Licensing errors...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

I seem to have a little problem on my hands.

Windows Server 2003. 20 CALS activated on what I had intended to be the
license server (the Master DC, Domain Root, etc.) Terminal Server is on a
secondary server. I had expected that the server would look to the first
installed license server to verify if it had a license for clients. This
doesn't seem to be happening. What's more, when I installed TS Licensing on
the TS and try to connect to the other server, I get "Windows cannot connect
to a licensing server.

If I clear that dialog with OK and then Right-Click All Servers, Connect and
manually type in my server name, it connects and shows both servers as
activated.

Is there any way to transfer my TS CALs from the 1st to the 2nd server, or
is there another reason why only temporary license are being distributed? I
have 20 licenses and 20 are unused!
Thanks,
STS

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Did you install Per User or Per Device licenses?
If Per User, is the Terminal Server (not the Licensing Server!)
also set to use "Per User" licensing? The default is "Per Device".
You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal Services
Configuration - Server Settings - Licensing Mode
If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS CAL
and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.

Check this article, it explains that even after you have
switched licensing mode on the TS, your Per User TS CAL count will
not be decremented:

822134 - The Function of Terminal Server CALs in Windows Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822134

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Scott Sanford" <scott@thecomputersurgeon.com> wrote on 30 mar
2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc: