different desktop restrictions for different users?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

I managed to get TS setup so that it auto-launches a application when
anyone TS into the server, but that also means that admins get the same
restrictions. What I need is to setup all users except admin level users
so that they get two icons (the two applications) on their desktop when
they TS into the server.

Any documents, links, or other help is appreciated.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

You can configure all this with a Group Policy.
Use folder redirection of the Desktop and Start Menu to give your
users a custom desktop.

260370 - How to Apply Group Policy Objects to Terminal Services
Servers
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260370

231287 - Loopback Processing of Group Policy
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=231287

Apply to users only, not to admins through security filtering of the
GPO:

816100 - How To Prevent Domain Group Policies from Applying to
Administrator Accounts and Selected Users in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816100

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 07:39:13 -0700, Vera Noest [MVP] wrote:

> You can configure all this with a Group Policy.
> Use folder redirection of the Desktop and Start Menu to give your
> users a custom desktop.
>
> 260370 - How to Apply Group Policy Objects to Terminal Services
> Servers
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260370
>
> 231287 - Loopback Processing of Group Policy
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=231287
>
> Apply to users only, not to admins through security filtering of the
> GPO:
>
> 816100 - How To Prevent Domain Group Policies from Applying to
> Administrator Accounts and Selected Users in Windows Server 2003
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816100

Thanks for the links and information -I will read all of this tonight.

--

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:42:33 +0000, Leythos wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 07:39:13 -0700, Vera Noest [MVP] wrote:
>>
>> You can configure all this with a Group Policy. Use folder redirection
>> of the Desktop and Start Menu to give your users a custom desktop.
>>
>> 260370 - How to Apply Group Policy Objects to Terminal Services Servers
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260370
>>
>> 231287 - Loopback Processing of Group Policy
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=231287
>>
>> Apply to users only, not to admins through security filtering of the
>> GPO:
>>
>> 816100 - How To Prevent Domain Group Policies from Applying to
>> Administrator Accounts and Selected Users in Windows Server 2003
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816100

Just as an update, I used 816100 to set the server and this worked
perfectly.

Now, if I could figure out how to setup a normal desktop of MS Outlook
apps and the other two apps, and limit the users to only those apps, I
could use TS sessions only instead of domain-logons from their
workstations.

Thanks again.

--

Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote on 21 apr 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:42:33 +0000, Leythos wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 07:39:13 -0700, Vera Noest [MVP] wrote:
>>>
>>> You can configure all this with a Group Policy. Use folder
>>> redirection of the Desktop and Start Menu to give your users a
>>> custom desktop.
>>>
>>> 260370 - How to Apply Group Policy Objects to Terminal
>>> Services Servers http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260370
>>>
>>> 231287 - Loopback Processing of Group Policy
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=231287
>>>
>>> Apply to users only, not to admins through security filtering
>>> of the GPO:
>>>
>>> 816100 - How To Prevent Domain Group Policies from Applying to
>>> Administrator Accounts and Selected Users in Windows Server
>>> 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816100
>
> Just as an update, I used 816100 to set the server and this
> worked perfectly.
>
> Now, if I could figure out how to setup a normal desktop of MS
> Outlook apps and the other two apps, and limit the users to only
> those apps, I could use TS sessions only instead of
> domain-logons from their workstations.
>
> Thanks again.

Create a custom desktop folder on a network share. Put shortcuts to
your applications in this folder. Use folder redirection in your
GPO to make this custom folder the default desktop for the users:

User Configuration - Windows Settings - Folder Redirection

--
Vera Noest

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:06:52 -0700, Vera Noest [MVP] wrote:

> Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote on 21 apr 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

>> Just as an update, I used 816100 to set the server and this worked
>> perfectly.
>>
>> Now, if I could figure out how to setup a normal desktop of MS Outlook
>> apps and the other two apps, and limit the users to only those apps, I
>> could use TS sessions only instead of domain-logons from their
>> workstations.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>
> Create a custom desktop folder on a network share. Put shortcuts to your
> applications in this folder. Use folder redirection in your GPO to make
> this custom folder the default desktop for the users:
>
> User Configuration - Windows Settings - Folder Redirection

Vera, all users are already setup with roaming profiles, redirected
folders, and such. This lets them login anywhere in the company at any
location and get all their files.

As I'm a TS noob, how would I configure the above suggestion to allow it
to only take effect for TS users sessions and not the normal logins?

Thanks again.

--

Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote on 22 apr 2005:

> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:06:52 -0700, Vera Noest [MVP] wrote:
>
>> Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote on 21 apr 2005 in
>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

>>> Just as an update, I used 816100 to set the server and this
>>> worked perfectly.
>>>
>>> Now, if I could figure out how to setup a normal desktop of MS
>>> Outlook apps and the other two apps, and limit the users to
>>> only those apps, I could use TS sessions only instead of
>>> domain-logons from their workstations.
>>>
>>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Create a custom desktop folder on a network share. Put
>> shortcuts to your applications in this folder. Use folder
>> redirection in your GPO to make this custom folder the default
>> desktop for the users:
>>
>> User Configuration - Windows Settings - Folder Redirection
>
> Vera, all users are already setup with roaming profiles,
> redirected folders, and such. This lets them login anywhere in
> the company at any location and get all their files.
>
> As I'm a TS noob, how would I configure the above suggestion to
> allow it to only take effect for TS users sessions and not the
> normal logins?
>
> Thanks again.

Loopback processing does just that.
Check the KB articles 260370 and 231287, referenced above.

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

You can try this : http://www21.brinkster.com/mctran2000/RAC20/

Regards

Thomas T