How to connect Terminal Server which behind the router

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

My terminal server is set behind the broadbrand router with firewall
which used for share internet access. For example: Internet IP is
202.198.203.nnn, the local LAN IP for the terminal server is
192.168.200.191

How to connect that terminal server outside the internet? Can port
forward to connect this terminal server? If it can, would you please to
teach me how to setup, such as which port is used for terminal service?

Please give us advise.

Thanks and regards,
PC
16 answers Last reply
More about connect terminal server router
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    The RDP protocol used by terminal server is on TCP 3389 by default.

    --
    MikeVa [MSFT]

    Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
    Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias.
    This alias is for newsgroup purposes only.
    --
    "Python Chan" <pythonchan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My terminal server is set behind the broadbrand router with firewall
    > which used for share internet access. For example: Internet IP is
    > 202.198.203.nnn, the local LAN IP for the terminal server is
    > 192.168.200.191
    >
    > How to connect that terminal server outside the internet? Can port
    > forward to connect this terminal server? If it can, would you please to
    > teach me how to setup, such as which port is used for terminal service?
    >
    > Please give us advise.
    >
    > Thanks and regards,
    > PC
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    "Python Chan" <pythonchan@hotmail.com> skrev i melding
    > My terminal server is set behind the broadbrand router with firewall
    > which used for share internet access. For example: Internet IP is
    > 202.198.203.nnn, the local LAN IP for the terminal server is
    > 192.168.200.191
    >
    > How to connect that terminal server outside the internet? Can port
    > forward to connect this terminal server? If it can, would you please to
    > teach me how to setup, such as which port is used for terminal service?
    >
    > Please give us advise.

    Port 3389, but remember to use a strong password policy.

    /Per W.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    "MikeVa [MSFT]" <mikeva@online.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > The RDP protocol used by terminal server is on TCP 3389 by default.

    Thanks for advise.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    You want to config the router to forward TCP port 3389 to the ip of the
    terminal server.

    Each router (and versions of the same router sometimes) do things
    diferently so I can't explain exactly how to config your router.

    DW

    Python Chan wrote:
    > My terminal server is set behind the broadbrand router with firewall
    > which used for share internet access. For example: Internet IP is
    > 202.198.203.nnn, the local LAN IP for the terminal server is
    > 192.168.200.191
    >
    > How to connect that terminal server outside the internet? Can port
    > forward to connect this terminal server? If it can, would you please
    > teach me how to setup, such as which port is used for terminal
    service?

    > Please give us advise.
    >
    > Thanks and regards,
    > PC
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    Terminal server uses port 3389. What you need to do is create an access list
    on your router allowing outbound traffic access to the port.

    What router do you have?

    "Python Chan" <pythonchan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My terminal server is set behind the broadbrand router with firewall
    > which used for share internet access. For example: Internet IP is
    > 202.198.203.nnn, the local LAN IP for the terminal server is
    > 192.168.200.191
    >
    > How to connect that terminal server outside the internet? Can port
    > forward to connect this terminal server? If it can, would you please to
    > teach me how to setup, such as which port is used for terminal service?
    >
    > Please give us advise.
    >
    > Thanks and regards,
    > PC
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    Set your router to forward port 3389 to the internal IP of the terminal
    server.

    Gregg Hill

    "Python Chan" <pythonchan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My terminal server is set behind the broadbrand router with firewall
    > which used for share internet access. For example: Internet IP is
    > 202.198.203.nnn, the local LAN IP for the terminal server is
    > 192.168.200.191
    >
    > How to connect that terminal server outside the internet? Can port
    > forward to connect this terminal server? If it can, would you please to
    > teach me how to setup, such as which port is used for terminal service?
    >
    > Please give us advise.
    >
    > Thanks and regards,
    > PC
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    I have set this up on my router, to forward traffic from port 3389 to the IP
    address of the Terminal Server, but what does the client need to type into
    their browser to connect to this machine? Or should they be connecting via a
    command prompt instead? Sorry, I'm a complete Terminal Server newbie! I have
    been able to set it up so that I can connect via the LAN, however. Just
    trying to make it available to the outside world as well ...

    Thanks!

    Adrian Robertson

    "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Set your router to forward port 3389 to the internal IP of the terminal
    > server.
    >
    > Gregg Hill
    >

    > "Python Chan" <pythonchan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> My terminal server is set behind the broadbrand router with firewall
    >> which used for share internet access. For example: Internet IP is
    >> 202.198.203.nnn, the local LAN IP for the terminal server is
    >> 192.168.200.191
    >>
    >> How to connect that terminal server outside the internet? Can port
    >> forward to connect this terminal server? If it can, would you please to
    >> teach me how to setup, such as which port is used for terminal service?
    >>
    >> Please give us advise.
    >>
    >> Thanks and regards,
    >> PC

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    Don't worry, a little more hunting and I've seemed to have found the answer.
    Didn't realise you could use the Remote Desktop util to do this ... the
    question remains though, what happens if the client is using Win2000?

