Never print colour but printer consuming color ink

I have a Canon i455 which I use to print only in black ink. How come
the colour ink is depleting at a "alarming rate". I use up two blank
cartridges and the originally full color cartridge is going empty
soon. Why?

Can I just leave the empty color cartridge as it is and continue to
print only in black. Any damage to the printer?

Thanks!
17 answers Last reply
More about never print colour printer consuming color

    Several of the printer companies use combination ink to lay a base or black
    color with the black..

    "Ivan" <iissmm@yahoo.com.sg> wrote in message
    >I have a Canon i455 which I use to print only in black ink. How come
    > the colour ink is depleting at a "alarming rate". I use up two blank
    > cartridges and the originally full color cartridge is going empty
    > soon. Why?
    >
    > Can I just leave the empty color cartridge as it is and continue to
    > print only in black. Any damage to the printer?
    >
    > Thanks!

    "Ivan" <iissmm@yahoo.com.sg> wrote in message
    >I have a Canon i455 which I use to print only in black ink. How come
    > the colour ink is depleting at a "alarming rate". I use up two blank
    > cartridges and the originally full color cartridge is going empty
    > soon. Why?
    >
    > Can I just leave the empty color cartridge as it is and continue to
    > print only in black. Any damage to the printer?

    There are a few reasons this may be happening such as driver settings, type
    of print jobs, type of application (text vs graphics), etc.
    Do not run the printer with out the color tank in place or constantly dry as
    this may cause damage to the printhead preventing the colors from working
    again should you ever decide you need to print color.

    "Ivan" <iissmm@yahoo.com.sg> wrote in message
    >I have a Canon i455 which I use to print only in black ink. How come
    > the colour ink is depleting at a "alarming rate". I use up two blank
    > cartridges and the originally full color cartridge is going empty
    > soon. Why?
    >
    > Can I just leave the empty color cartridge as it is and continue to
    > print only in black. Any damage to the printer?
    >
    > Thanks!

    The printer may not let you continue to print. If it did you may burn out
    the colour nozzles.

    "Ivan" <iissmm@yahoo.com.sg> wrote in message
    >I have a Canon i455 which I use to print only in black ink. How come
    > the colour ink is depleting at a "alarming rate". I use up two blank
    > cartridges and the originally full color cartridge is going empty
    > soon. Why?
    >
    > Can I just leave the empty color cartridge as it is and continue to
    > print only in black. Any damage to the printer?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Maybe cleaning the nozzles each time it's turned on? I had several inkjets
    in the past and had to keep replacing the inks even though I rarely printed
    colors, so I now mainly use b/w laser and color laser. I do have an Epson
    R200 for photo prints only so it doesn't go into ink wasting cleaning duty
    too often.

    "Jimw" <jimnluna@isp.com> wrote in message
    > Several of the printer companies use combination ink to lay a base or
    black
    > color with the black..

    My HP is set by default to print grayscales using the color cartridge. There
    is an option to force it to only use the black cartridge.

    "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:<dyShd.15479$KJ6.14158@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...

    > Maybe cleaning the nozzles each time it's turned on? I had several inkjets
    > in the past and had to keep replacing the inks even though I rarely printed
    > colors, so I now mainly use b/w laser and color laser. I do have an Epson
    > R200 for photo prints only so it doesn't go into ink wasting cleaning duty
    > too often.

    So in other words I am consuming colour ink even though I don't print
    in colour at all. I had set the printer correctly to print only in
    greyscale as default.

    And while I was printing only in greyscale, when I used up about two
    cartridges of black ink, the colour ink cartridge will also be almost
    empty. Pretty expensive.

    I noticed that whenever I started to print, the printer will be
    rattling a lot before the actual printing can be completed. So if what
    you said is true, those rattling must be the cleaining sequence. And
    this happens almost everytime in between print jobs. And this process
    waste colour ink. Is there any good way to save on the ink?

    Would appreciate if others can also give some advise.

    Each time most inkjet printers are turned on, the printer goes through a
    cleaning cycle to clear any drying ink from the nozzles of the head.
    This is done to all the head nozzles, which means black and colors.

    So, over time, the colored inks will also run down.

    Some printers allow you to print in black only without a color cartridge
    installed. In some printers, where the head is incorporated into the
    cartridge, (HP, Lexmark, and some older Canon) the danger of damage is
    zero, because if the cartridge is removed the head leaves with it.

    If you have no need for color printing at all, for the foreseeable
    future, you could just fill the color cartridges with water a glycol
    water mix which would cost you a few cents, and refill it as you run
    low. This should protect the color heads and also help flush the ink
    out of the heads so they won't clog.

    Art

    Ivan wrote:

    >I noticed that whenever I started to print, the printer will be
    >rattling a lot before the actual printing can be completed. So if what
    >you said is true, those rattling must be the cleaining sequence. And
    >this happens almost everytime in between print jobs. And this process
    >waste colour ink. Is there any good way to save on the ink?

    I missed the start of this thread, but if you have a model that allows
    removal of the colour cartridges, then remove them and keep them in a
    proper container or ziplock bag until you need them. That way it won't
    waste any ink.

