Sign in with
Your question

New builder with first build...........much confusion.

Last response: in Systems
January 6, 2006 3:09:01 PM

I am wanting to build a game machine for games such as COD-2 and MOH
I am thinking of the following setup.
I am worried about spending bucks in the wrong place or not getting the best bang for the buck. I also am not real sharp on this stuff. Any help is appreciated.

cpu- AMD Athlon 64 3700 San Diego
mobo- Epox 9npa+ Ultra
Video- Evga nVidia 7800GT 256-P2-N516
ram- OCZ Gold Gx 2Gb (2x1Gb) DDR-500 PC4000
Case- Cooler Master Centurion 541
psu- Aspire Atx-cw500w p4--Scratch that, change to Fortron AX450-PN

I do not know what HD to use, like something in the range of 80-120G, please make a recommendation.
Likewise the DVD R/W and a CD R/W

Do I need a floppy?

I have an audigy 2 sound card in my Dell, was hoping to use that. will place the sound blaster value back in that machine.

I guess I need a network card also.

Any thing else? change this for that?

:oops:  :?: :roll:
January 6, 2006 3:31:56 PM

The RC-541 is a microatx case - get the Coolermaster RC-531. And a better PSU then that Aspire. Something like this Fortron 450W should be more than enough for your rig. If you have the extra $$, then this Enermax 535W Whisper II model EG565P is a great PSU. You should be able to use the Audigy2 in the new rig - as long as it is a standard PCI card. The 9NPA+ Ultra has onboard ethernet - you don't need a separate card. Unless you're doing some serious OCing, you'd be good saving some $$ by getting Caorsair Valueselect or Patriot Signature series - no huge performance loss with the looser timings. Even if you're planning on OCing, you can run the memory async without a huge performance loss.
January 6, 2006 3:47:05 PM

Thanks Rugger, I will go check on the ram.
The RC-541 was the Cooler Master, RC-541-SK N1, 45.00 from newegg.
the RC-531 is more expensive, do you think its worth the extra bucks? I do not mind spending if it is for quality.

Thanks again for all the help, you guys are great.
Related resources
January 6, 2006 4:13:32 PM

NEC makes the best DVD ROM drives for the money, 3550A -OEM for under $40 @ NewEgg. Reliable and fast.
January 6, 2006 4:38:37 PM

The 3700+ is a good CPU but there're expensive. If you have the cash go for it, but if you want to save $$$ go for a 3200+ or even a 3000+.

I don't know much about the motherboard and its make so I would try and change that for an nForce 4 mobo like the MSI K8N neo4-F nForce 4, which comes highly recommended as I have one!!! :D 

You also might want to consider changing the GFX card to a Powercolor X1800XL They cost a bit more and they perform better than the 7800GT as their picture is better and they have no driver optimisations in them like the nVidia cards all have. The make Powercolor is a very good make and I've never ever had any problems with them and neither have any of my friends...

HDD space is usually a personal thing as only you know what you want to put on it. I have 2x Seagate 80Gb hdds(With 5 year warranties on them) running in RAID0 and another 80GB with my important stuff as the RAID setup can crash. This would be my recommendation as it will load games very quickly.

For my optical drive I have a Liteon DVD-RW and had no problems with it..

Floppy drives have been replaced by Flash drives so you don't need a floppy drive unless you still have data on a floppy disk...

Almost all motherboards come with a LAN port on then and some even come with 2, so you won't need a seperate card(Unless the onboard one gets blown some how)

Another option for a CPU would be to go dual core if you do a lot of things on your PC at once or you do video editing, but for gaming a dual core won't help unless the game has the support for dual core, then it will help a lot.

All in all it will be a good PC and run games very well!!! :twisted:
January 6, 2006 5:07:48 PM

LiteOn is good too and cheap. DVD-Rs are so cheap now.

And yes the Audigy 2 is standard PCI so it will work fine :-)
January 6, 2006 6:03:34 PM

Your components won't fit in the RC-541 because the case is micro-ATX (small) and the components are full ATX.
January 6, 2006 7:53:07 PM

Rugger, please forgive my ignorance :oops:  :oops: 
I miss read your answer, thought you were saying it was
a different "Brand" of case. I see now what you ment.
Thanks for pointing that out to me, for I would not have
known the difference.
January 7, 2006 9:23:35 AM

If your going to overclock check out the DFI lanparty motherboards, rock solid and plenty of options for overclocking. Dont skimp on your power supply, spend the money on a good brand, Antec, enermax, ect.
!