Parts Ordered for Rebuild.....Need Info

BDS

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2004
I ordered the parts for my rebuild last night from Newegg, so I should have everything in hand by early next week. Since I won't have a computer available for internet access during the process, I would like to have everything ready before I start tearing this one down.

Please look at my parts list and, if you have had any experiece with these components, let me know of any potential "gotcha's" or hardware updates (drivers/bios) I may need to be aware of.

MOBO: Asus A8N-E Nforce 4 Ultra

CPU: Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego core

MEM: OCZ 1Gx2 PC3200 #4002048ELDCPE-K Platinum

GPU: Leadtek PX7800GT EXTREME TDH

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250G SATA150

PSU: Antec True Power II 480w

Thanks

superduperdude

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I've heard of problems with Antec power supplies, but they have been reliable for PC's that I've built for my family members. I personally use Enermax (500w Liberty right now) and I've never had a problem before.

I'm currently using the Asus A8N-E and it is rock solid. I've yet to benchmark or overclock on this board (still tweaking it). It's a great balance of performance for gaming and solid build for working.

I have an AMD X2 3800+ that I'm using. That processor is a thing of beauty. I was going to go with the San Diego before I decided to spring for the X2, but I think you'll be in good hands.

OCZ is considered one of the best RAM makers out there, especially by gamers. I've used Kingston, Cosair, Patriot, Geil and OCZ RAM all in the past.

I haven't used a Leadtek board in several years, so no opinion there. I have an XFX 7800GT, and I have to say that that GPU is a fast bastard. I was coming from an ATi X800XL AGP, and I have to say that the difference between the cards is incredible. Good choice in GPU.

Seagate drives are wonderful. Quiet, NCQ and reliable. I have a couple of them and a couple of Western Digital drives. Those are the ones that I trust.

Good luck and have fun with your build.

BDS

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2004
Thanks for the reply, SDD.

What bios revision are you running on your A8N-E and have you had any problems with the chipset fan?

I heard the fan problem was solved with the Revision 2 boards, so I'm hoping that's the one I get from Newegg.

I've also heard some of the 7800GT cards were having "artifact" problems caused by a setting in bios and needed a bios upgrade. Did you have that problem with your XFX card?

krazyIvan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
MB's almost always require BIO's updating, though it shouldn’t hang you up. But of course you won’t know for sure until you boot-up for the first time. From personal experience; pay close attention to/full understanding of jumper settings (ie. read the manual fully) and double check power supply connectors. Also don’t forget to clear your CMOS before you close your case and after you flash your BIO's. If your system hangs at the Logo screen after Flashing BIO’s, hold down the INSERT key while booting.