Critique my mid-range gaming build

MrStupendous

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Hey all,
I'm looking for feedback on a system I'm planning.

I'm mostly interested in gaming and multimedia, with the intent of eventually turning this into a PVR box. I also need the ability to effectively multitask multiple windows and a large database.

I have never overclocked before, and probably won't try to start with this machine. If I do, I won't be doing anything aggressive.

So without further ado:
CPU: AMD x2 4400+
MoBo: Asus A8N-E
Memory: 2x1GB OCZ PC3200 Platinum, 2-3-2-5
GPU: 256MB eVGA 7800GT CO
HD: Maxtor 250GB 16MB Cache SATA2
Optical Drive: Benq 16x DVD-RW w/Lightscribe, 2MB buffer
Case/PS: Antec Sonata w/450w

Everything is retail box, thus far. Can anyone recommend any tweaks to my build?

Thanks,
Ryan

pat

Expert
I would change the mobo for the A8R-MVP and get an ATI AIWx1800xl video card.

The noise from the chipset fan will make you crazy when you be doing PVR stuff. The one I suggest don't have any chipset fan and since you don't plan on heavy overclocking, you won't have to care. Even if you do overclock, you won't want to care anyway...

The video card has a tv tuner and all the usefull thing for PVR stuff.. And good at gaming

I would not get a lightscribe burner. the Benq 1640 is a much better drive. Just get an Epson r220 printer that print directly on dvd with printable surface and you,ll get much better result.

The key word to PVR and multimedia box is quiet. i have a nice Samsung HDD, with 250 gigs that i don't hear and perform well.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I agree with Pat on foregoing the lightscribe, and the BenQ DW1640 is most excellent drive. I really don't think you need to spending so much on memory. You can get 2x1GB of some really good stuff for around $200. Try http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227210. Spend the difference elsewhere.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
people say that maxtor drives arnt as reliable as other brands... i had a maxtor for 2 years until it died (80 gig) u might wanna consider western digital or another popular brand to ensure a longer life in ur HD

Dealerluck

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Have you seen the price for the media for the lightscribe? What a rip off! Its like selling printers for under cost so they can screw you on the price of ink.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Everything sounds quite well to me to be honest with you. The evga was good on the graphics card. Right now Ati isnt doing so hot in the graphics battle. They are producing a little too late lately. Also you picked a good manufacturer. Asus version has an extremely loud fan. I would suggest removing the fan and going with a zalman fan for the gpu it cools well and is quieter.