opteron 939 vs Atlhon X2

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Asus
  • Opteron
Last response: in CPUs
January 7, 2006 5:50:05 AM

Hi there...

I have been looking at upgrading for a couple of weeks now and after alot of consideration I had my heart stuck on the Athlon X2 3800+

But here is the issue...

I have read alot of people recomending the opteron 939

How much better are the opteron's comperred to the athlon's and arent the opteron's more expensive

I am a alround PC user, leaning more to the gaming side

Current Rig
Athlon 64 3200+ clocked to 4035+ (winchester core clocked at 2555MHz)
Gigabyte K8NS-939 ultra
Leadteck 6800LE AGP

Upgrade to
Athlon X2 3800+
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
ASUS EN7800GT PCI-express

More about : opteron 939 atlhon

January 7, 2006 6:45:12 AM

Jay your new system sounds pretty cool man but from what I have gathered from the two types of processors that you are curious about you should go with the X2. I believe that the opteron is more geared toward number crunching and server setups rather than gameing. In actuality X2 is more for multitasking, burning, and encoding rather than gaming but I have planned on the similar thing. Only thing I would change is your graphics card. Asus has a loud system fan. Try evga they are pretty reliable. If you have room go with a zalman cooler on the vga. It will lower the Dba by 10.
January 7, 2006 7:26:33 AM

yeh I have herd that the Asus has a loud fan...

I am from South Africa and finding cards like BFG, eVGA are impossible so I have to go with cards Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, or inno3D and hell no I will not go with inno3D... out of the other three i like the ASUS most.
T remember the days where i used to convert video for 7 hours while i slept on my Athlon 500MHz and that pc was damn loud, so I dont think that it will be that serious (if it is to bad i have read that you can slow the cooler down with rivatuner...

thanks for the heads up on the graohics card but back to the point

The reason I want to go with the X2 is because of the multi prosessing and sooner or later games with use those threds... Or amagine converting video on the one core while playing FEAR on the onther...

i am just confused by the opteron 939
Related resources
January 7, 2006 7:55:32 AM

I think its about time we had a opteron info section to dispel some myths:

The 1st important factor is we are talking about socket 939 opterons so be careful and do not get a 940 socket.

The opteron is marketed as a server/workstation cpu but here is why opterons are recommend by so many:

The opteron is the same chip as the 64 or x2 depending on if you choose dual core or single. Every thing is the same as the main stream Athlons, same design, instructions, features etc etc but the opteron is the cream of the Athlon crop. It is made form the higher quality components so they can handle the higher levels of stress servers will put on them.

Look at it this way the Opteron 175 is a x2 4400+ its the same totaly but the opteron has a greater change of overclocking to a high level.

This is why opterons are recommended as overclockers can push them further than other chips.

I have a 146 opteron 2ghz stock, currently overclocked running at 2.8ghz (thats a fx-57 i have now for a lot less money). I have even had it up to 3ghz but I backed off till its run in a bit more. This is all done on air cooling with a small voltage increase.
This means for £115 $257 (146) I have a cpu that would cost me £709 $1011 (fx-57) a big saving.

Now consider your situation:

Ok the 3800+ x2 is 2x512kb cache @ 2ghz $322
Cheapest opteron 165 2x1mb cache @ 1.8ghz $345

Now consider that the opteron will overclock a lot more than the 3800+ and has more cache. I would expect the 165 to hit at least 2.2ghz on stock cooling (Type in opteron overclocking in google and you will see threads on how high a 165 will go).

So in essence for a potential bargin and your willing to overclock buy an opteron. If you do not ever want to overclock buy a 3800+.
January 7, 2006 8:00:00 AM

I recently put together my 4400 x2 system and it overclocks like a dream for me rock stable at 2.6 ghz. The whole system was put together for $1800.
January 7, 2006 8:17:22 AM

Quote:
I think its about time we had a opteron info section to dispel some myths:

The 1st important factor is we are talking about socket 939 opterons so be careful and do not get a 940 socket.

The opteron is marketed as a server/workstation cpu but here is why opterons are recommend by so many:

The opteron is the same chip as the 64 or x2 depending on if you choose dual core or single. Every thing is the same as the main stream Athlons, same design, instructions, features etc etc but the opteron is the cream of the Athlon crop. It is made form the higher quality components so they can handle the higher levels of stress servers will put on them.

Look at it this way the Opteron 175 is a x2 4400+ its the same totaly but the opteron has a greater change of overclocking to a high level.

This is why opterons are recommended as overclockers can push them further than other chips.

I have a 146 opteron 2ghz stock, currently overclocked running at 2.8ghz (thats a fx-57 i have now for a lot less money). I have even had it up to 3ghz but I backed off till its run in a bit more. This is all done on air cooling with a small voltage increase.
This means for £115 $257 (146) I have a cpu that would cost me £709 $1011 (fx-57) a big saving.

Now consider your situation:

Ok the 3800+ x2 is 2x512kb cache @ 2ghz $322
Cheapest opteron 165 2x1mb cache @ 1.8ghz $345

Now consider that the opteron will overclock a lot more than the 3800+ and has more cache. I would expect the 165 to hit at least 2.2ghz on stock cooling (Type in opteron overclocking in google and you will see threads on how high a 165 will go).

