Terminal Services Graphics Card to Improve RDP Performance

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2005 12:12:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Hi all

Can anyone tell me if upgrading the graphics card on a Windows 2003 Terminal
Services server will improve RDP session performance for users?
Is the graphics card utilised at all for remote desktops and, if so, for
what tasks?

Many thanks for your expert opinions!

Best wishes
Paul
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2005 12:12:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

The graphics data sent from the server to the client in a TS session
is generated 'by the operating system' rather than 'by the video
card'. Thus it does not matter what video card is installed on the
system.
If you want to enhance performance, try lowering the number of
colours and the resolution of the session in the rdp client.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Paul D" <please_reply_to_newsgroup@something.com> wrote on 01 feb
2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> Hi all
>
> Can anyone tell me if upgrading the graphics card on a Windows
> 2003 Terminal Services server will improve RDP session
> performance for users? Is the graphics card utilised at all for
> remote desktops and, if so, for what tasks?
>
> Many thanks for your expert opinions!
>
> Best wishes
> Paul
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2005 11:28:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Thank you, Vera, for your answer. Your view is as I had always believed.
The trouble is, a Microsoft Partner is telling me otherwise.
Hence, if there is anyone else out there who can either aggree or disagree
to this, then I would also be very pleased to hear from them.

Kind regards
Paul
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2005 6:50:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

You want an "authorative" answer, right :-)

In case nobody else replies, I actually "stole" my reply to you
from an earlier post by Ivan Leichtling, who is (or was at the
moment that he posted) a Microsoft employee.
You can find his original post on Google:

http://groups-
beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps/msg/28
39781d5c9b7e9e?dmode=source

--

"Paul D" <please_reply_to_newsgroup@something.com> wrote on 02 feb
2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> Thank you, Vera, for your answer. Your view is as I had always
> believed. The trouble is, a Microsoft Partner is telling me
> otherwise. Hence, if there is anyone else out there who can
> either aggree or disagree to this, then I would also be very
> pleased to hear from them.
>

> Kind regards
> Paul
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2005 7:02:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Vera

That's very nice of you to follow this up. You are very helpful, and I
appreciate it!! :-)

Best wishes
Paul
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2005 7:02:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Thanks, Paul, I'm glad to be of help.

--

"Paul D" <please_reply_to_newsgroup@something.com> wrote on 03 feb
2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> Vera
>
> That's very nice of you to follow this up. You are very
> helpful, and I appreciate it!! :-)
>
> Best wishes
> Paul
June 12, 2008 4:04:08 AM

There is a company called Expand Networks that has a unique solution to improving the performance of RDP, Citrix and other thin clients used in Virtualization environments where data is sent to distributed network environments.

http://www.expand.com/Products/Free-Evaluation.aspx
!