can't send email

I have Windows XP with a dsl conncetion. I have been
using Outlook express fine until yesterday when it
stopped sending email and provided this message:

The connection to the server has failed.
Account: 'mail.bellsouth.net (1)',
Server: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number:
0x800CCC0E

Yesterday BellSouth support told me to uncheck the
windows firewall as I have a router and Trend Micro
Internet Security. That worked fine for one day. Now I
get the same message. I am liked thru a Linksys dsl
router the other computer is a mac.

What gives?

10060 & 0x800ccc0e

Go to Tools>Accounts>Mail>Properties>Servers Tab. Under *Outgoing
mail server*, check the box for My server requires authentication.
Next, click the Settings button and insert your user name,
{everything before the @ in your address} and enter the password.

Also, turn off e-mail scanning. Your A/V will still protect you.

If still no joy, post to the OE specific newsgroup:
http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress&cat=en_US_78c0501a-8607-4f53-908d-78dcc3cb4a97&lang=en&cr=US
--
Bruce Hagen
~IB-CA~

"gajoe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have Windows XP with a dsl conncetion. I have been
> using Outlook express fine until yesterday when it
> stopped sending email and provided this message:
>
> The connection to the server has failed.
> Account: 'mail.bellsouth.net (1)',
> Server: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
> Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC0E
>
> Yesterday BellSouth support told me to uncheck the
> windows firewall as I have a router and Trend Micro
> Internet Security. That worked fine for one day. Now I
> get the same message. I am liked thru a Linksys dsl
> router the other computer is a mac.
>
> What gives?

Bruce, thanks. I will try your suggestion. I will let you
know what happens later. BTW, what are the two numbers on
top of your email:
10060 & 0x800ccc0e

10060 & 0x800ccc0e. The error you posted. :)
--
Bruce Hagen
~IB-CA~

<spunkovision@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Bruce, thanks. I will try your suggestion. I will let you
> know what happens later. BTW, what are the two numbers on
> top of your email:
> 10060 & 0x800ccc0e

Talk about timely... I had exactly the same problem this PM. Followed your
path, found info. Just retyping of my password cured my problem. Thanks
Bruce; you saved me a post :)

Malv

"Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
> 10060 & 0x800ccc0e
>
> Go to Tools>Accounts>Mail>Properties>Servers Tab. Under *Outgoing
> mail server*, check the box for My server requires authentication.
> Next, click the Settings button and insert your user name,
> {everything before the @ in your address} and enter the password.
>
> Also, turn off e-mail scanning. Your A/V will still protect you.
>
> If still no joy, post to the OE specific newsgroup:

http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?
dg=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress&cat=en_US_78c050
1a-8607-4f53-908d-78dcc3cb4a97&lang=en&cr=US
> --
> Bruce Hagen
> ~IB-CA~
>

> "gajoe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have Windows XP with a dsl conncetion. I have been
> > using Outlook express fine until yesterday when it
> > stopped sending email and provided this message:
> >
> > The connection to the server has failed.
> > Account: 'mail.bellsouth.net (1)',
> > Server: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
> > Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number:
> > 0x800CCC0E
> >
> > Yesterday BellSouth support told me to uncheck the
> > windows firewall as I have a router and Trend Micro
> > Internet Security. That worked fine for one day. Now I
> > get the same message. I am liked thru a Linksys dsl
> > router the other computer is a mac.
> >
> > What gives?

Y. W.
--
Bruce Hagen
~IB-CA~

"Malvern" <thisis@fak> wrote in message
> Talk about timely... I had exactly the same problem this PM.
Followed your
> path, found info. Just retyping of my password cured my problem.
Thanks
> Bruce; you saved me a post :)
>
> Malv
>
> "Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
> > 10060 & 0x800ccc0e
> >
> > Go to Tools>Accounts>Mail>Properties>Servers Tab. Under *Outgoing
> > mail server*, check the box for My server requires
authentication.
> > Next, click the Settings button and insert your user name,
> > {everything before the @ in your address} and enter the password.
> >
> > Also, turn off e-mail scanning. Your A/V will still protect you.
> >
> > If still no joy, post to the OE specific newsgroup:

http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?

dg=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress&cat=en_US
_78c050
> 1a-8607-4f53-908d-78dcc3cb4a97&lang=en&cr=US
> > --
> > Bruce Hagen
> > ~IB-CA~
> >

> > "gajoe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have Windows XP with a dsl conncetion. I have been
> > > using Outlook express fine until yesterday when it
> > > stopped sending email and provided this message:
> > >
> > > The connection to the server has failed.
> > > Account: 'mail.bellsouth.net (1)',
> > > Server: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
> > > Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number:
> > > 0x800CCC0E
> > >
> > > Yesterday BellSouth support told me to uncheck the
> > > windows firewall as I have a router and Trend Micro
> > > Internet Security. That worked fine for one day. Now I
> > > get the same message. I am liked thru a Linksys dsl
> > > router the other computer is a mac.
> > >
> > > What gives?

Thank you so much, Bruce. I will try your suggestions.
By the way, what are those two numbers on top of your
last email:
10060 & 0x800ccc0e

????

10060 & 0x800ccc0e. The number of the posted error. I have *canned*
copy/paste. The number is in my message header so I can find it.