Looking for an alarm program

I am looking for a program that displays personal messages and that I
can use to set alarms. It should allow alarms to be setup up to a year
ahead. Alarms should be activated a specified number of hours in advance of
the appoitment by display of a pre-entered message.

The program should be designed to run continuously. It should start at
system turn on. It should display an icon in the notification area with no
label on the tastkbar. Unlike some other alarm programs (for example
Microsoft Outlook) it should automatically terminate at system shutdown
without asking for operator action or comfirmation.

Don J
2 answers Last reply
More about looking alarm program

    "Don J" <dej4000@comcast.net>
    wrote in news:IsKdnfHFMolYEL7cRVn-ug@comcast.com:
    > I am looking for a program that displays personal messages and
    > that I can use to set alarms. It should allow alarms to be setup up
    > to a year ahead. Alarms should be activated a specified number of
    > hours in advance of the appoitment by display of a pre-entered
    > message.
    >
    > The program should be designed to run continuously. It should
    > start at system turn on. It should display an icon in the
    > notification area with no label on the tastkbar. Unlike some other
    > alarm programs (for example Microsoft Outlook) it should
    > automatically terminate at system shutdown without asking for
    > operator action or comfirmation.
    >
    > Don J

    You already have most of that. It's called Task Scheduler. I use TMR
    (http://www.phatsoft.net/)which uses Task Scheduler but because the
    event runs TMR then there are additional functions available within TMR
    itself, like: show a message popup, play a sound, shutting down the
    system at a specific time, logoff user, open a file (which can be an
    executable), and go into Standby or Suspend mode. TMR lets you create
    the event but you might still want to then go into Task Scheduler to use
    its more advanced scheduling options, like how often to repeat the
    event, use multiple times (rather than repeat at the save interval),
    wake the system from sleep mode to run the event, wait until the system
    is idle before running the event, how long to retry running the event,
    etc.

    There is no tray icon when using TMR. That is because it adds an event
    to Task Scheduler (you must obviously allow the Task Scheduler service
    to load automatically on Windows Startup). There is no tray icon when
    the event gets triggered - because tray icons are too small to guarantee
    you will see them even if animated. You wanted an alert so supposedly
    you really do want to get distracted when that alert occurs; otherwise,
    you're really looking for some "status reporting" program that doesn't
    distract your from your current work and instead just displays a tiny
    tray icon. TMR isn't a super-powerful reminder program but it and its
    use of Task Scheduler have worked very well for me. And there is no
    memory footprint to TMR (unless you have deliberately disabled the Task
    Scheduler service because you didn't use it before).

    Hi

    Have you tried a search on Google - www.google.com

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Don J" <dej4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I am looking for a program that displays personal messages and that I
    > can use to set alarms. It should allow alarms to be setup up to a year
    > ahead. Alarms should be activated a specified number of hours in advance
    > of
    > the appoitment by display of a pre-entered message.
    >
    > The program should be designed to run continuously. It should start at
    > system turn on. It should display an icon in the notification area with
    > no
    > label on the tastkbar. Unlike some other alarm programs (for example
    > Microsoft Outlook) it should automatically terminate at system shutdown
    > without asking for operator action or comfirmation.
    >
    > Don J

Windows XP