What's better Geforce5500 or radeon x300

pauldh

Illustrious
Hard to give a simple answer. First, as was pointed out, one is AGP one is PCI-e. Better at what? Gaming? They are both horrible choices for games. The X300 beats out the PCX5750, so I'd say the X300 is better than the FX5500 at gaming. In general the GF FX's are lousy choices unless you need plain old PCI. If you are not talking games, then again the X300 would get my vote.

cleeve

Illustrious
If you're gaming, the best cheapie solution for PCI-express is likely the X1300 PRO, which can be found for under $100.

The best cheapie AGP card is likely the 6600 vanilla.

If you're going to go into the 6600 GT pricerange, get an X800 GT...

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
x300 is faster of the two. Still does not make it a fast card. You may want to tell what your budget is and what you have and what you will be using it for. :lol:

Also motherboards have either agp or pci-e not both. So just asking will not answer your question. Will need more info :idea:

pauldh

Illustrious
For some reason, I don't picture him wanting a new card. I sure could be worng, but I think it's a question of who's is better, my ___ or my friends ___. This would explain the PCI-e/AGP intermingling. :?

iRush

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Not really, my dad bought the ge force 5500 for his computer, and a while later bought the radeom x700, he decided to use the x700 for obvious reasons, and i have an unused 5500 lyeing around my house, im currently using an x300 onn my computer for gaming, which i hate because either everything has to be run on low or some games lag. As of now i have a price range of 100-400$ to spend on a new video card, if you could tell me some of the better cards in this price range for gaming. Oh yea, and if you know, could you tell me how much i would get for trading in the 5500 and the x300. Thanks

linux_0

Splendid
Get a 7800GT PCI-E :D

Really nice card. Or the ATI X1800.

I don't know if you could get much for your 5500 :-(

You might want to check ebay to see how much they are going for.

Good luck!

cleeve

Illustrious
I'd guess you could get $40 for each of them on ebay, but you'd have to check.

You should be able to find a used 6600 GT for around $80 - $100, and that would be light years better.

pauldh

Illustrious
$100-400 to replace a X300, huh; you could get anything except the very top cards. You could get a 7800GT or X800XL, a 6800GS or X800GTO, or a 6600GT/ X800GT; just depends what you want to pay. List your system specs (cpu, RAM, Power supply, motherboard or system manufacturer).

I wouldn't expect much for those other two cards though. You never know as there are some brainless (or at least clueless) buyers on ebay sometimes who will pay more for something than it can be found for new. :eek: