Need Help with CPU over heating

J_man202

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Hi guys

I am running a P4 3.0 cpu sockey number 478.
The problem is that the Temp of the cpu is around 85-95 that is way to hot. Does anyone have any idea of what is could be. I dont know if a sensor is the problem or the fan itself.

Thanks

pat

Expert
Hi guys

I am running a P4 3.0 cpu sockey number 478.
The problem is that the Temp of the cpu is around 85-95 that is way to hot. Does anyone have any idea of what is could be. I dont know if a sensor is the problem or the fan itself.

Thanks

Well, did you take some time to have a visual inspection to the heat sinf to check if it is not filled by dust and if the fan is still runningg?

First step to do ..

J_man202

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
OK, I have taken the fan off and got rid of any dust but it still is way to hot, the fan itself seems fine. Any suggestions

Quiksilver-1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
it's a prescott core, it's going to run hot.

best solution is to use a non-stock heatsink with some arctic silver 5.

Btw: Are those temps your saying from a software or Bios? And is that its idle temps or Load temps?

Note: Strange i thought Socket 478 Prescott's ran about 10 degree's cooler... Hmm.

Sunset1

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
If those temp readings are correct you may have more than one issue.

Open up pc unplug pc. I know not what I was taught, but new motherboards have power to them when turned off. usually a teltale led on the motherboard. Pulling video card partially out of socket to clean heat sink can kill power supplies on some models.

Do common sence things then to go thermalright. I would ask tech support on their suggestion. I emailed them and got a SL-120 for my application (not yours) www.thermalright.com They are slick and my (since sold to my brother with pride for cost ) is fast and quiet and COOL.
It was to be my project machine but I since needed a dual opteron. Oh well. :>

Obviously there are all types of fans and thermaltake is good too.

Best prices when I got my cooling stuff was at www.crazypc.com
I actually got a responce in the busy season. I bought there also. Nice people.

Good luck and dont smoke that processor.
They run bad when the blue smoke comes out.

Sunset1

J_man202

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Alright, man you guys are great thanks for the help so far. First the temps are coming from the Bios. When I first start the computer it hangs around 45 then 10 min later in heats up to 60-70 and that is with it just ideling. then after 1/2 hour then it is into the 80s and low 90s that is when it stops and stays there. The cooler is heat when I tough it. So That leads me to believe that something is wrong with the fan.

Quiksilver-1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
mkae sure your cabling within your system is clean and tidy, also make sure your heatsink didnt come lose or make sure it's properly seated. also using a can of compressed air try to blow out as much dust,hair,etc that might be within the case.

Make sure while checking these and performing this, that the compuer is unplugged from the wall.

You may even want to goto a local computer store and buy a thermal pad or arctic silver 5 thermal paste. amd some isoproplyl alcohol or articlean. and use it in a well ventilated area and clean off the top of the cpu and heatsink.

Then reapply the thermal pad.

And for paste, but a drop of if on top the cpu (Literally a drop) and spread it evenly with an old credit card or something, bu whatever u do DO NOT SPREAD IT WITH YOUR BARE HANDS!. and then reseat the heatsink properly.

If that doesn't work replace the heatsink fan and use a new thermal pad/ paste.