonder how your machine is still working at all !!! 8O

If it is making strange noises, maybe your cooler have some problem (that would explain that temperature). Check it and consider changing it.