My very own cockpit?

Last response: in Video Games
March 27, 2005 12:23:46 AM

Hey gang,

I am just about to embark on a building project for my computer. The plan
is to build myself a cockpit as it were...for simming. I would like to have
a monitor lower for the panel and one higher for a full screen window. I
would also like to build it to accommodate my yoke, rudder pedals, and
keyboard conveniently and ergonomically...even a seat built in might be
nice. Has anyone seen anything like this or know of where I might find
suggestions on designing such a thing?

Your ideas are appreciated.

Mr. Steve of who knows where - K??? (Still looking for a home)

More about : cockpit

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 7:40:18 AM

Mr. Steve wrote:
> Hey gang,
>
> I am just about to embark on a building project for my computer. The plan
> is to build myself a cockpit as it were...for simming. I would like to have
> a monitor lower for the panel and one higher for a full screen window. I
> would also like to build it to accommodate my yoke, rudder pedals, and
> keyboard conveniently and ergonomically...even a seat built in might be
> nice. Has anyone seen anything like this or know of where I might find
> suggestions on designing such a thing?
>
> Your ideas are appreciated.
>
> Mr. Steve of who knows where - K??? (Still looking for a home)

The other day I was looking at an add for a performance auto store. In
this add there was a seat. Don't know how good it was , $49. They also
had a four point harness. Small platform for your joystick:)  About the
rest?
March 27, 2005 8:36:48 AM

Pretty Cool. Thanks.

Mr. Steve

> "Mr. Steve"
>> Has anyone seen anything like this or know of where I might find
>> suggestions on designing such a thing?
>
> This should get you started:
> http://www.projectmagenta.com/references/index.html
>
> Dallas

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 12:32:44 PM

I found more ideas in the last couple hours than I've had in a week.
Thanks. I thought I'd share one thing I found. You can use smaller
monitors (cheaper) and use these.
http://tinyurl.com/6lmx6

I found a couple more shape ideas and there was an older gentleman who built
his first one on a small budget...this just may happen.

Mr. Steve

"Mr. Steve" <surveyorsteve@cox.net> wrote in message
> Hey gang,
>
> I am just about to embark on a building project for my computer. The plan
> is to build myself a cockpit as it were...for simming. I would like to
> have a monitor lower for the panel and one higher for a full screen
> window. I would also like to build it to accommodate my yoke, rudder
> pedals, and keyboard conveniently and ergonomically...even a seat built in
> might be nice. Has anyone seen anything like this or know of where I
> might find suggestions on designing such a thing?
>
> Your ideas are appreciated.
>
> Mr. Steve of who knows where - K??? (Still looking for a home)

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 1:24:27 PM

Aslo this could give you some inspiration
http://home.wxs.nl/~jarkest/home.html

See you, Jan

"Mr. Steve" <surveyorsteve@cox.net> wrote in message
> Hey gang,
>
> I am just about to embark on a building project for my computer. The plan
> is to build myself a cockpit as it were...for simming. I would like to
> have a monitor lower for the panel and one higher for a full screen
> window. I would also like to build it to accommodate my yoke, rudder
> pedals, and keyboard conveniently and ergonomically...even a seat built in
> might be nice. Has anyone seen anything like this or know of where I
> might find suggestions on designing such a thing?
>
> Your ideas are appreciated.
>
> Mr. Steve of who knows where - K??? (Still looking for a home)

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 5:32:06 PM

Cheers,

Quilly
"Mr. Steve" <surveyorsteve@cox.net> wrote in message
> Hey gang,
>
> I am just about to embark on a building project for my computer. The plan
> is to build myself a cockpit as it were...for simming. I would like to
> have a monitor lower for the panel and one higher for a full screen
> window. I would also like to build it to accommodate my yoke, rudder
> pedals, and keyboard conveniently and ergonomically...even a seat built in
> might be nice. Has anyone seen anything like this or know of where I
> might find suggestions on designing such a thing?
>
> Your ideas are appreciated.
>
> Mr. Steve of who knows where - K??? (Still looking for a home)

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 5:33:49 PM

I have no idea of the URLs but Google will find about twenty such projects.
One guy has a complete building in his garden with a full jumbo cockpit and
his wife dresses as a hostie and serves coffee, tea or milk...!

Cheers,

Quilly
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 11:41:07 PM

Hi Mr Steve, check this website out ....
http://www.flightexperiance.co.nz/Home this started just like you, now its a
fully fledged business with orders for simulators overseas...... amazing to
think it all came from wanting just a bit more out of a flightsim.

I have seen this simulator, and i gotta tell ya, its awesome

cheers Paul
"Mr. Steve" <surveyorsteve@cox.net> wrote in message
> Hey gang,
>
> I am just about to embark on a building project for my computer. The plan
> is to build myself a cockpit as it were...for simming. I would like to
have
> a monitor lower for the panel and one higher for a full screen window. I
> would also like to build it to accommodate my yoke, rudder pedals, and
> keyboard conveniently and ergonomically...even a seat built in might be
> nice. Has anyone seen anything like this or know of where I might find
> suggestions on designing such a thing?
>
> Your ideas are appreciated.
>
> Mr. Steve of who knows where - K??? (Still looking for a home)

