Cannot connect to some Term Servers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.protocols.rdp,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Hello:

I have a strange issue. I support probably 30 networks through RDP.
Recently 2 servers, on different networks have refused my connection. I
can connect to another server and then from that machine connect to
these servers. Both of the servers that refuse my connection are on DSL
circuits from the same ISP, but again, I can get in by going to another
server. I have tried other PC on different LANS that use my ISP and they
connect right away. I have deleted the MSLiceing key, looked at local
logs and logs on the servers etc. Tried different NICS (wired vs.
wireless) one client LAN uses a Cisco 800 series router (port 3389 open)
the other a cheap Linksys. I have no idea.

Bill Lobb
4 answers Last reply
More about cannot connect term servers
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.protocols.rdp,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    What message do you get when your connection is refused?
    Are these servers running W2K or 2003?
    Are they in Remote Admin mode, or Application server mode (to use
    the W2K terminology)?
    Can you ping the servers?
    Can you telnet to port 3389?

    186645 - Troubleshooting RDP Client Connection Problems
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=186645

    --
    Vera Noest
    http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

    Bill Lobb <wlobb@ofhservices.com> wrote on 27 feb 2005 in
    microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

    > Hello:
    >
    > I have a strange issue. I support probably 30 networks through
    > RDP. Recently 2 servers, on different networks have refused my
    > connection. I can connect to another server and then from that
    > machine connect to these servers. Both of the servers that
    > refuse my connection are on DSL circuits from the same ISP, but
    > again, I can get in by going to another server. I have tried
    > other PC on different LANS that use my ISP and they connect
    > right away. I have deleted the MSLiceing key, looked at local
    > logs and logs on the servers etc. Tried different NICS (wired
    > vs. wireless) one client LAN uses a Cisco 800 series router
    > (port 3389 open) the other a cheap Linksys. I have no idea.
    >
    > Bill Lobb
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.protocols.rdp,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    Vera:

    No I cannot telnet to 3389 from my LAN only)
    They are running 2000 in application server mode
    ICMP is turned off, but U CAN connect to them form just about anywhere else.

    Vera Noest [MVP] wrote:
    > What message do you get when your connection is refused?
    > Are these servers running W2K or 2003?
    > Are they in Remote Admin mode, or Application server mode (to use
    > the W2K terminology)?
    > Can you ping the servers?
    > Can you telnet to port 3389?
    >
    > 186645 - Troubleshooting RDP Client Connection Problems
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=186645
    >
    > --
    > Vera Noest
    > http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
    > --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
    >
    > Bill Lobb <wlobb@ofhservices.com> wrote on 27 feb 2005 in
    > microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:
    >

    >>Hello:
    >>
    >>I have a strange issue. I support probably 30 networks through
    >>RDP. Recently 2 servers, on different networks have refused my
    >>connection. I can connect to another server and then from that
    >>machine connect to these servers. Both of the servers that
    >>refuse my connection are on DSL circuits from the same ISP, but
    >>again, I can get in by going to another server. I have tried
    >>other PC on different LANS that use my ISP and they connect
    >>right away. I have deleted the MSLiceing key, looked at local
    >>logs and logs on the servers etc. Tried different NICS (wired
    >>vs. wireless) one client LAN uses a Cisco 800 series router
    >>(port 3389 open) the other a cheap Linksys. I have no idea.
    >>
    >>Bill Lobb
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.protocols.rdp,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    The error message is the Client could not connect to remote computer,
    same error as when the MSlic key is hosed.
    Vera Noest [MVP] wrote:

    > What message do you get when your connection is refused?
    > Are these servers running W2K or 2003?
    > Are they in Remote Admin mode, or Application server mode (to use
    > the W2K terminology)?
    > Can you ping the servers?
    > Can you telnet to port 3389?
    >
    > 186645 - Troubleshooting RDP Client Connection Problems
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=186645
    >
    > --
    > Vera Noest
    > http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
    > --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
    >
    > Bill Lobb <wlobb@ofhservices.com> wrote on 27 feb 2005 in
    > microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:
    >

    >>Hello:
    >>
    >>I have a strange issue. I support probably 30 networks through
    >>RDP. Recently 2 servers, on different networks have refused my
    >>connection. I can connect to another server and then from that
    >>machine connect to these servers. Both of the servers that
    >>refuse my connection are on DSL circuits from the same ISP, but
    >>again, I can get in by going to another server. I have tried
    >>other PC on different LANS that use my ISP and they connect
    >>right away. I have deleted the MSLiceing key, looked at local
    >>logs and logs on the servers etc. Tried different NICS (wired
    >>vs. wireless) one client LAN uses a Cisco 800 series router
    >>(port 3389 open) the other a cheap Linksys. I have no idea.
    >>
    >>Bill Lobb
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.protocols.rdp,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    Did you ever solve this ?

    --
    Karsten

    Bill Lobb wrote:
    > Hello:
    >
    > I have a strange issue. I support probably 30 networks through RDP.
    > Recently 2 servers, on different networks have refused my connection. I
    > can connect to another server and then from that machine connect to
    > these servers. Both of the servers that refuse my connection are on DSL
    > circuits from the same ISP, but again, I can get in by going to another
    > server. I have tried other PC on different LANS that use my ISP and they
    > connect right away. I have deleted the MSLiceing key, looked at local
    > logs and logs on the servers etc. Tried different NICS (wired vs.
    > wireless) one client LAN uses a Cisco 800 series router (port 3389 open)
    > the other a cheap Linksys. I have no idea.
    >
    > Bill Lobb

Connection Microsoft Servers Windows