Screen hang on some users

bg

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

I have a strange problem that I'm having a hard time with. Some users often
experience that the screen/system hangs or is extremely slow. It sometimes
resolves itself after a minute or two, other times the user has to be logged
off and on again.

I have checked processes, event viewer etc. and have come up with nothing
irregular. The problem does not seem to appear on a certain time og during
certain conditions (as far as I can tell).

Recently the users switched offices between themselves (had not anything to
do with the problem) and the same users experience it still. So it's not
cables etc.

The system is:
1 Win2000 Terminal Server SP4
1 Win2000 Fileserver SP4
1 Cisco Pix 506

The thin clients are a mix of laptops, old computers and VXL thin clients.

BG

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Try:

Terminal Server stops responding when idle sessions are being ended
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828662

Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server Stops Responding
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821467

Windows Server 2003-Based Computer Becomes Unresponsive to RDP Sessions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826139

And .. verify your connection...

"BG" <young_neils@hotmail.com> escreveu na mensagem
> I have a strange problem that I'm having a hard time with. Some users
often
> experience that the screen/system hangs or is extremely slow. It sometimes
> resolves itself after a minute or two, other times the user has to be
logged
> off and on again.
>
> I have checked processes, event viewer etc. and have come up with nothing
> irregular. The problem does not seem to appear on a certain time og during
> certain conditions (as far as I can tell).
>
> Recently the users switched offices between themselves (had not anything
> do with the problem) and the same users experience it still. So it's not
> cables etc.
>
> The system is:
> 1 Win2000 Terminal Server SP4
> 1 Win2000 Fileserver SP4
> 1 Cisco Pix 506
>
> The thin clients are a mix of laptops, old computers and VXL thin clients.
>

> BG

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Since these hotfixes are for Windows 2003, and BG is running W2K,
they won't solve his problem, I'm afraid.

BG, just a wild guess, but have you checked this:

888562 - You experience slow performance when you use Windows 2000
Server or Windows Server 2003 to access files on a computer that is
running Windows 2000 Server or Windows NT 4.0
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=888562

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Janaina Rodrigues" <jrodrigues@sattours.com.br> wrote on 31 jan
2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> Try:
>
> Terminal Server stops responding when idle sessions are being
> ended
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828662
>
> Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server Stops Responding
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821467
>
> Windows Server 2003-Based Computer Becomes Unresponsive to RDP
> Sessions
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826139
>
> And .. verify your connection...
>
> "BG" <young_neils@hotmail.com> escreveu na mensagem
>> I have a strange problem that I'm having a hard time with. Some
>> users
> often
>> experience that the screen/system hangs or is extremely slow.
>> It sometimes resolves itself after a minute or two, other times
>> the user has to be
> logged
>> off and on again.
>>
>> I have checked processes, event viewer etc. and have come up
>> with nothing irregular. The problem does not seem to appear on
>> a certain time og during certain conditions (as far as I can
>> tell).
>>
>> Recently the users switched offices between themselves (had not
>> anything
>> do with the problem) and the same users experience it still. So
>> it's not cables etc.
>>
>> The system is:
>> 1 Win2000 Terminal Server SP4
>> 1 Win2000 Fileserver SP4
>> 1 Cisco Pix 506
>>
>> The thin clients are a mix of laptops, old computers and VXL
>> thin clients.
>>

>> BG

bg

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

When I remote control the users when the problem occurs I see that if I end
the WINWORD process, then it resolves the problem. But this is not of course
just the issue, since winword (Office 2003) is used all the time. I have
searched for a solution (office 2003/word/win2000 ts) on support.microsoft
but have not found anything yet.

BG

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> Since these hotfixes are for Windows 2003, and BG is running W2K,
> they won't solve his problem, I'm afraid.
>
> BG, just a wild guess, but have you checked this:
>
> 888562 - You experience slow performance when you use Windows 2000
> Server or Windows Server 2003 to access files on a computer that is
> running Windows 2000 Server or Windows NT 4.0
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=888562
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "Janaina Rodrigues" <jrodrigues@sattours.com.br> wrote on 31 jan
> 2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:
>
>> Try:
>>
>> Terminal Server stops responding when idle sessions are being
>> ended
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828662
>>
>> Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server Stops Responding
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821467
>>
>> Windows Server 2003-Based Computer Becomes Unresponsive to RDP
>> Sessions
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826139
>>
>> And .. verify your connection...
>>
>> "BG" <young_neils@hotmail.com> escreveu na mensagem
>>> I have a strange problem that I'm having a hard time with. Some
>>> users
>> often
>>> experience that the screen/system hangs or is extremely slow.
>>> It sometimes resolves itself after a minute or two, other times
>>> the user has to be
>> logged
>>> off and on again.
>>>
>>> I have checked processes, event viewer etc. and have come up
>>> with nothing irregular. The problem does not seem to appear on
>>> a certain time og during certain conditions (as far as I can
>>> tell).
>>>
>>> Recently the users switched offices between themselves (had not
>>> anything
>>> do with the problem) and the same users experience it still. So
>>> it's not cables etc.
>>>
>>> The system is:
>>> 1 Win2000 Terminal Server SP4
>>> 1 Win2000 Fileserver SP4
>>> 1 Cisco Pix 506
>>>
>>> The thin clients are a mix of laptops, old computers and VXL
>>> thin clients.
>>>

>>> BG

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Make sure that Office is configured to *not* use background spell
checking and grammar checking. These are real performance killers.

--

"BG" <young_neils@hotmail.com> wrote on 01 feb 2005 in