modem connection problems

I have a home computer that i recently worked on.

the user is trying to setup their home modem... when they look in device
manager, everything looks good... under control panel -> modem / phone
everything is fine... the query works fine and is sucessful... no problems.

when you try to setup a connection to the internet... there is no option to
select use my modem, the user tells me it's blanked out... the only option
is DSL which they do not have.

this is a lucent win modem that works fine with XP...

when looking the remote access connection manger service, we see it is
stopped, and when you try to start it, she gets error 5.

i'm at a loss, i have never run into this issue before... can someone lend
some ideas? ? ?

thanks in advance.

Error 5=access is denied. Go into IE and click tools\internet
options\connections tab and click to highlight the connection listed there
and then click the remove button on the right. Go into your control
panel\network connections and delete all connections. Go into device manager
and delete your modem. Reboot and let windows find your modem. Then go into
network connections and click the new connection wizard and follow the on
screen prompts. Somewhere XP still sees an old connection as active and has
it designated as you default connection. Good luck. {]:~)

thanks... not the case in this one... should of mentioned there was a
restore that was done.

refer to KB329441

thanks!!!