Could use a little advice....

TheOne7505

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
First let me say whats up, I've been reading alot of info on this site for about a week or so now and it's been pretty helpful. I'm pretty computer savvy but not quite as good as alot of you here so I could use some advice on my system that i'm building. Here's the stuff that i've picked out so far and also let me add that this rig is going to be a gaming box and I have about 1k to spend on it.

After reading alot of the recommenations here I decided to go with one of these two AMD CPU's

AMD 64x2 3800 dual core or AMD 64 4000

I've compared prices on both of these and they are right around the same price range from what I can tell. I just kind of need a push to decide what to get either way.

The Mobo I picked out was the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
It seems like a pretty solid board and leave's alot of room for upgrades later on when some prices drop a bit.

Vid card : Asus Extreme n6600le Silencer/TD
I only picked this because it's really the only card I seen that I could put into my price range but any advice on a card would be greatly appericated.

Going to go with 1gig of Corsair Ram for now and again any recommendations on this would be appeaciated.

The hardrive,power supply and ect I can take care of my self but I really could use some help deciding on the stuff I listed here.

pat

Expert
That crappy video card will slow down the whole thing..

Get a better video card and a lesser CPU. For gaming, 3200+ or 3500= with a good 6800 should do better in all than the choice you did.

TheOne7505

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I heard that vid card isn't to bad and supports (correct me if i'm wrong) 3.0 shaders. I read some where that someone was playing FEAR on a system, very close spec wise, to what I listed here with very little problems.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I agree with everyone else - get a better video card. It may play today's games 'alright', but you'll need to replace it in a year to play those new games. Get at least a 6800GS for a gaming computer. A 3200+ will be enough CPU, so you can save some there. You can also save money if you need to on the mobo.

If I was putting together a 1k PC today I'd get:
Mobo: NF4Ultra by whoever - I'd only do SLI if I was getting 2 cards right away.
CPU: X2 3800+ - if your budget can get dual core, get dual core.
RAM: 1GB Value PC3200 (or better if OCing)
Video: 6800GS to 7800GTX depending on budget - don't leave out the ATI cards they're good too its just I wouldn't go lower or higher than the 2 nvidias.

Mike.

TheOne7505

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Well I do plan on going with 2 GPU's with in the year, and if not, there's no doubt i'll do it by next year when prices drop a bit. Also I want my mobo to be high end so I can upgrade the CPU when prices drop on them also. But as of right now I think i'll just go with the lower end CPU and dump what money I save into the GPU like you guys suggested.

krazyIvan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
If you read-up in Toms you will see that SLI with lower end cards is not a cost effective choice. If your only doing one card now, get middle-upper end card today, knowing that one-two years down the road it will be lagging and then you can pick-up another at a fraction of what it used to cost and see an improvement that will give you an extra year or two on top of the original two years.

6800GS - $200, or 7800GT - $300 at NewEgg.com

JayMan

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2005
If you need to upgrade right now then sure...

But you must remember that the new AMD M2 soket will be launched fairly soon.

I have the A8N32-SLI Deluxe, great board...
But in terms of upgrading later it wont be able to take the new AMD's which from what I understand will support DDR2

TheOne7505

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Oh ya I need to upgrade.....

My system has been good to me over the years but it's almost 6 years old now. Of course i've made upgrade's and what not over the years but it's really starting to show it's age, not to mention my vid card just fried on me. Luckly my buddy had a card laying around that I could throw in for the time being. As for buying into the new line of AMD stuff, I was never one for going out and buying the new top of the line stuff just because of the fact that 6 months after the new stuff comes out it drops like crazy in price.

But at this point buying the AMD 3200 and going with either the 6800gs or the 7800gt looks pretty feasible at this point. Then like I said, down the road i'll upgrade the CPU and go with the SLI setup. I like my games, but I can see spending thousands on a system just to play games and do some surffing.