spunky5150

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2004
That's IT!!!! Am I being thick or is my system really starting to crack up?? For any one interested read HL2 post.
So I did some reading, I found out that some on board sound chips have had problems with HL2 and Doom 3, ergo MINE!!
So I shoved the good old Audigy 2zs, completely removed and disabled the NVidia sound chip and guess what now!??!
My monitor goes out of range!!!
It's a Benq FP731 for any one interested plus all the kit I mentioned in my other post. I'm running it at 1024x768x16.
WTF!!! have I got to do to play this F&$@ING game????
Any one fancy buying a well powered machine that can't play HL2???
Going to a good home!!!
DC

pauldh

Illustrious
Any one fancy buying a well powered machine that can't play HL2???
No, but I would trade it for an under-powered machine that CAN play it. :wink:

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>

i was gonna say that you may have an irq conflict...

but now that doesnt really seem to be the case.

<font color=blue>I'm a DICK! So take it pussy!</font color=blue>
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Psychotic Sociopath.}=-</A>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
You have probably already done this but I might as well say it anyway. Do you have all the latest drivers for everything? I had some sound problems with hl2 until I got the absolute latest drivers. It wouldn't start up until I installed the latest ATI Catalyst drivers. I was still using like 3.10 or something though so it was understandable.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
WARNING!!

A computer purchased retail that is Integrated with onboard sound Ethernet cards and Graphics processor is not likely to be able to run HL2.

Computer aftermarket motherboards that are high end for building a computer such as ASUS, MSI or other motherboards that have integrated hardware options such as onboard audio and Ethernet cards are in an elite league of hardware and will run HL2 perfectly.

In other words if you build a game P.C you get a game P.C. If you purchase a retail computer your at the mercy of the substandard motherboard they install. SIS is the worst !@#$%%^^%^ing motherboard manufacturer on the planet don't go there.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=orange>LOVES</font color=orange> <font color=red>CANADA</font color=red>

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Huh?

Check out his rig:

xp3200
Asus A7N8x Deluxe
1.5Gig 3200 hyper x
x800 pro
Mobile XP 2600+ (11X215)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win2K sp4

spunky5150

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2004
Obviously there's a bit more to my system than that. I just thought I'd leave the basics.
Athlon xp3200
Asus A7N8x Deluxe
Seagate Barracuda 120Gb 7200rpm ATA133
Antec TruePower 480 watts
1.5Gig 3200 hyper x
ATi stock X800 pro catalyst 5.1
Antec Plus view 1000
Zalman Cu7000 @ 1600rpm
Cpu @ 42oC
Mobo @ 20oC

sh1ft3d

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2004
I have a Chaintech nForce4 board with onboard AC97 Realtek sound. I installed the latest drivers, and I would only get sound out of 2 speakers even though I had "4 Speakers" selected from within HL2 and CS:S. After doing some research, I discovered that there are known issues with HL2, CS:S, along with other games when using the AC97 Realtek sound. I did see though that an older version of the drivers actually works better than the newest released drivers. After reverting back to "outdated" drivers, HL2, CS:S along with other non-gaming audio sounds a lot better, ironically.

--------------------------------------------
In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

DFenn

Distinguished
May 7, 2003
I have just spent a good while downloading the multiple gigabytes of HL2 via Steam and to tell you the truth I am not as impressed as I thought I was going to be.

I had problems when first trying to use it but got round most of them by dropping from 1280 x 1024 to 1024 x 768, going from 4 speakers down to 2 speakers. Still had skipping problems with sound and video but used -heapsize 512000 in the launch options and this seems to have solved it although still drops a few frames in high detail scenes.

XP 2400+, 768Mb RAM, WD 80Gb, 128Mb 9600XT, SB 5.1

A computer purchased retail that is Integrated with onboard sound Ethernet cards and Graphics processor is not likely to be able to run HL2.

Not entirely true. Onboard graphics means the game won't look so pretty and probably play sluggishly... but the game should still run.

In other words if you build a game P.C you get a game P.C. If you purchase a retail computer your at the mercy of the substandard motherboard they install. SIS is the worst !@#$%%^^%^ing motherboard manufacturer on the planet don't go there.

SiS doesn't make motherboards... they make chipsets. And they are not the worst by far. (Especially if you listen to Crashman). I'll agree some of their chipsets are less than stellar; but they are usually stable and very capable. I can't remember which platform it was (P4, AMD, AMD64), but at one time the SiS chipset was the chipset of choice for that platform. It was the fact that a crappy manufacturer like ECS was the only one using that chipset on their boards.

Computer aftermarket motherboards that are high end for building a computer such as ASUS, MSI or other motherboards that have integrated hardware options such as onboard audio and Ethernet cards are in an elite league of hardware and will run HL2 perfectly.

Integrated is integrated. An integrated NIC on a HP mobo won't run any better / worse than an integrated NIC on an Asus mobo... assuming both are using the same chipset. In fact, HP has been know to use Asus boards in their computers from time to time. Aftermarket boards are more tweakable than retail PC mobos... that is true... because HP doesn't want their customers -[peeping]- with crap they don't understand and possibly screwing something up. The BIOS is usually locked to the most stable settings; rather than high-performance settings.