So in essence for a potential bargin and your willing to overclock buy an opteron. If you do not ever want to overclock buy a 3800+.

But I hear that the opteron's are being discontinued to retailers? Do you know why? And why is the Opteron's FSB is only 1000 and the x2 is 2000 FSB? And I read that the x2's multipliers are locked? What does that mean and are the Opteron's locked as well? Does it make a difference in performance? Same question goes for the the FSB. Also I hear people OCIng the x2's just as the same as the Opterons so I really dont c the difference between the 2 except for the x2's being cheaper.
January 7, 2006 8:32:15 AM

last I heard yes AMD were discontinuing selling to retailers, this is because Amd found out they were selling opterons that were tha same as athlons for less money and stocks were depleated quickly.

Newegg has them and all the shops in the Uk have the opteron back instock so it appears to me this threat has not materialised.
Also here in the UK the price of the opteron has increased a fair bit so when I bought mine is was a lot cheaper than the comparable 64 but now they are abut the same price.

The opterons fsb is 2000 its just the way some sites put in diff info but it is exactly the same as the x2.

Yes the muliplier is locked on the x2 and opteron the only chips that dont are the FX.

Its important to remember that no Cpu will be the same, they will all have different tolarances. This makes overclocking a x2 or dual opteron harder because you have to overclock 2 cores and one may not go as high as the other.

Yes some x2s will overclock as high as any opteron but again all cpus are different and will go to different levels. Some x2 owners will get nothing when trying to overclock some will get huge gains.

The chances of a decent overclock with an opteron is higher than with an x2.
January 7, 2006 8:39:49 AM

Quote:
last I heard yes AMD were discontinuing selling to retailers, this is because Amd found out they were selling opterons that were tha same as athlons for less money and stocks were depleated quickly.

Newegg has them and all the shops in the Uk have the opteron back instock so it appears to me this threat has not materialised.
Also here in the UK the price of the opteron has increased a fair bit so when I bought mine is was a lot cheaper than the comparable 64 but now they are abut the same price.

The opterons fsb is 2000 its just the way some sites put in diff info but it is exactly the same as the x2.

Yes the muliplier is locked on the x2 and opteron the only chips that dont are the FX.

Its important to remember that no Cpu will be the same, they will all have different tolarances. This makes overclocking a x2 or dual opteron harder because you have to overclock 2 cores and one may not go as high as the other.

Yes some x2s will overclock as high as any opteron but again all cpus are different and will go to different levels. Some x2 owners will get nothing when trying to overclock some will get huge gains.

The chances of a decent overclock with an opteron is higher than with an x2.

Thanks for the clearing that up. When I go to different retailers online they alwasy post the Opterons FSB at 1000. So I was curious why. I'm deciding on getting a Opteron 170 or 175 or x2 4400 or maybe even 4600. Can't really decide on what. I do plan on OCing but later down the line. Probably in a couple of years or so. But at the sametime it worries me to OC it because of the potential harm that might arise from OCing. what is your thought? :roll:
January 7, 2006 8:53:55 AM

170 @ 2 $465
175 @ 2.2 $535
4400@ 2.2 $497
4600@ 2.4 512kbx2 $630

Ok do not know your loacaion so we will use $ and your preferd cpus. these prices were retail not oem

If your planning to oc at a later date I would go for a 4400 if I was you. The 4600 is not worth the price hike and you might as well save some cash and go x2 4400 over opteron 175, and the 165 is not much cheaper.

I think if we were talking single core the opteron would be the best deal.

The x2 is also officialy supported by motherboards if you run into trouble as well. Opterons they will just tell you wont work.
January 7, 2006 9:25:02 AM

does anyone know if the opteron 165 939 will work on a asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard???

That will be the diciding facter if it works i will get it if it does not then i wont
January 7, 2006 9:32:23 AM

Yeh should be ok, others are running the 165 and 170 on the a8n32 that I have seen. Go on over to the asus forums and check to see if any one has posted any issues if you want to double check.
January 7, 2006 11:47:56 AM

Hey Jayman
I reckon a A8N-SLi-Premium in some tests it out performs the A8N32..if u wanna go for upgrades either one will be good but if u want sli and upgrades A8n would be better...A8N32 only have more pipelines but the video cards today still dont use full use of it... anyway its your choice

i reckon X2 it will probley last u a couple more years..
January 7, 2006 12:26:26 PM

I got my Opteron 175 OEM from NewEgg in Dec, before Xmas.
FYI it is the equivalent of the X2-4400 2x1mb cache 2x@2.2ghz.
$459 is what I paid, at the time and I believe now too, no X2 OEM were to be found, and retail X2-4400 was $520 (Opteron was $60 cheaper than equal X2), then a rumor ran around stating that AMD was discontinuing the 939 Opteron's.
A few days later AMD assured it would not and proved it for now anyway...
The 939 Opteron's are identified as 1xx single core, with dual core starting at 16x and going through 185 . . .
January 8, 2006 8:02:13 AM

Quote:
I got my Opteron 175 OEM from NewEgg in Dec, before Xmas.
FYI it is the equivalent of the X2-4400 2x1mb cache 2x@2.2ghz.
$459 is what I paid, at the time and I believe now too, no X2 OEM were to be found, and retail X2-4400 was $520 (Opteron was $60 cheaper than equal X2), then a rumor ran around stating that AMD was discontinuing the 939 Opteron's.
A few days later AMD assured it would not and proved it for now anyway...
The 939 Opteron's are identified as 1xx single core, with dual core starting at 16x and going through 185 . . .