    However, some models require all of the cartridges to be installed.

    >Would appreciate if others can also give some advise.

    Until recently, I had a Canon i850 that required the presence of all of
    its ink tanks. There was no sensor to determine if the tanks were
    present or not (only if the reservoir is empty).

    If you remove any of them, the printer merely assumes they're there. And
    if you print with any of the missing colours, the printhead may be
    damaged as the ink is used to help keep the inkjet nozzles cool.

    My new HP 6540 uses a tri-colour cartridge and it prints in black
    without the colour cartridge installed, or if it's empty. It will also
    print without the black.

    If you don't need colour printing, I suggest you consider getting a
    laser printer for your black and grayscale needs. You don't have to
    worry about any of the ink drying issues.

    "Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:ecOdnXIlRrn3xBTcRVn-iQ@golden.net...
    > Ivan wrote:
    >
    >>I noticed that whenever I started to print, the printer will be
    >>rattling a lot before the actual printing can be completed. So if what
    >>you said is true, those rattling must be the cleaining sequence. And
    >>this happens almost everytime in between print jobs. And this process
    >>waste colour ink. Is there any good way to save on the ink?
    >
    > I missed the start of this thread, but if you have a model that allows
    > removal of the colour cartridges, then remove them and keep them in a
    > proper container or ziplock bag until you need them. That way it won't
    > waste any ink.

    But in doing this you will certainly run the risk of causing premature
    failure of the printhead.

    > However, some models require all of the cartridges to be installed.

    And for a very good reason!

    >>Would appreciate if others can also give some advise.
    >
    > Until recently, I had a Canon i850 that required the presence of all of
    > its ink tanks. There was no sensor to determine if the tanks were
    > present or not (only if the reservoir is empty).
    >
    > If you remove any of them, the printer merely assumes they're there. And
    > if you print with any of the missing colours, the printhead may be
    > damaged as the ink is used to help keep the inkjet nozzles cool.

    Then why recommend someone do this.
    By the way, contradicting and incorrect statement you have made above.

    > My new HP 6540 uses a tri-colour cartridge and it prints in black
    > without the colour cartridge installed, or if it's empty. It will also
    > print without the black.

    And you risk the same damage as it uses the same ink delivery process.

    > If you don't need colour printing, I suggest you consider getting a
    > laser printer for your black and grayscale needs. You don't have to
    > worry about any of the ink drying issues.

    BINGO!

    On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 20:52:48 -0500, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:

    >"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:ecOdnXIlRrn3xBTcRVn-iQ@golden.net...
    >> Ivan wrote:
    >>
    >>>I noticed that whenever I started to print, the printer will be
    >>>rattling a lot before the actual printing can be completed. So if what
    >>>you said is true, those rattling must be the cleaining sequence. And
    >>>this happens almost everytime in between print jobs. And this process
    >>>waste colour ink. Is there any good way to save on the ink?
    >>
    >> I missed the start of this thread, but if you have a model that allows
    >> removal of the colour cartridges, then remove them and keep them in a
    >> proper container or ziplock bag until you need them. That way it won't
    >> waste any ink.
    >>

    >But in doing this you will certainly run the risk of causing premature
    >failure of the printhead.
    >
    >> However, some models require all of the cartridges to be installed.
    >>

    >And for a very good reason!
    >
    >>>Would appreciate if others can also give some advise.
    >>
    >> Until recently, I had a Canon i850 that required the presence of all of
    >> its ink tanks. There was no sensor to determine if the tanks were
    >> present or not (only if the reservoir is empty).
    >>
    >> If you remove any of them, the printer merely assumes they're there. And
    >> if you print with any of the missing colours, the printhead may be
    >> damaged as the ink is used to help keep the inkjet nozzles cool.
    >>

    >Then why recommend someone do this.
    >By the way, contradicting and incorrect statement you have made above.
    >
    >> My new HP 6540 uses a tri-colour cartridge and it prints in black
    >> without the colour cartridge installed, or if it's empty. It will also
    >> print without the black.
    >>

    >And you risk the same damage as it uses the same ink delivery process.
    >
    >> If you don't need colour printing, I suggest you consider getting a
    >> laser printer for your black and grayscale needs. You don't have to
    >> worry about any of the ink drying issues.
    >
    >BINGO!

    I have an HP-5550; there is a setting to use the Black Cart only
    without having to remove the colour cart. I assumed that most inkjets
    provided this feature.

    "E. Barry Bruyea" <summers@gone.ca> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 20:52:48 -0500, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:
    >

    >>"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message

    >>> I missed the start of this thread, but if you have a model that allows
    >>> removal of the colour cartridges, then remove them and keep them in a
    >>> proper container or ziplock bag until you need them. That way it won't
    >>> waste any ink.
    >>>

    >>But in doing this you will certainly run the risk of causing premature
    >>failure of the printhead.
    >>
    >>> However, some models require all of the cartridges to be installed.
    >>>

    >>And for a very good reason!

