nVidia shows off Quad GeForce 7800 GTX 512 setup at CES

mpjesse

Splendid
Saw this on slashdot. Mind you, this is a QUAD 7800 GTX 512 setup... not a quad GT or GTX setup. Check out the link. It has pics, information, etc. 2GB of total RAM and 96 pixel pipelines!

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=195

What do ya'll think? Dell is going to exclusively sell this setup initially. The case looks pretty bad ass. I built a system for my father in law who is a pin stripper and airbrush artist. He airbrushed both sides of his case with flames; looks almost identical to the one pictured.

-mpjesse

Finneus

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Pretty cool, that thing must be able to roast marshmallows like crazy from the GPU heatsinks. The price tag is about $8,000US so I don't think I will be running out to get one anytime soon but all I can say is WOW. Curious which CPU they have in there to make sure there isn't a bottleneck for the SLI config (haven't seen anything yet mentioned, does anyone know?)
Dell must really be pushing for that gamer market. Would be really sweet on a HD screen playing Doom3.....Mmmmmmm Sweeet (insert Homer voice)

Personally the case graphics could have been a little cooler but all that stuff is really a personal preference thing (I am an artist myself so I am always picky about that kind of stuff anyway).

Sidenote: I was kind of curious mpjesse do you remember what type of paint your father in law used to airbrush his case (was it a type of enamel paint or something else?). Always thought it would be cool to take a wack at something like that.

Still not really Quad SLi but instead SLi +SLi using the split lanes within the cards to talk between SLi setups. Probably faster than using truely the 16 lanes on the mobo since they wouldn't have to share ssytem data, but likely a little performance penalty compared to true quad SLi at the chip level.

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
yes its never gona sell, and its a stupid idea.

with new gen cards approaching why bother, the power corner will be covered by just 2 new gen cards crossfire/sli including new features like dx10 / sm4.0 etc.

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
ohhh dont take me saying its a stupid idea personally it just my opnion because of the new stuff coming out just around the corner, 1 month ati 4-5months nvidia i think.

its cool in being outragous :twisted:

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I agree with RX.

It's cool, Quad SLI is brilliant. But not practical.
Too expensive, heavily CPU bottlenecked, price/preformance is nowhere near what it should be(kinda why I dont like SLI in the first place)

Not to mention, its from Dell.
Crappy PSU (generic, yeah, will support the machine, but still)
I'm sure air flow, as with most of their machines is very little.

Those GTX's arent cheap for nvidia, I'm assuming their expecting a demand for these machines? - which I highly doubt considering there atmospherically priced, even for the base line model. I could just about pay off a newer car for $8k.

xSunnYx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
It's about 1 month away before ATi coughs up the R580 and nVidia the G71.. Rather see how those perform, I'm sure those in SLI/CF wouldn't be so much less than 4x 7800 GTX.. And probably saves me a crap load on teh electric bill o.0

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
There's always, albeit a limited one, market for stuff like this and $8000 is no barrier for some rich dude who has money to burn and e-penis to grow.

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
Just the celebrity/sports star/redneck lotery winner is sizable at $8000 a pop. These are all people who would buy a Dell. And the only Dell they'd consider is this one.

If you add the 'gamerz' et al....

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
WOW.... 8O

Nice paint job... cant help but think its gotta really heat up the house.

7800gtx 512 - "Nvidia claims that this card uses about 120 watts at peak"

soo 120x4= 480 watts... + 120 for an intel cpu thats 600 watts. :twisted:

i wonder what kinda psu they put in there.... two cheap chinese 350's?

cleeve

Illustrious
As nifty as it is, it's an elaborate PR stunt. I've read that a reporter asked Navidia how many of these were going to be made, and they said they refuse to give an exact number. So the guy threw in a guess at "What, like 20 or so?" and the Nvidia guy said "Yeah, that kind of ballpark".

20 or so of anything isn't a legitimate product.

But it is a nice PR stunt, though. And if someone plopped one on my doorstep I sure as hell wouldn't refuse it.

My only real problem with it is, why waste four 7800's on an Intel processor? Yuck.

ColdBreeze

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I read somewhere they were putting the Intel Pentium D 955 Extreme Edition 65nm 3.46GHz w/ 1066MHz FSB in there but they're overclocking it to 4.26GHz. I would love to see the power requirements and heat, something like a new furnace in Alaska with 2 1,000 Watt PC Power & Cooling PSU's to run it. I think it's gigantic overkill, seeing as 1 GTX 512MB bottlenecks any CPU and they're throwing in 4. If you want to future proof yourself and you don't care about eating for this year, go ahead and get it I suppose. Than again, since it's Intel, they're aint much "Future-Proofing" going on.

pauldh

Illustrious
lol, that dual GTX512MB card looks absolutely rediculous. How much longer than a full mobo is it? Looks about like some nagging fast card you and Cleeve used to post pictures of. :D

Cleev's update is better, but here's the original:

bf3d20001rx.jpg

cleeve

Illustrious
I think it's gigantic overkill, seeing as 1 GTX 512MB bottlenecks any CPU and they're throwing in 4.

I wouldn't agree to that, have a look at Pentium VS Athlon64 game benches, the A64's will beat out the Intels by 20% sometimes. It's crazy.

Here's the Bitchinfast 3d 2000 ULTRAPRO upgrade!!!:

Bfast.jpg

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Releasing new chipsets every week not only is impractical, but also risks alienating consumers, who will always be 'waiting for the next one'

That said, you think NVidia will invent some sort of brand new interface for the card? THG's probably gonna open it up and see the new pciEEEE x128 slot. 8O

bendertheoffender

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
What Dell is probably trying to do with this is make this pc just like a Ferrari/Lamborghini/etc. It's hand made, only made in limited numbers (wich will create forced scarcity bring pricing up) and is so much better than any car/computer out there (massive overkill).

That Bitchin'fast!3D2000 ultrapro is like putting a 1000+horsepower engine in any car

katmandude

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
yet, if dell gave you one, you wouldn't say no...... mouahahahahahahahhahahahahh
^^
i wonder how the second heatsink works on these cards. dont think theres much air flow down there between those 2 pcb cards. if there is , it's really concentrated. The heat from the second one is going to cook the undersides of the first one.... If they want to build a dual Card they should sandwitch two gpus directly on a massive heatsink. Or better still why not use less power hungry chips? instead of 2 use 4 smaller ones. the age of Carphic cards with thier own chipset.... the westbridge ^^
8 gpus with 4 pipes each... and 128 dedicated memory? that would make
32 pipes + 1gig of ram... smaller heatsinks...
:)
...and a east bridge for the solid state hdds??... :idea: