desktop icons reverting back to default?

August 18, 2004 12:35:02 PM

For about a month now, everytime I restart my computer all my desktop icons
revert back to windows default, as does the names I gave them. Example: My
Computer Icon I renamed Our Computer and selected a more personal Icon. But,
when I restart it changes back to default settings. In addition to the Icons
changing back to default settings, the rycycle bin icon has changed to a
folder icon, and I can not change it at all. When shutting down I see that it
is saving settings, but still they change. This is a recent problem, I ve had
XP installed since it was first released. I run virus protection and spyware
programs once a week and Im free of any viruses or spyware.
Can anyone offer any help?
Thanks!
August 18, 2004 2:19:01 PM

You can change icons that are shortcuts by rightclicking
and click "Change icon".
If you change default icons, the next you boot they will
revert back to the default. You do have some limited
choice changing icons for My Computer, My Network Places,
My Documents and Recycle Bin by going here: Rightclick
center of screen/Properties/Desktop tab/Customize desktop
button. After changes are made click OK.

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 2:46:53 AM

Hi Jim,

It's caused by your video driver (nVidia card?) as identified by David
Candy. Here is a workaround from Keith Miller:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2co...

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Window XP Shell/User