[/b]But the Opteron's are dual core right? Opteron 165,170,175 and 180? :roll:
January 8, 2006 8:24:05 AM

Yeh 165, 170, 175, 180 opterons are dual core

146, 148, 150, 152, 154 opterons are single core
January 9, 2006 3:52:52 AM

Quote:
Yeh 165, 170, 175, 180 opterons are dual core

146, 148, 150, 152, 154 opterons are single core

Hey thanks. I was thinking of going to OPTY 170.
Get a ABIT A8N sli GURU mobo, I think that's what it's called.
PSU probably enermax or something, 1GB ram, maybe OCZ, Corsair.
Sata2 HD. What do you think? Good or do you have a better. I'am not looking for the top of the line MOBO, but something in the middle where it can OC good, has sata2, ata/ 100 capablility, SLI and other goodies. I don't plan on ocing right away, but maybe in a couple of yrs or so. :twisted: Any thoughts?
January 9, 2006 4:32:24 AM

Quote:
It is made form the higher quality components

Well, thay's a bit of a stretch. I'm not trying to get on your case, but here's my take on it.
Amd makes all of thier cores at a single fab, in Dresden Germany.
They start by making a large round flat piece of silicon, called a wafer. Not all wafers are equal, some are better than others.
On the wafer, they use a type of photo etching process to lay down the circuits.
Because of the process, the center part of the wafer has the best circuitry. With a sytem with 2 variables (wafer quality, and position on wafer) it is possible to get a variation in product quality, and yet still have a very usable product, at the low end.
The people at the fab run tests on the cores, and divide them into different groups. This is called binning.
All opteron chips are higher binned than X2 or A64 chips.
That doesn't mean that the X2s, or A64s are worse. Even on a "bad" wafer, and off center, you can get perfect etching, so sometimes you can get a truly great chip. All chips are warrantied to work as sold, but most do much better.
January 9, 2006 4:45:24 PM

Yeh ok sorry bad choice of words on my part, just trying to get across that the opteron is identical to the Athlon.

Had to explain it so much recently I wasnt thinking too straight :lol: 
January 9, 2006 8:00:44 PM

Quote:
It is made form the higher quality components

Well, thay's a bit of a stretch. I'm not trying to get on your case, but here's my take on it.
Amd makes all of thier cores at a single fab, in Dresden Germany.
They start by making a large round flat piece of silicon, called a wafer. Not all wafers are equal, some are better than others.
On the wafer, they use a type of photo etching process to lay down the circuits.
Because of the process, the center part of the wafer has the best circuitry. With a sytem with 2 variables (wafer quality, and position on wafer) it is possible to get a variation in product quality, and yet still have a very usable product, at the low end.
The people at the fab run tests on the cores, and divide them into different groups. This is called binning.
All opteron chips are higher binned than X2 or A64 chips.
That doesn't mean that the X2s, or A64s are worse. Even on a "bad" wafer, and off center, you can get perfect etching, so sometimes you can get a truly great chip. All chips are warrantied to work as sold, but most do much better.
Wow you know a thing or 2 don't cha lol. Well i'm leaning toward more to Opty 170 or 175. But again as I stated this before, I'm kinda worried that it wont' be very compatible with MOBO's out there because it's more of a server chip than, regular home use. Do you know of any or reading other forums that people were having compatiblity issues with Opty's and MOBO's? :twisted:
January 9, 2006 9:57:15 PM

They are based on the same design and are compatible. If the opty doesn't work, it is same issue with X2, and you'll need a BIOS flash.
January 10, 2006 12:04:49 AM

:twisted:
Quote:
DFI NF4 SLI-DR Expert is about as hardcore as you can get when it comes to overclocking.
Otherwise the Abit one you mentioned will do which provides simpler OCing options than DFI for begginers.

What do you think about these choices of MOBO's for the OPTY 170 or 175? Abit KN8 SLI nF4 or Abit KN8 Ultra. i'm thinking of getting one of those. Quality, stability, and OCing. Since I hear a lot of people saying DFI is really good, but for me there little out of my price range. Do you know any link that sells them for about 120 ish to $130? And how do will that compare to the MOBOS I mentioned above? :twisted:
September 9, 2007 4:24:00 AM

can anyone tell me how 2 overclock amd opteron 148 2.2ghz
in bious i dropped ht two 2x...fsb201...11x it cant even overclock 2 201
original fsb speed is 200mhz if anyone can help be apreciated