Terminal Server vs. Terminal Services

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

I heard that this is the best place for finding out about terminal
servers ;-) So, I have been reading for a while, but am not the
sharpest tool in the shed...

What is the difference between a "Terminal Server" and "Terminal
Services"?

Microsoft uses terminology like: "Windows 2000 Terminal Services
server".

But, is a "Windows 2000 Server" not necessarily a "Terminal Server"?

And, when you install (or configure) "Terminal Services" it then
becomes a "Terminal Server"?

Also, a Windows 2000 Terminal Services server can be in "Application
server mode" or "in an Active Directory domain". Do either of these
"modes" effect Terminal Services/Server?

sign me:
Terminally confused...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Terminal Services is an optional component of the Windows Operating
System. When you install it, you enable the "Terminal Server role" of
your server. Most people then call the machine a "Terminal Server".
So every Terminal Server is a Windows Server (we ignore unix in these
newsgroups :), but not every Windows Server is a Terminal Server.

Windows 2000 Terminal Services can be installed in 2 mode, as you
say:
1) Remote Administration mode
Not really a terminal server. You can connect with a maximum of 2
sessions simultaneously, by default only for Administrators. This
mode is very handy for accessing a server (any server!) remotely. So
this mode is very often installed on SQL servers, Exchange Servers,
etc. Every server that is more than 2 steps away from you, like in a
dedicated server room. This mode does not require additional
licensing, and does not support multiple users running applications
on the server.
2) Application Server mode
This is the "real" terminal server mode, i.e. your terminal server is
now configured to handle multiple users, which run applications in a
session on the terminal server. This mode requires a Terminal
Services Licensing Server and additional licensing for all connecting
users (TS CALs).

Note that the terminology has changed a bit in Windows 2003:
Remote Administration mode is now called "Remote Desktop for
Administration". It doesn't have to be installed anymore, it comes
pre-installed and only has to be enabled, just like on XP.
Installing the "Terminal Services" component of the OS in 2003
implies "Application Server mode". This mode is now simply called
"Terminal Services"

Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services Technology Center
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-
US;winsvr2003term

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Dimple Wathen" <dimplewathen@hotmail.com> wrote on 29 mar 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> I heard that this is the best place for finding out about
> terminal servers ;-) So, I have been reading for a while, but am
> not the sharpest tool in the shed...
>
> What is the difference between a "Terminal Server" and "Terminal
> Services"?
>
> Microsoft uses terminology like: "Windows 2000 Terminal Services
> server".
>
> But, is a "Windows 2000 Server" not necessarily a "Terminal
> Server"?
>
> And, when you install (or configure) "Terminal Services" it then
> becomes a "Terminal Server"?
>
> Also, a Windows 2000 Terminal Services server can be in
> "Application server mode" or "in an Active Directory domain". Do
> either of these "modes" effect Terminal Services/Server?
>
> sign me:
> Terminally confused...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

thank you

ah, is there a FAQ that I should have read?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

There are a couple of FAQ, but they tend to address very specific
details. For a general overview of the technology and the
documentation, I recommended the links here:

Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services Technology Center
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-
US;winsvr2003term

Microsofts Terminal Services FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/termin
al/terminal_faq.mspx

Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pricl
icfaq.mspx

--

"Dimple Wathen" <dimplewathen@hotmail.com> wrote on 01 apr 2005 in