Stock Cooler on Athlon64 3700+

CommodoreRed

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Well, I have my parts. Just preparing to install later next week once my work permits time to do so. I neglected to spend my already burned supply of clams on a seperate HSF. Most likely a Zalman7000B copper HSF (around 40-50 bucks all can afford atm). Now, I know it's a lot quieter...

But for a non/minimal OCer like myself, the stock hsf that comes with this AMD should be good enough eh? I mean I can always replace later, but for my needs (yeah do some heavy gaming) but the stock hsf is good enough to keep cool enough?

duality

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
From my friend's experience, the stock will run just fine, his computer rarely crashed; his computer, though, crashed from a crap Thermaltake heatsink he put on the Radeon 9800XT.

He says he wouldn't overclock the processor, as the stock cooler's rather iffy...

wicka

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I am using a 3000+ (but my 3700+ is in the mail) and the stock cooler keeps me around 36C usually, which is quite good, considering the stock cooler on my old Athlon XP kept me at 50C or so. I have heard that you can get some pretty decent overclocks out of the A64's with only stock cooling as well.