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 1:53:13 AM

www.hyway.com.au/747/747.html

"Mr. Steve" <surveyorsteve@cox.net> wrote in message
> Hey gang,
>
> I am just about to embark on a building project for my computer. The plan
> is to build myself a cockpit as it were...for simming. I would like to
> have a monitor lower for the panel and one higher for a full screen
> window. I would also like to build it to accommodate my yoke, rudder
> pedals, and keyboard conveniently and ergonomically...even a seat built in
> might be nice. Has anyone seen anything like this or know of where I
> might find suggestions on designing such a thing?
>
> Your ideas are appreciated.
>
> Mr. Steve of who knows where - K??? (Still looking for a home)

March 28, 2005 4:48:39 AM

Wayne wrote:

> Have a look here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pav.ladds/index.html
> link borrowed from a post at SimHQ.
>
> HTH Wayne

I am using Netscape 8.0 Browser (beta) and when going to the above link,
Netscape wouldn't show the pages past the first. Just a bunch of HTML.
So I go to IE just to be able to see the pages when I remember (great)
that Netscape 8 had a "Display like IE" as an option. So checking the
first page and choosing to display like IE, everything works.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
March 28, 2005 4:53:59 AM

Mr. Steve wrote:

> I found more ideas in the last couple hours than I've had in a week.
> Thanks. I thought I'd share one thing I found. You can use smaller
> monitors (cheaper) and use these.
> http://tinyurl.com/6lmx6

Bugeye tech has 15" monitors linked side by side with Fresnel lens in
front. I've talked with them but they want more than $2400.00 just for
the 3 monitor setup. I've found a lot of pages where they show how to
setup using Fresnel, I just haven't tried it.

http://www.bugeyetech.com/avsim_files/bfse.html

Here's a page showing how to set them up as well.

http://www.rickleephoto.com/rlcoll.htm

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
March 28, 2005 5:38:28 AM

Here is a basic setup that can save a cockpit builder a lot of time

http://www.bugeyetech.com/theme/conceptW.JPG

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
March 28, 2005 5:38:29 AM

Bob,

That setvp is perfect for me to start ovt with...Does anybody recognize the
yoke it vses? I'm not a great fan of CH becavse it seems to wear fast and
the elevators motion starts to get "sticky" or binds vp becavse it's so
loose. I have been vsing a Teflon lvbricant for a year now. This one looks
like it will last longer than I will. I hope it is one I can get and not
cvstom made by someone with a whole lot more talent than me.

Can anyone tell me if I can rvn three monitors svccessfvlly on one compvter
with two video cards. My cvrrent NVIDIA GeForce svpports dval monitors and
I can add one more. I think my power svpply can handle it if the rest of
the compvter can.

XP Pro
P4C800-E ASUS MB
Intel 3.0G
1Gig RAM
500w PS or bigger (can't remember for svre)
Gainward FX 5700 Ultra Golden Sample

Thanks for all yovr help.

Mr. Steve of who knows where - Maybe of Union Hills - KDVT

"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
news:o eJ1e.20731$ot.4827@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> Here is a basic setvp that can save a cockpit bvilder a lot of time
>
> http://www.bvgeyetech.com/theme/conceptW.JPG
>
> --
>
> boB
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
March 28, 2005 5:47:57 AM

Firefox also displays only HTML when you click on the 'page' links. Note
sure what the problem is but it's with the page for sure as I have never run
across this before.

> Wayne wrote:
>
> > Have a look here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pav.ladds/index.html
> > link borrowed from a post at SimHQ.
>
> I am using Netscape 8.0 Browser (beta) and when going to the above link,
> Netscape wouldn't show the pages past the first. Just a bunch of HTML.
> So I go to IE just to be able to see the pages when I remember (great)
> that Netscape 8 had a "Display like IE" as an option. So checking the
> first page and choosing to display like IE, everything works.
>
> --
>
> boB

March 28, 2005 10:02:14 AM

Mr. Steve wrote:

> Bob,
>
> That setup is perfect for me to start out with...Does anybody recognize the
> yoke it uses? I'm not a great fan of CH because it seems to wear fast and
> the elevators motion starts to get "sticky" or binds up because it's so
> loose. I have been using a Teflon lubricant for a year now. This one looks
> like it will last longer than I will. I hope it is one I can get and not
> custom made by someone with a whole lot more talent than me.
>
> Can anyone tell me if I can run three monitors successfully on one computer
> with two video cards. My current NVIDIA GeForce supports dual monitors and
> I can add one more. I think my power supply can handle it if the rest of
> the computer can.
>
> XP Pro
> P4C800-E ASUS MB
> Intel 3.0G
> 1Gig RAM
> 500w PS or bigger (can't remember for sure)
> Gainward FX 5700 Ultra Golden Sample
>
> Thanks for all your help.

If you buy the Bugeye setup, tell them I sent you and that they had a
special on the 3 monitors for $2000.00 and something.

Here is an email from them

Hi Bob,

Some of the Bugeye display inquiries have requested longer playing
video clips. As an alternative, a theme park training video
demonstrates the use of the Bugeye multi window display.

Though we cannot make this available to the general public, we
have made it available on a limited basis to potential customers.

It's worth the download wait time to see the Bugeye 3W display integrated
into a pilot station using FS2004. A Matrox AGP video card with Bugeye
drivers
is used to provide the out-the-window display. A flight instrument display
is
provided on the lower LCD with the use of an nVidia PCI card, all contained
in
a 3.0 Gigahertz P4 single processor with 1GB RAM.

Here is the link:

<http://www.bugeyetech.com/busdev/themeparks/video.html&...;

Enjoy.

We encourage your comments.