As to the monitor going out of range... is HL2 the only game affected?

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
I found out real fast that the onboard Network cards on the Nvidia chipset board that I have with the 3COM and NVIDIA network cards are superior to any PCI version Network card. I have more network options and the integrated cards of course do not have IRQ steering problems or conflicts that after market network cards are famous for.

As for SiS motherboards they are and always will be total trash. IBM used SiS in all their IBM Aptiva desktops a few years back. 475 MHz AMD CPU's that ran very well considering the CPU's could only be upgraded to 500 MHz as the SiS chipsets sucked goats milk.

As for any onboard graphics card running elite games such as HL2 or Doom3 good luck with that. Most integrated graphics chipsets a few years back never exceeded 32 MB and most were 4MB to 16 MB integrated. They simply did not have the resources such as DX and Memory enough to support games such as those two.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=orange>LOVES</font color=orange> <font color=red>CANADA</font color=red>

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Silk Screened right onto the boys IMB Aptiva's motherboard in large 2 inch high white scroll letters SiS. Aptiva manufacture date of Dec/2000.

As for any onboard graphics card running elite games such as HL2 or Doom3 good luck with that. Most integrated graphics chipsets a few years back never exceeded 32 MB and most were 4MB to 16 MB integrated. They simply did not have the resources such as DX and Memory enough to support games such as those two.

I was referring to more modern chipsets... those that allow you to allocate up to 128MB of RAM for video memory. They will play the games, but they won't look very good... and they'll run slower than molassess in January.

As for SiS motherboards they are and always will be total trash. IBM used SiS in all their IBM Aptiva desktops a few years back. 475 MHz AMD CPU's that ran very well considering the CPU's could only be upgraded to 500 MHz as the SiS chipsets sucked goats milk.

That's IBM's fault, not SiS. IBM could have offered better upgradability, but chose not to.

Crash.. what the hell was that SiS chipset you loved so much?

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

DFenn

Distinguished
May 7, 2003
I have happily used an ECS K75SA mobo for years, admittedly it is getting a bit old now but I have had no problems with the SIS 735 chipset. Have got a version 1.1 board but loaded the HoneyX Pro version BIOS, ramped up the clock speed and hey presto, a reasonble system (as long as you disable all the onboard vga, sound, modem etc. it is a solid board). I play Doom3, HL2 and a lot of online Steam based stuff with no problems.

ECS K75SA 1.1 (HoneyX Pro BIOS)
AMD 2200 XP (clocked to 2400, temp 41C)
768Mb RAM
WD 80 Gb HDD
NEC 3500A DVD
Sapphire 9600XT 128Mb AGP
Creative 5.1 Player PCI
1Mb ADSL

lonewolf1215

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I have had no problems playing HL2, Doom3, Far Cry, Halo, or any other high end games with either of my rigs.

Rig 1:

Abit IC7-G Mobo
1-Gig Corsair TWINX1024-3700PT Memory
1-BFG 6800 OC Graphics Card
Segate 120-Gig SATA Drive
Antec 430-watt True Power Supply
Audigy 2 Platinum Sound Card
P4 3.06MHz CPU

Rig-2

A8N-SLI Deluxe Mobo
Audigy 2 Platinum Sound Card
1-Gig Corsair (TWINX1024-3200XLPRO) Memory
1 BFG 6800 OC Ultra PCI-Express Graphics Card
74-Gig Western Digital 10000 RPM Raptor Drive
2-300Gig Maxtor Ultra/16 7200 RPM drives RAIDED together
Mad Dog 500Watt Power Supply
Thermalright XP-120 Heatsink with a 120mm Panaflo Fan
AMD 3500+ Athlon-64 New Castle

Both of these systems ran all the high end games without any problems. In rig 1 I even had an ATI 9800 Pro graphics card in and still had no problems.

DFenn

Distinguished
May 7, 2003
I'm not suprised to didn't have any problems with either rig with specs like that!

I like the way you refer to an ATI 9800 Pro card like it was a piece of cr4p, I run a 9600XL and still manage to run 'high end' games at a reasonable framerate.

:p

K7S5A, XP2200, 768RAM, 9600XL, 120HDD
(Grumpy Old Gamer)

lonewolf1215

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I actually liked my 9800 Pro. I ended up having to upgrade my graphics card because someone knocked over a glass with Coca Cola in it over my case. The only thing that got fried was my 9800 Pro. I would have bought another 9800 Pro but since my friend was paying for my replacement I decided to go with the 6800 OC from BFG.

DFenn

Distinguished
May 7, 2003
Showing my age now, but not long ago one of my kids poured a can of cola into the back of my system, lost the mb, psu, cpu and DVD. Strangely enough my video card survived (ATI Radeon 32 DDR). Managed to get a whole new system via accidential damage cover in insurance policy :)

K7S5A, XP2200, 768RAM, 9600XL, 120HDD
(Grumpy Old Gamer)