Terminal Services Graphics Card to Improve RDP Performance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Hi all

Can anyone tell me if upgrading the graphics card on a Windows 2003 Terminal
Services server will improve RDP session performance for users?
Is the graphics card utilised at all for remote desktops and, if so, for
what tasks?

Many thanks for your expert opinions!

Best wishes
Paul
6 answers Last reply
More about terminal services graphics card improve performance
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    The graphics data sent from the server to the client in a TS session
    is generated 'by the operating system' rather than 'by the video
    card'. Thus it does not matter what video card is installed on the
    system.
    If you want to enhance performance, try lowering the number of
    colours and the resolution of the session in the rdp client.

    --
    Vera Noest
    http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

    "Paul D" <please_reply_to_newsgroup@something.com> wrote on 01 feb
    2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

    > Hi all
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if upgrading the graphics card on a Windows
    > 2003 Terminal Services server will improve RDP session
    > performance for users? Is the graphics card utilised at all for
    > remote desktops and, if so, for what tasks?
    >
    > Many thanks for your expert opinions!
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Paul
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    Thank you, Vera, for your answer. Your view is as I had always believed.
    The trouble is, a Microsoft Partner is telling me otherwise.
    Hence, if there is anyone else out there who can either aggree or disagree
    to this, then I would also be very pleased to hear from them.

    Kind regards
    Paul
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    You want an "authorative" answer, right :-)

    In case nobody else replies, I actually "stole" my reply to you
    from an earlier post by Ivan Leichtling, who is (or was at the
    moment that he posted) a Microsoft employee.
    You can find his original post on Google:

    http://groups-
    beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps/msg/28
    39781d5c9b7e9e?dmode=source

    --

    "Paul D" <please_reply_to_newsgroup@something.com> wrote on 02 feb
    2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

    > Thank you, Vera, for your answer. Your view is as I had always
    > believed. The trouble is, a Microsoft Partner is telling me
    > otherwise. Hence, if there is anyone else out there who can
    > either aggree or disagree to this, then I would also be very
    > pleased to hear from them.
    >

    > Kind regards
    > Paul
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    Vera

    That's very nice of you to follow this up. You are very helpful, and I
    appreciate it!! :-)

    Best wishes
    Paul
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    Thanks, Paul, I'm glad to be of help.

    --

    "Paul D" <please_reply_to_newsgroup@something.com> wrote on 03 feb
    2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

    > Vera
    >
    > That's very nice of you to follow this up. You are very
    > helpful, and I appreciate it!! :-)
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Paul
  6. There is a company called Expand Networks that has a unique solution to improving the performance of RDP, Citrix and other thin clients used in Virtualization environments where data is sent to distributed network environments.

    http://www.expand.com/Products/Free-Evaluation.aspx

Terminal Performance Windows Server 2003 Graphics Cards Windows