    "Adrian Robertson" <arobertson@centaman.com.au> wrote in message
    >I have set this up on my router, to forward traffic from port 3389 to the
    >IP address of the Terminal Server, but what does the client need to type
    >into their browser to connect to this machine? Or should they be connecting
    >via a command prompt instead? Sorry, I'm a complete Terminal Server newbie!
    >I have been able to set it up so that I can connect via the LAN, however.
    >Just trying to make it available to the outside world as well ...
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Adrian Robertson
    >
    > "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> Set your router to forward port 3389 to the internal IP of the terminal
    >> server.
    >>
    >> Gregg Hill
    >>

    >> "Python Chan" <pythonchan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> My terminal server is set behind the broadbrand router with firewall
    >>> which used for share internet access. For example: Internet IP is
    >>> 202.198.203.nnn, the local LAN IP for the terminal server is
    >>> 192.168.200.191
    >>>
    >>> How to connect that terminal server outside the internet? Can port
    >>> forward to connect this terminal server? If it can, would you please to
    >>> teach me how to setup, such as which port is used for terminal service?
    >>>
    >>> Please give us advise.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks and regards,
    >>> PC

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    Again, I have hunted around a bit more and think I have answered my own
    question. Just in case someone else is trying to do the same thing, the util
    can be downloaded from
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx

    > Don't worry, a little more hunting and I've seemed to have found the
    > answer. Didn't realise you could use the Remote Desktop util to do this
    > ... the question remains though, what happens if the client is using
    > Win2000?
    >
    > "Adrian Robertson" <arobertson@centaman.com.au> wrote in message
    >>I have set this up on my router, to forward traffic from port 3389 to the
    >>IP address of the Terminal Server, but what does the client need to type
    >>into their browser to connect to this machine? Or should they be
    >>connecting via a command prompt instead? Sorry, I'm a complete Terminal
    >>Server newbie! I have been able to set it up so that I can connect via the
    >>LAN, however. Just trying to make it available to the outside world as
    >>well ...
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Adrian Robertson
    >>
    >> "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >>> Set your router to forward port 3389 to the internal IP of the terminal
    >>> server.
    >>>
    >>> Gregg Hill
    >>>

    >>> "Python Chan" <pythonchan@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    Is there a way I can connect to the Terminal Server without using the remote
    desktop utility? That is, through Internet Explorer? There may be situations
    where I will be at a client site and need to connect to my Outlook or
    something, and cannot install the util I downloaded in the previous posting
    .... any help appreciated!

    > Again, I have hunted around a bit more and think I have answered my own
    > question. Just in case someone else is trying to do the same thing, the
    > util can be downloaded from
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx
    >
    > "Adrian Robertson" <arobertson@centaman.com.au> wrote in message
    >> Don't worry, a little more hunting and I've seemed to have found the
    >> answer. Didn't realise you could use the Remote Desktop util to do this
    >> ... the question remains though, what happens if the client is using
    >> Win2000?
    >>
    >> "Adrian Robertson" <arobertson@centaman.com.au> wrote in message
    >>>I have set this up on my router, to forward traffic from port 3389 to the
    >>>IP address of the Terminal Server, but what does the client need to type
    >>>into their browser to connect to this machine? Or should they be
    >>>connecting via a command prompt instead? Sorry, I'm a complete Terminal
    >>>Server newbie! I have been able to set it up so that I can connect via
    >>>the LAN, however. Just trying to make it available to the outside world
    >>>as well ...
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Adrian Robertson
    >>>
    >>> "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    Try http://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:3389

    > Is there a way I can connect to the Terminal Server without using the
    remote
    > desktop utility? That is, through Internet Explorer? There may be
    situations
    > where I will be at a client site and need to connect to my Outlook or
    > something, and cannot install the util I downloaded in the previous
    posting
    > ... any help appreciated!
    >
    > "Adrian Robertson" <arobertson@centaman.com.au> wrote in message
    > > Again, I have hunted around a bit more and think I have answered my own
    > > question. Just in case someone else is trying to do the same thing, the
    > > util can be downloaded from
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx
    > >
    > > "Adrian Robertson" <arobertson@centaman.com.au> wrote in message
    > >> Don't worry, a little more hunting and I've seemed to have found the
    > >> answer. Didn't realise you could use the Remote Desktop util to do this
    > >> ... the question remains though, what happens if the client is using
    > >> Win2000?
    > >>
    > >> "Adrian Robertson" <arobertson@centaman.com.au> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    No that didn't seem to work. Is there something else that needs to be
    checked from the Terminal Server side of things?

