can't install msft own MSI package; marked as 'unsafe'

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.windows.server.clustering,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.domain,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

been having problems on my new 2 node cluster servers (2003), errors 1517
and 1524 about not being able to unload registry because of an application
using it. in article 837115 their fix is the user profile cleanup service.
i've used it previously and worked fine. but now can't use it on the new
servers.

when i try to install it, it says "the advertised application will not be
installed because it might be unsafe. contact the administrator to change
the user interface option of the package to basic."

running it as domain administrator.
why does this happen? does terminal services have anything to do with it?
2 answers Last reply
More about install msft package marked unsafe
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.windows.server.clustering,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.domain,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    From the readme.txt file that comes with the package:

    <quote>
    INSTALLATION PROBLEMS
    =====================
    If you get an error using the MSI installation package and the
    package is on a network share attempt the installation from a local
    drive. Another alternative is to use the manual installation
    instructions.

    INSTALLATION
    ============
    To manually install it (you need a copy of uphclean.exe):

    - Create a directory under Program Files for the service
    (e.g. c:\program files\uphclean)
    - Copy the program (uphclean.exe) to the directory
    (e.g. c:\program files\uphclean\uphclean.exe)
    - Open a command prompt on the computer
    - Change directory where you copied the program
    (e.g cd \program files\uphclean)
    - Run the program with the -install switch to install the service
    and start it
    (e.g. uphclean -install)

    The service is set to automatically start when the computer boots
    so you will not need to start it manually.
    </quote>

    Make sure to downloaded the latest version of the UPHclean
    utitlity, there's a problem with versions before 1.5:

    885958 - Your Windows Server 2003-based terminal server that uses
    the UPHClean utility to unload user profiles when users log off may
    suddenly stop responding
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=885958

    --
    Vera Noest
    http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

    "seth" <me@myhouse.com> wrote on 02 mar 2005 in
    microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.domain:

    > been having problems on my new 2 node cluster servers (2003),
    > errors 1517 and 1524 about not being able to unload registry
    > because of an application using it. in article 837115 their fix
    > is the user profile cleanup service. i've used it previously and
    > worked fine. but now can't use it on the new servers.
    >
    > when i try to install it, it says "the advertised application
    > will not be installed because it might be unsafe. contact the
    > administrator to change the user interface option of the package
    > to basic."
    >
    > running it as domain administrator.
    > why does this happen? does terminal services have anything to
    > do with it?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.windows.server.clustering,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.domain,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

    got nervous at first when i saw that article. it can crash with 1.5.0.11
    but i have 1.5.5

    i found the problem. the domain administrator has roaming profile.
    apparently, unlike most software, this msi puts the config/uninstall info
    within the user profile, not with the system. the uninstall is found in
    HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\current version\uninstall instead of HKLM.
    i tried it as local administrator and installed fine.

    "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
    > From the readme.txt file that comes with the package:
    >
    > <quote>
    > INSTALLATION PROBLEMS
    > =====================
    > If you get an error using the MSI installation package and the
    > package is on a network share attempt the installation from a local
    > drive. Another alternative is to use the manual installation
    > instructions.
    >
    > INSTALLATION
    > ============
    > To manually install it (you need a copy of uphclean.exe):
    >
    > - Create a directory under Program Files for the service
    > (e.g. c:\program files\uphclean)
    > - Copy the program (uphclean.exe) to the directory
    > (e.g. c:\program files\uphclean\uphclean.exe)
    > - Open a command prompt on the computer
    > - Change directory where you copied the program
    > (e.g cd \program files\uphclean)
    > - Run the program with the -install switch to install the service
    > and start it
    > (e.g. uphclean -install)
    >
    > The service is set to automatically start when the computer boots
    > so you will not need to start it manually.
    > </quote>
    >
    > Make sure to downloaded the latest version of the UPHclean
    > utitlity, there's a problem with versions before 1.5:
    >
    > 885958 - Your Windows Server 2003-based terminal server that uses
    > the UPHClean utility to unload user profiles when users log off may
    > suddenly stop responding
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=885958
    >

    > --
    > Vera Noest
    > http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
    > --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
    >
    > "seth" <me@myhouse.com> wrote on 02 mar 2005 in
    > microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.domain:
    >
    >> been having problems on my new 2 node cluster servers (2003),
    >> errors 1517 and 1524 about not being able to unload registry
    >> because of an application using it. in article 837115 their fix
    >> is the user profile cleanup service. i've used it previously and
    >> worked fine. but now can't use it on the new servers.
    >>
    >> when i try to install it, it says "the advertised application
    >> will not be installed because it might be unsafe. contact the
    >> administrator to change the user interface option of the package
    >> to basic."
    >>
    >> running it as domain administrator.
    >> why does this happen? does terminal services have anything to
    >> do with it?

Windows Server Microsoft Servers Windows