Looking for advice on system and settings

milezd

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I have:

motherboard: ABIT AN8-ULTRA Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD
video card: eVGA 128-P2-N368-TX Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor
memory: OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit
power supply: Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply
sound: integrated
operating system: XP w/SP2

what I want to do is to make sure everything is running as it is suppose to be running (memory at the correct latency, FSB at the correct frequency, do I have enough power for my hardware? etc) but I don't know where to start. Could anyone give recommendations? I am not necessarily looking for recommendations specific to my system just recommendations in general.

I am having some issues with the system locking up/freezing requiring a hard boot and want to make sure I have setup everything correct.

CPUZ

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Have you got some well placed fans in your case? Thats a good place start making sure it will run well.

My memory is set to a latency of 2.5 but I don't think you should go lower than that. If you get any errors change it back to what it was. (A normal error of it being too low is if windows doesn't boot)

PSU wise I think you got taken for a ride... A 500W PSU with only a 6600GT and a 3500+??? What were you thinking or weren't you... My friend has a 3D1 Combo with a 3500+ and he uses only a 300W PSU, but it doesn't really matter as you have bought the PSU... :roll:

The locking up/freezing could be a few things... Things could be getting too hot so get some fans in your case (I wouldn't advise getting a different CPU or GFX cooler as your warranty will become void if you change the cooler) The other thing that fixed a problem like this for me was a GFX driver update...

What do you get in 3DMark05???? This will be the best way to see if everything is running as it should be.. :wink:

linux_0

Splendid
Like CPUZ said check your temperatures and see if your system is overheating.

Check your heatsink to make sure it is seated correctly and check to make sure all your fans are working.

Download memtest86, burn it onto a CDR, boot up and let it run for as long as possible.

If you have bad or flaky RAM memtest86 will find it! Also if your CPU or motherboard are malfunctioning memtest will likely report errors.

http://memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

milezd

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
thanks for the reply

the buying of the 500w PSU was me, I was thinking it was better to be safe then sorry, lesson learned

my temps are
CPU in the 25-30C range
MB in the same range
(from what I read this is good)

dug into the BIOS a little and the memory was not being detected correctly (it is 2-2-2-5) I had to manually set it to get it to correct. System boots fine at that setting. Not sure if there is anything I else I need to do in that department (I hear people talking about having to change their voltage to get the desired settings I am assuming I don't since it works).

I do have memtest86 disc imaged and I ran it for a short period (on the old settings) without issues, I will restart and run it longer

one thing I didn't mention originally is that I did purchase a Thermaltake VENUS 12 80mm Ball Cooling Fan/Heatsink for the CPU, noisy but seems to be ok.

As for my lockup issues, I have been able trace one problem to the onboard sound (getting nvmcp.sys blue screens). I should also clarify, the lockups/crashes are only happening when using games like call of duty 2 & world of warcraft, normal operation, internet, ect all works well (so far).

as for the memtest86, you said let it run as long as possible, it looked like it would run indefinitely if I let it, are you saying let it run a long time just to look for errors?

linux_0

Splendid
I usually run it for 10-24 passes on a normal system. If I'm building a server I sometimes let it run for 3 or 4 days before running any other programs to burn the system in.

Yes it will run indefinitely unless you hit escape to stop it or your computer locks up.

Another good way to test your system for stability is to boot Knoppix and run some tests!

http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso

http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V4.0DVD-2005-08-16-EN.iso

Or you can get one on ebay for just a few bucks.

Good luck

pat

Expert
The first thing to do with freezing is to make sure the memory is OK. I don't test first, I bump the voltage to 2.7v. Can be done in BIOS. If that don't fix, then run memtest.

As for CPUz friend, running with 300w. well, it might be ok, but his PSU is working hard. One day it may find his system not powering up... While 500w is a bit overkill, it won't hurt.

Anyway, it would be his problem..

but for now, get a boost on those memory voltage.

CPUZ

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Try doing what Pat says with the memory and don't forget the GFX card drivers as they can also help..

Are you doing any over clocking of any parts of the PC cause that can cause errors like freezing. If you are try setting everything back to normal and see if it works alright.

milezd

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
GFX card drivers? if you are talking about the latest nvidia drivers you get by going through their "download drivers" page, yes, I've done that, with both the video card and the onboard nforce4 chipset

as for the memory, I did have problems with the low latency setting, I had to back it off a bit to resolve the issues

I did run the memtest86 for an extended period of time, no errors, this process may have helped to burn in a bit because I haven't had any issues since (short period of time though). While I am gone from home today I'm going to leave the memtest running

so with the memory voltage, if you try a CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS setting that the memory is "suppose" to run and it doesn't, you bump the memory voltage up to the next level to see if this helps it be more stable?

linux_0

Splendid
Yup, increasing the voltage usually helps. However it is important to not over do it because you could damage your components.

My guess is memtest86 would probably find some errors running at CAS 2.0

Good Luck

milezd

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
also, how do I determine if the memory is running dual channel?

edit: it is running in single channel

looked through the bios and there was no place to tell it to run dual channel

edit #2: I have the memory in the wrong slots, 1 & 3, not 1 &2, will make that change

edit #3: now running much more stable in the correct slots, have been able to run at 2-2-2-5 2.8v without error

CPUZ

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
You can use a program called CPUZ click just under where it says latest version and download it. Run the exe and then go to the memory tab, where it says Channels # if it have dual, then you have your ram in dual, if it says single then move your ram to the first two slots. On my PC the colour coding indicates that it should be in slots 1 and 3 but it only works in slots 1 and 2.. The program will also tell you lots of other things aabout your PC. :twisted:

milezd

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
thanks! I will give cpu-z a try, would also like to note my motherboard memory slot layout was the same, which I think added to my confusion

Seems as though most of my problems are solved, thanks all for the help!