    "Jim" <abuse@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Try http://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:3389
    >
    > "Adrian Robertson" <arobertson@centaman.com.au> wrote in message
    >> Is there a way I can connect to the Terminal Server without using the
    > remote
    >> desktop utility? That is, through Internet Explorer? There may be
    > situations
    >> where I will be at a client site and need to connect to my Outlook or
    >> something, and cannot install the util I downloaded in the previous
    > posting
    >> ... any help appreciated!
    >>
    >> "Adrian Robertson" <arobertson@centaman.com.au> wrote in message
    >> > Again, I have hunted around a bit more and think I have answered my own
    >> > question. Just in case someone else is trying to do the same thing, the
    >> > util can be downloaded from
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx
    >> >
    >> > "Adrian Robertson" <arobertson@centaman.com.au> wrote in message

    > the
    > type

    > terminal

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    go to the setup of your firewall and select 'port forwarding' or 'virtual
    server'

    enter the port number 3389 and map it to you local ip address
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    Map port 3389 to your terminal server lan address in you router.

    Best to only allow connections from other static addresses where ever
    possible to maintain security.

    "Python Chan" <pythonchan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My terminal server is set behind the broadbrand router with firewall
    > which used for share internet access. For example: Internet IP is
    > 202.198.203.nnn, the local LAN IP for the terminal server is
    > 192.168.200.191
    >
    > How to connect that terminal server outside the internet? Can port
    > forward to connect this terminal server? If it can, would you please to
    > teach me how to setup, such as which port is used for terminal service?
    >
    > Please give us advise.
    >
    > Thanks and regards,
    > PC
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    Hi Chris,

    I have opened a port and am forwarding to the IP address of the actual
    Terminal Server. I'm able to connect to it from the outside world using
    Remote Desktop Connection on both XP and Win2000 machines, everything there
    is fine.

    However, I'm wondering if I can connect to the terminal server without using
    Remote Desktop Connection, such as directly through Internet Explorer. I've
    tried entering in the IP address of the router followed by the port number
    directly into the address bar (eg. aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:3389), but this doesn't
    seem to work.

    Might you have any suggestions on this?

    Thanks

    Adrian

    "Chris" <chris@nothere.net> wrote in message
    > Map port 3389 to your terminal server lan address in you router.
    >
    > Best to only allow connections from other static addresses where ever
    > possible to maintain security.
    >
    > "Python Chan" <pythonchan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> My terminal server is set behind the broadbrand router with firewall
    >> which used for share internet access. For example: Internet IP is
    >> 202.198.203.nnn, the local LAN IP for the terminal server is
    >> 192.168.200.191
    >>
    >> How to connect that terminal server outside the internet? Can port
    >> forward to connect this terminal server? If it can, would you please to
    >> teach me how to setup, such as which port is used for terminal service?
    >>
    >> Please give us advise.
    >>
    >> Thanks and regards,
    >> PC

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    You need to install Remote Desktop Web Connection on your IIS
    server and open port 80 on your firewall to connect to your IIS
    server. Then you connect to the /tsweb page on your IIS server,
    get a logon screen, and after authentication, you are connected to
    your Terminal Server (over port 3389).

    Remote Desktop Web Connection 5.2
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e2ff8fb5-
    97ff-47bc-bacc-92283b52b310&DisplayLang=en

    --
    Vera Noest
    MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

    "Adrian Robertson" <arobertson@centaman.com.au> wrote on 11 apr
    2005:

    > Hi Chris,
    >
    > I have opened a port and am forwarding to the IP address of the
    > actual Terminal Server. I'm able to connect to it from the
    > outside world using Remote Desktop Connection on both XP and
    > Win2000 machines, everything there is fine.
    >
    > However, I'm wondering if I can connect to the terminal server
    > without using Remote Desktop Connection, such as directly
    > through Internet Explorer. I've tried entering in the IP address
    > of the router followed by the port number directly into the
    > address bar (eg. aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:3389), but this doesn't seem to
    > work.
    >
    > Might you have any suggestions on this?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Adrian
    >
    > "Chris" <chris@nothere.net> wrote in message
    >> Map port 3389 to your terminal server lan address in you
    >> router.
    >>
    >> Best to only allow connections from other static addresses
    >> where ever possible to maintain security.
    >>
    >> "Python Chan" <pythonchan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> My terminal server is set behind the broadbrand router with
    >>> firewall which used for share internet access. For example:
    >>> Internet IP is 202.198.203.nnn, the local LAN IP for the
    >>> terminal server is 192.168.200.191
    >>>
    >>> How to connect that terminal server outside the internet? Can
    >>> port forward to connect this terminal server? If it can, would
    >>> you please to teach me how to setup, such as which port is
    >>> used for terminal service?
    >>>
    >>> Please give us advise.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks and regards,
    >>> PC

Connection Microsoft Terminal Server Windows