TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Is there any way to get an lga 775 motherboard and attach a 478 cpu on it?
I know they used to have converters back in the day...
I wanted to know before i order a certain PCI-E 478 motherboard from overseas. :D

I thought about buying the X850XT PE, but if im going to pay that hefty AGP tax i could get a pci-e motherboard instead
for about 100 bucks from the UK and my system would be good until another un-needed video card standard comes along... can u say AGP-EX :lol:

Also i wanted to know:
the motherboard i'm buying: ASUS P4GPL-X supports 478 Prescotts.
I have a 3.0C on 800mhz bus... thats a Canterwood im guessing? are they interchangable?

My current setup:

Asus P4C800 deluxe
Pentium 3.0C @ 3.3 Ghz ( W/ stock fan 48C MAX Load)
1 Gig Corsair 3200 LLPT
Radeon 9800 Pro( 420, Stock Ram) w/ VGA silencer rev. 3

endyen

Splendid
Sorry, no converters.
Canterwood was the pre-release name for the I875 chipset, I'd guess you mean northwoodC.
Any mobo that works with a 478 prescott will be much happier with a NorthwoodC.
Intel does not make a chip that is worth upgrading to, from a 3.0ghz P4C, unless you are looking for a chip, and baseboard heater, in one package.
At present, the only option is to go with an Amd setup. At the same time, you are in good enough shape with your chip, to wait for the new PM based chips, that will be out this year.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Thanx for the quick response.

I think i'm going to go with a 478 Pci-e motherboard then.
I don't really want to invest in a new CPU... especially that mine has more than enough power, and doubles as an efficient heater in the winter time.

I'm certainly not considering upgrading to a higher 478 chip, there really is no room for upgrade... and its not worth it for 100 mhz increase really.
I could hit 3.4+ with better ram and cooling. :roll:

What i need is a PCI-E video card... 7800gtx or radeon 1900 :twisted:

endyen

Splendid
The worst of it is, the prescott chips run much hotter. Since you got your chip, Intel has only been able to increase 800mhz, but those chips can heat a large room.
Your chip should be fine for a few more years.
Good luck

mpjesse

Splendid
I think i'm going to go with a 478 Pci-e motherboard then.

To my knowledge, Socket 478 w/ PCI-e is not made. Try searching for it- you won't find anything that I'm aware of.

Sorry, but you're going to have to go LGA775 if you want PCI-e and intel.

EDIT: just noticed the board you posted. That's the first PCI-e socket 478 motherboard I've seen. Cool. For some reason I cannot find that board for sale in the USA. What's up with that?

-mpjesse

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Surely the question on every ones lips is why ????

Why would any one stick with a socket 478..

Buy a Socket 775 motherboard and a cheap processor a E2160 or a E2180..

These overclock well and will out run any 478 processor by a mile...

On top of getting a 478 with pci express.. the processor will let the pci express 16 down so badly it would be embarrasing..

Give up pal, save some more and buy a new chip and ram..... You will thank me for it in the long run