    >>> Until recently, I had a Canon i850 that required the presence of all of
    >>> its ink tanks. There was no sensor to determine if the tanks were
    >>> present or not (only if the reservoir is empty).
    >>>
    >>> If you remove any of them, the printer merely assumes they're there. And
    >>> if you print with any of the missing colours, the printhead may be
    >>> damaged as the ink is used to help keep the inkjet nozzles cool.
    >>>

    >>Then why recommend someone do this.
    >>By the way, contradicting and incorrect statement you have made above.
    >>
    >>> My new HP 6540 uses a tri-colour cartridge and it prints in black
    >>> without the colour cartridge installed, or if it's empty. It will also
    >>> print without the black.
    >>>

    >>And you risk the same damage as it uses the same ink delivery process.
    >>
    >>> If you don't need colour printing, I suggest you consider getting a
    >>> laser printer for your black and grayscale needs. You don't have to
    >>> worry about any of the ink drying issues.
    >>
    >>BINGO!
    >

    > I have an HP-5550; there is a setting to use the Black Cart only
    > without having to remove the colour cart. I assumed that most inkjets
    > provided this feature.

    Many do, many do not

    PC Medic wrote:

    > "Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:ecOdnXIlRrn3xBTcRVn-iQ@golden.net...
    >
    >>Ivan wrote:
    >>

    >>>I noticed that whenever I started to print, the printer will be
    >

    >>My new HP 6540 uses a tri-colour cartridge and it prints in black
    >>without the colour cartridge installed, or if it's empty. It will also
    >>print without the black.
    >>

    > And you risk the same damage as it uses the same ink delivery process.

    Is this true? This printer uses the 96 and 97 cartridges, and I
    suspected these were a contained ink and head combo cartridge, meaning
    if the cartridge was removed, so would the head be, and therefore I do
    not see how the printer, or head would be at risk...

    Art

    "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
    > PC Medic wrote:
    >> And you risk the same damage as it uses the same ink delivery process.
    >
    > Is this true? This printer uses the 96 and 97 cartridges, and I suspected
    > these were a contained ink and head combo cartridge, meaning if the cartridge
    > was removed, so would the head be, and therefore I do not see how the
    > printer, or head would be at risk...

    Art is correct - once again PC Medic is spreading misinformation. The DeskJet
    6540 uses integrated printheads; if you remove one of the cartridges and print
    with only the black (or only the color) there will not be any damage to the
    remove printhead as it is contained in the cartridge. The removed cartridge
    should be stored in the humidor (a small plastic capping station) to prevent
    the cartridge from drying out when it is outside the printer.

    This is a different situation than would be the case with a separate ink and
    printhead printer, when the printheads would remain in the printer and might
    dry out or otherwise be damaged if run without ink. That was probably the case
    PC was referring to, but it does not apply to the DeskJet printers.

    As another poster mentioned, there is also a setting in the driver to print
    with only the black cartridge while leaving the color cartridge installed in
    the DeskJet 6540 driver. The printer will still do a very limited amount of
    servicing of the color cartridge at the end of a print job.

    "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message

    > PC Medic wrote:
    >
    >> "Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message

    >>>My new HP 6540 uses a tri-colour cartridge and it prints in black
    >>>without the colour cartridge installed, or if it's empty. It will also
    >>>print without the black.
    >>>

    >> And you risk the same damage as it uses the same ink delivery process.
    >>

    > Is this true? This printer uses the 96 and 97 cartridges, and I suspected
    > these were a contained ink and head combo cartridge, meaning if the
    > cartridge was removed, so would the head be, and therefore I do not see
    > how the printer, or head would be at risk...

    I stand corrected. On models where the tank is an integral part of the
    printhead this obviously would not be an issue.

    E. Barry Bruyea wrote:

    > I have an HP-5550; there is a setting to use the Black Cart only
    > without having to remove the colour cart. I assumed that most inkjets
    > provided this feature.

    That would likely allow the black ink to be used during any printing,
    but it may not stop the printer from doing cleaning cycles of the color
    cartridge on start up or otherwise.

    Art

    E. Barry Bruyea wrote:

    >I have an HP-5550; there is a setting to use the Black Cart only
    >without having to remove the colour cart. I assumed that most inkjets
    >provided this feature.

    All inkjet printers I've ever come across in the last several years have
    a grayscale option. But even so, the colour cartridge is still cleaned
    as a preventative measure.

    If you don't intend to do any colour printing for a while, and your
    printer has integrated printheads in the cartridges, then you can safely
    remove the colour cartridge and store it properly. That way no colour
    ink is used at all.

    Arthur Entlich wrote:

    >>>My new HP 6540 uses a tri-colour cartridge and it prints in black
    >>>without the colour cartridge installed, or if it's empty. It will also
    >>>print without the black.
    >>
    >> And you risk the same damage as it uses the same ink delivery process.
    >
    >Is this true?

    Not at all.

    > This printer uses the 96 and 97 cartridges, and I
    >suspected these were a contained ink and head combo cartridge, meaning
    >if the cartridge was removed, so would the head be, and therefore I do
    >not see how the printer, or head would be at risk...

    That was the point of my post...the HP printers can not accidentally
    damage the printheads since they are removed with the cartridge. Only
    printers that have a separate printhead inside the machine would be at
    risk of damage or clogging.

Printers Canon Peripherals