148 vs 150 vs 4000+

Lockey

Distinguished
May 28, 2005
'Lo, I was woundering If anyone could give me a hand, I'm about to build a new rig with the sole intention of it being a pure gaming machine and the question of what processor has always been awnsered firmly by saying "4000+" Due to it being a good performer and a decent price (You'd have to be mad to pay FX Prices!).

But I have a friend who's just been talking to me about the Oppy. Apparently they can hit FX57 speeds on air and the system i'm building going to be water cooled. So the question that has come up is, Would a OC'd Oppy be better for gaming than a 4000+.

And if so which would be best the 150 or the 148 (i.e. Is there a real differance and is it worth the price?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Cheers.

linux_0

Splendid
Heard good things about the 939 Opterons overclocking well.

Having said that it depends how far you're gonna push it.

Also heard there is some kind of shortage so it depends on whether or not you can actually get one.

I've built several socket 940 opterons and they work great but I've never played games on them because they were servers. They kicked serious butt in just about everything I did especially running FC3 x86_64 :-D :-D

I have some disk benchmarks if you want to see them.

RichardL

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Good Question Lockey...
I am looking for an answer to the same question.
I want to build a gaming machine, that can handle my other work too.

I want to do some crazy overclocking and everyone says Opty's are the best for that. But I can't find any benchmark results that compare Opteron's with A64s for gaming.

Please.... Does any one have any side by side results for 3DMark05, and other gaming benchmarks... that show FX, A64, X2, and Opterons!!!?

I love this article http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/21/the_mother_of_all_cpu_charts_2005/page24.html but I wish there were Opteron's on this too. I know they are for servers, but they work in Socket 939 mobos right?

sleepdeprived82

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Well the 939 optys are Athlon 64 San diegos so they are benchmarked on the chart my friend, well some of them any way.

3700+ is a 148
4000+ is a 150

The only difference is that the opteron will more than probably overclock higher than the Athlon 64.

The optys are just the cream of the Athlon crop as some one has said before take a production run of the Athlon, the damged ones become semprons, the best become opterons the middle become Athlons.

If you want to know how far an opty will go look Here

My 146 is sitting happy inecsess of fx-57 speeds

Ask yourself do I need to overclock if yes go opty, if your happy with stock speeds go Athlon.

Me I was driven by getting a bargin fx-57 for £110 however there is always a chance your chosen chip just will not overclock.

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
But I have a friend who's just been talking to me about the Oppy. Apparently they can hit FX57 speeds on air and the system i'm building going to be water cooled. So the question that has come up is, Would a OC'd Oppy be better for gaming than a 4000+.

I have a 148 939 pin Opteron, OC'd to 2750 on stock HSF and Vcore stable. Runs very good. Highly recomend. 8)