Terminal Server 2003 networked printer not printing

Ralph

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

I am running Terminal Server 2003.

I have a sharp ar-m 277 printer networked at TCP/IP 192.168.1.252

I have the driver installed on both the server and the client.

On the server it is mapped to lpt1.... no printing is done from here
and the printer is at the client location anyway.

When I log on throuch RDC the printer appears.

I send a print job to it to print on the Sharp 277 on the clients
local network. It claims to be printing for a considerable length of
time, but does not print.

Any help would help.

Thank you,

Ralph

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

How is the printer installed on the client?

Since this printer has built in NIC it is wise to install on the client
local TCP/IP port

When connecting to Windows 2003 Terminal Server, the printer installed on
the client local TCP/IP port will be redirected the same way as lpt or com
printer.

If the printer has lpt interface it can be installed on LPT port as well

There is no need to install the printer on the server on the port where this
printer is not physically connected. It may confuse some users trying to
print to the printer that is not connected.

I noticed the driver for this printer is not supported by Windows2003 and
probably to make this printer work you did install OEM driver. In this case
you may face printing redirection problem when connecting the client to TS
server.

To make sure the printing redirection will work you need do some extra
setup:

If your client side printer use some OEM drivers what you need to do is to
install the same driver on the server (from Printers and Faxes folder start
Server Properties => click on Drivers tab and click on Add button => use
Have a Disk to install out of box OEM driver)

and create CUSTOM INF file. All of this has to be done on the server.

This are instructions to install CUSTOM INF file (do not forget to install
the driver on the server)

Custom INF file may help to run OEM not supported drivers. It maps client
and server side driver and two registry key must be added on the server side
for file name and section name.

1. create INF file - example of CUSTOM INF file named "printOEM.inf" in
"C:\WINNT\inf\"

[OEM Printer Mapping]

"client side driver name " = "server side driver name"

2. add two registry values for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\...\rdpwd keys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal
Server\Wds\rdpwd\PrinterMappingINFName = <exact location of the custom INF
file>

Ex: C:\WINNT\inf\printOEM.inf

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal
Server\Wds\rdpwd\PrinterMappingINFSection = <section name in custom INF
file>

Ex: OEM Printer Mapping

NOTE: both registry values must be "string" type

Make sure you type the driver name with all spaces and
capitalization as appears in driver property.

--
Zenon Pilat (MS)
---