How to use Remote Desktop on Terminal Server.

miguel

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Hi all.

I need to use de remote desktop for administrative pourpose on a Windows
Server 2003 with Terminal Server installer and I must to avoid to use a
Terminal Server License, because the licenses are for our customer users.

Thanks for any help.

Miguel.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Choose properites on my computer, then remote desktop. Check the Enable
Remote Desktop on this computer checkbox.

Rickard
"Miguel" <miguel.ramos@_nospam_sivsa.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi all.
>
> I need to use de remote desktop for administrative pourpose on a Windows
> Server 2003 with Terminal Server installer and I must to avoid to use a
> Terminal Server License, because the licenses are for our customer users.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Miguel.

miguel

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

OK, but if the the Terminal Server is Running the License Server will give
me a license. I need to avoid this "only" for the computers in my
enterprise..

thanks.

"Rickard(Riwe)" <triddler@msn.com> escribió en el mensaje
> Choose properites on my computer, then remote desktop. Check the Enable
> Remote Desktop on this computer checkbox.
>
> Rickard
> "Miguel" <miguel.ramos@_nospam_sivsa.com> skrev i meddelandet
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I need to use de remote desktop for administrative pourpose on a Windows
>> Server 2003 with Terminal Server installer and I must to avoid to use a
>> Terminal Server License, because the licenses are for our customer users.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> Miguel.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

You can't. Once a Terminal Server runs in "Application Server mode",
all connections need a TS CAL.

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"Miguel" <miguel.ramos@_nospam_sivsa.com> wrote on 22 apr 2005:

> OK, but if the the Terminal Server is Running the License Server
> will give me a license. I need to avoid this "only" for the
> computers in my enterprise..
>
> thanks.
>
> "Rickard(Riwe)" <triddler@msn.com> escribió en el mensaje
>> Choose properites on my computer, then remote desktop. Check
>> the Enable Remote Desktop on this computer checkbox.
>>
>> Rickard
>> "Miguel" <miguel.ramos@_nospam_sivsa.com> skrev i meddelandet
>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> I need to use de remote desktop for administrative pourpose on
>>> a Windows Server 2003 with Terminal Server installer and I
>>> must to avoid to use a Terminal Server License, because the
>>> licenses are for our customer users.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help.
>>>
>>> Miguel.

miguel

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

If I enable the Terminal Server, wich is the funcion of the "Remote Desktop"
check???. Consider that we are talking about 2003 environment.

Thanks for your response.
Miguel.

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> escribió en el
mensaje news:Xns9640A82AF5EFAveranoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16...
> You can't. Once a Terminal Server runs in "Application Server mode",
> all connections need a TS CAL.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>
> "Miguel" <miguel.ramos@_nospam_sivsa.com> wrote on 22 apr 2005:
>
>> OK, but if the the Terminal Server is Running the License Server
>> will give me a license. I need to avoid this "only" for the
>> computers in my enterprise..
>>
>> thanks.
>>
>> "Rickard(Riwe)" <triddler@msn.com> escribió en el mensaje
>>> Choose properites on my computer, then remote desktop. Check
>>> the Enable Remote Desktop on this computer checkbox.
>>>
>>> Rickard
>>> "Miguel" <miguel.ramos@_nospam_sivsa.com> skrev i meddelandet

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

OK, I believe we misunderstand each other, so let me try to
summarize:

If you install Terminal Services on a 2003 server, it implies
"Application Server mode" (as it was called in W2K). This means you
get multi-user functionality, and it also means that you need a TS
CAL for *every* connection.

If you only want Remote Administration, you should *not* install
Terminal Services, since Remote Desktop for Administration is
already pre-installed. You only enable it in System - Remote, just
like on XP. This is a change compared to W2K.

Note: if you install Terminal Services (implying AS mode), you
"loose" your free administrative connections, as it did in W2K.
The "Remote Desktop - Users" button is only used to give permission
to users to connect with rdp.

As I understand it, you have a 2003 Terminal Server for external
customers. If you want to administer this server remotely, you will
have to buy a TS CAL for your connection.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Miguel" <miguel.ramos@_nospam_sivsa.com> wrote on 22 apr 2005 in