desktop icons reverting back to default?

For about a month now, everytime I restart my computer all my desktop icons
revert back to windows default, as does the names I gave them. Example: My
Computer Icon I renamed Our Computer and selected a more personal Icon. But,
when I restart it changes back to default settings. In addition to the Icons
changing back to default settings, the rycycle bin icon has changed to a
folder icon, and I can not change it at all. When shutting down I see that it
is saving settings, but still they change. This is a recent problem, I ve had
XP installed since it was first released. I run virus protection and spyware
programs once a week and Im free of any viruses or spyware.
Can anyone offer any help?
Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about desktop icons reverting back default

    You can change icons that are shortcuts by rightclicking
    and click "Change icon".
    If you change default icons, the next you boot they will
    revert back to the default. You do have some limited
    choice changing icons for My Computer, My Network Places,
    My Documents and Recycle Bin by going here: Rightclick
    center of screen/Properties/Desktop tab/Customize desktop
    button. After changes are made click OK.

    Hi Jim,

    It's caused by your video driver (nVidia card?) as identified by David
    Candy. Here is a workaround from Keith Miller:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&selm=uLzmNykUEHA.1020%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Window XP Shell/User

    "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    For about a month now, everytime I restart my computer all my desktop icons
    revert back to windows default, as does the names I gave them. Example: My
    Computer Icon I renamed Our Computer and selected a more personal Icon. But,
    when I restart it changes back to default settings. In addition to the Icons
    changing back to default settings, the rycycle bin icon has changed to a
    folder icon, and I can not change it at all. When shutting down I see that
    it
    is saving settings, but still they change. This is a recent problem, I ve
    had
    XP installed since it was first released. I run virus protection and spyware
    programs once a week and Im free of any viruses or spyware.
    Can anyone offer any help?
    Thanks!

Default Computers Desktop Icons Windows XP