Bluetooth and Epson 2200

I use the Epson Stylus PHOTO 2200 printer. This printer has a big footprint
and is very crowded on my desktop with two monitors an external DVD burner
and a phone. I see that I can buy wirless Bluetooth Printer kit for $70
that will let me place the printer on a table across the room with out the
need of a cable to trip on or snake thru the walls. Has anyone done this?
Does it work? Will it slow the printer down? I have the the USB 1 that
came with my computer and I added a USB 2 card just for the Epson 2200
printer. I don't know if USB2 really makes the printer any faster or not,
then if I just used the USB 1 that came with the machine.

Dave

No one answered the question I posted below, so I will. I went ahead and
bought the blue tooth Printer Kit.
I'm sending it back. It turned a 3 minute printing job into a fifteen
minute printing job! I wrongly assumed that most of the time it takes to
print was due to the mechanical process, not electronic communication. I
was wrong! Dropping back from USB 2 to USB1 and going thru Blue tooth
caused an unacceptable delay to the printing process. Now maybe if there
was a blue tooth printer adapter that worked with USB 2 it would have been a
different story.

Dave

In article <cMedndPvg4KvnxrcRVn-sA@comcast.com>,
porkdebarparts@comcast.net (David DeBar) wrote:

> I don't know if USB2 really makes the printer any faster or not...

According to reviews I recall reading when the 2200 was released, it does.

Jon.

My experiment above confirms what you recall. It makes a BIG difference,
about a factor of five.

I'll put up with the printer sharing the same desk top with my computer
until the Wireless USB 2.0 technology that CWatters above described comes to
market.

Dave

> My experiment above confirms what you recall. It makes a BIG difference,
> about a factor of five.
>
> I'll put up with the printer sharing the same desk top with my computer
> until the Wireless USB 2.0 technology that CWatters above described comes
> market.

You can get USB cable extenders if you don't mind the long wire.

In a past posting I described how a Blue tooth printer adapter on a USB-1
port provided unexcitable slow performance. It slowed the printer down by a
factor of five.

For Xmas I received a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router. I see in the
literature that came with the router that I can buy a "Wireless-G
PrintServer for USB2.0". I wonder if I could buy this and wirelessly attach
my Epson 220 to it with out lose of performance speed. Has anyone done
this?

Dave

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:33:31 -0500, "David DeBar"
<porkdebarparts@comcast.net> wrote:

>In a past posting I described how a Blue tooth printer adapter on a USB-1
>port provided unexcitable slow performance. It slowed the printer down by a
>factor of five.
>
>For Xmas I received a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router. I see in the
>literature that came with the router that I can buy a "Wireless-G
>PrintServer for USB2.0". I wonder if I could buy this and wirelessly attach
>my Epson 220 to it with out lose of performance speed. Has anyone done
>this?
>
>Dave

Check out wireless printing on the Epson site. AFAIK, the only
wireless printing that will work is with the Epson wireless set up as
the printer has no network "intelligence".

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

> Check out wireless printing on the Epson site. AFAIK, the only
> wireless printing that will work is with the Epson wireless set up as
> the printer has no network "intelligence".
>
> --
I don't know what you mean by "network intelligence"

I do know that the printer was smart enough to work with a wireless blue
tooth link.
Slooow, but it worked.

Dave

I bought the Linksys wireless-g printserver. It worked!
Dave

"Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:33:31 -0500, "David DeBar"
> <porkdebarparts@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>In a past posting I described how a Blue tooth printer adapter on a USB-1
>>port provided unexcitable slow performance. It slowed the printer down by
>>factor of five.
>>
>>For Xmas I received a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router. I see in the
>>literature that came with the router that I can buy a "Wireless-G
>>PrintServer for USB2.0". I wonder if I could buy this and wirelessly
>>attach
>>my Epson 220 to it with out lose of performance speed. Has anyone done
>>this?
>>
>>Dave
>>
> Check out wireless printing on the Epson site. AFAIK, the only
> wireless printing that will work is with the Epson wireless set up as
> the printer has no network "intelligence".
>
> --
>
> Hecate - The Real One
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> veni, vidi, reliqui

How did you get the Linksys router to see the Epson 2200. I have been
trying for 2 days with no luck. It will not see the Epson 2200 but sees
other printers fine. I know it has something to do with the way the
Epson monitors the USB port but what exactly I do not know. I have the
Linksys USB WRT54G.

Thanks.

I had some (NO,LOTS OF) trouble getting my Wireless-G (WPS54GU2) installed.
I had to ask my computer nerd son to help me. I had to turn off two fire
walls and remove all the epson drivers that I had already installed on my
computer along with "Epson spool manager". The Spool manager is the little
utility that comes up when you are printing that shows how much ink you have
left in each cartridge. Then I ran the "print driver setup" that the
Lynksys installs on your computer. It asked if I had a disk for my drivers
and I directed it to a folder that contained the most recent drivers that I
had just down loaded from Epson.

The good news is that it prints great with no noticible reduction in print
time.
The bad news is that "Epson spool manager" no longer works. I downloaded
the latest Epson spool manager from Epson and reinstalled it on my computer
but it only shows an all grayed out image of my cartridges. This is bad
because I like to know how much ink I have befor I start a big print job.

I think the way this works is that the drivers are copied onto the
printserver's flash memory. That way only the print server needs to be on
and I can print wirelessly from any computer. I have not found a way to
load the "Epson spool manager" into the PrintServer. Reinstalling it on my
computer does not work.

My son tells me that I might be able to add my very old labtop to the LAN,
leave it on all the time and it will drive the printer and I will be able to
to have "Epson spool manager" working. But then what do I do with the
Linksys Print Server and what good is it?

I hope this helps you. Good luck and please let me know if you find a way
to make your "Epson spool manager" work properly.

Dave