Manwithnoname

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Hi all,

I recently put together a new system, with an ASUS A8N32-SLI Dexlume board, AMD 64 X2 (4200+) processor, WD 74 GB Raptor HD, 1 GB Patriot DDR 400 memory (500 MHz), EVGA GeForce 7800 GTX KO video card.

Anyway, I ran Sandra to benchmark the CPU, and the scores were really low, almost half of what they should have been for this CPU (according to their data). Now I'm trying to run Sandra again, and it won't even start up! Is there another free CPU bench program out there which anyone is familiar with? I want to know if I have a bottle neck of some kind in my system. BTW, version of Sandra is "SR3". Thanks in advance for any help.

Manwithnoname

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
I just ran the MCS benchmark, my CPU consistently gets scores around 3450. Anyone familiar with this program know if this is normal for my system, the scores posted online seem to be all over the map. Also, anyone have any idea why Sandra isn't working? Anyone else have this problem?

Manwithnoname

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
OK,

So I figured out why Sisoft Sandra wasn't working; I had the year set at 2005 instead of 2006, and for some reason that prevented the program from running.

Anyway, I reran Sandra CPU benchmark (version .SR3), and my scores sucked.

Dhrystone ALU 9881 MIPS
Whetstone iSSE 4471 MFLOPS

These values are about HALF of the predicted values for the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+, which is a lesser CPU than what I'm running.

It doesn't seem to be the memory; RAM bandwidth tested at 5320 MB/s.

I'm out of ideas what could be causing the problem. Is there some obscure setting in the BIOS that I've misset? I'm running BIOS version 1009, with the default settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this sort of stuff drives me nuts!

Manwithnoname

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Yeah, it may be that the 4000+ isn't a dual core, but Sandra lists it as an "X2" processor. Maybe Sandra is just a poor benchmark? Has anyone else used it to bench their AMD X2 CPU? Any results?

BTW, I flashed on an earlier version of the mobo BIOS, but it had no effect on the score (nothing significant). Only thing that changed was the memory bandwidth, which fell about 10%, so I put the latest BIOS (ver 1009) back on. I'm stuck... and frustrated. Even though the memory seems to be performing well, I think I'll try swapping it out just to see if it has an effect on CPU performance, and if that doesn't work, I'll swap out the CPU with a few others to see what happens. This sucks. 8O