Sign in with
Your question

How do I lock desktop settings?

Last response: in Windows 7
March 17, 2011 1:07:09 PM

I have a few computers at our office running Windows 7 Pro. I currently have a problem with a person in the office who goes around and uses other people's computers. While that is fine and dandy in and of itself, it is the fact that this person is going in and changing desktop resolutions over and over and over which is messing people's settings up. Is there a way to go in and remove any and all monitor resolutions except for the one that the owner of the computer wants to use? What about the ability to lock other settings as well? I found a couple of articles for XP but not Win 7.

Thank you!

More about : lock desktop settings

a b $ Windows 7
March 17, 2011 3:21:59 PM

how about password protecting the computer and having people lock their computer when they step away from their desk?

everybody should use their own login to work on a computer. Otherwise there is no prove who did what if something happens.

you should be able to use local policies.
m
l
Related resources
March 17, 2011 3:39:25 PM

We actually have to share computers sometimes. It is not the sharing that matters it is the caring. I just want to know how to lock the screen resolution settings, not how to control the entire computer with a password. =)
m
l
a c 352 $ Windows 7
March 17, 2011 3:45:05 PM

johnh2005 said:
We actually have to share computers sometimes. It is not the sharing that matters it is the caring. I just want to know how to lock the screen resolution settings, not how to control the entire computer with a password. =)

You can still share computers, just not user accounts.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 17, 2011 4:06:22 PM

caring to me is protecting someones privacy and settings, and making sure they cannot be blamed for something they have not done.

if the computer is not in a Domain but just a Workgroup, have people logout and choose Switch User. This way you can share computers, everybody has their own login with password, and they can change the resolution to the one they prefer.
m
l
a c 352 $ Windows 7
March 17, 2011 4:09:49 PM

Emerald said:
caring to me is protecting someones privacy and settings, and making sure they cannot be blamed for something they have not done.

if the computer is not in a Domain but just a Workgroup, have people logout and choose Switch User. This way you can share computers, everybody has their own login with password, and they can change the resolution to the one they prefer.

That actually won't work, resolution is per system. Things like background picture is per user. I always run into people who run nice new LCD monitors at low res, I change it under an admin account, they log-on, get the same resolution I set.
m
l
March 17, 2011 5:50:21 PM

So... Is there a way to do what I want without changing the way the entire office has to act when they walk away from their computer and requiring everyone to have to log in and out? lol
m
l
March 17, 2011 5:55:07 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Policies can remove the options to change video settings http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Group-Polic...

Don't mess with it too much though, you can really lock down a PC if you take away too many rights for too many users.

That only applies to Windows 7 Ultimate and to Enterprise. We do not run either. I really do appreciate the link and the help you are providing!
m
l
!