So. New system, new OS?

frydhamstr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
So, I am building a new gaming PC this Christmas and I haven't been able to find information about Windows 8 specific enough that will allow me to make an informed decision on whether or not to, you guessed it... get Windows 7 or Windows 8.

The system I am building is built specifically to run today's most taxing games (BF3, Skyrim, etc.) and as of now I am leaning toward Windows 7 just based off of the fact that Windows 8's UI just looks.... horridly counter-productive. It makes me wonder: "How in the world am I supposed to mod Minecraft with a UI like that!?."

Also, just being used to the traditional Windows UI for many, many years, Win7 just instantly looks more appealing to me (I have also been using Win7 since the day it was released).

So my real question here is: what do you guys suggest? Or perhaps you could educate me more about Win8 (or even Win7?) and how it pertains to this topic?

Thanks for your time.

Solution
Look up youtube videos to see if Win 8 appeals to you, download the demo. Otherwise stick with Windows 7. Windows 8 is almost an entirely different OS minus the desktop. If it's a serious advantage then go for Win 8. But if you don't really see much of a difference then going to Windows 7 will be more beneficial to you. IMO just choosing Win 8 to make it look & function like Win 7 just tells MS that people will upgrade to the newest OS no matter what.

If you see a function on there that you must have then go for it. The only real difference i see with Win 8 is you can have simple apps, but if your like me and like to have tons of windows open, despite the fact that Win 8 does have a desktop like i said before if there's nothing that...

e-coli

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
I would recommend WIN 8 to you because it still does retain the original desktop. (Which is really like) and also has the extra dashboard, and according to some reports Windows 8 uses less RAM.
-e-coli
NvidiaUser.png

e-coli

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
I would recommend WIN 8 to you because it still does retain the original desktop. (Which is really like) and also has the extra dashboard, and according to some reports Windows 8 uses less RAM.
-e-coli
NvidiaUser.png

e-coli

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
-e-coli
NvidiaUser.png

frydhamstr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

I believe that both 8 and 7 cost the same?
And does switching to desktop mode in Win8 have the same start menu (and it's functions/customization) and all as 7?

frydhamstr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

I believe that both 8 and 7 cost the same?
And does switching to desktop mode in Win8 have the same start menu (and it's functions/customization) and all as 7?

Azteck

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
Ok Windows 8 is good if you have a tablet or a phone. For desktop I would go with Windows 7. The reason is if you listen to music, Windows 8 took out genre so for me is harder to know where my music is at. Another reason is Windows 8 is not for multi screens, I notice when I play a movie it doesn't look quit right and you can move the movie over to 1 screen if your doing Eyefinity,. It has some other quarks to it also.If you are using it for business I think it is great but for a gaming and everyday thing no.
I have a dual boot of windows 7 and windows 8 on my PC. I would go with Windows 7. Not all drivers are setup for Windows 8 yet either. Example ASUS AI suit does not work with Windows 8 and when I am gaming my sound volume lowers by itself. Sometimes I can raise volume back up, other times I have to restart PC.

Go Windows 7!!!:)

frydhamstr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

I don't use two screens and I don't use genres to sort music, but then you talk about gaming, that got my attention :D

frydhamstr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

I don't use two screens and I don't use genres to sort music, but then you talk about gaming, that got my attention :D

Azteck

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
For gaming there really is no difference in performance. It does take a lil more clicks for you to get where you are going. Another thing is when you shut down PC or do a restart you click on the settings button to do those.
Another thing they said you can play xbox games, well it is the xbox mini games. Not the retail games you buy at the store.

frydhamstr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

Well, after seeing a program like Start8 I think the whole (majority of) Win7 UI will still be there after all.

frydhamstr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

I have found multiple "betas" such as Start8 that bring back the start menu while keeping the Win8 style, it will probably influence my decision.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012

I don't really see the need for a start menu... There is literally a list format/icon format for all the applications on your computer... and you can still pin stuff to the toolbar at the bottom in desktop mode so the most used programs are available a click away anyways...

Azn Cracker

Distinguished

Well the problem is that people are not used to it. When windows 7 came out, i got rid of the stacking of icons on the taskbar because I was too used to the old way.

frydhamstr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

I hate icons, personally. They ruin my wallpapers :/

Taskbar gets cluttered without icons.

Start menu allows me to access certain folders quickly, the control panel, my most used programs, and the all-important search bar.

But, of course, it's useless talking about this now that I have mentioned Start8 about three times.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012

I think someone needs to learn about having folders on the desktop lol.

I guess it is really hard to break habit. I'm use to typing on a small laptop keyboard and now i keep having misspellings because the key spacings are different...

frydhamstr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

That happened to me when I switched from one of the "chunky" dell keyboards to the new "thin" keyboards, took me forever to get used to that.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Look up youtube videos to see if Win 8 appeals to you, download the demo. Otherwise stick with Windows 7. Windows 8 is almost an entirely different OS minus the desktop. If it's a serious advantage then go for Win 8. But if you don't really see much of a difference then going to Windows 7 will be more beneficial to you. IMO just choosing Win 8 to make it look & function like Win 7 just tells MS that people will upgrade to the newest OS no matter what.

If you see a function on there that you must have then go for it. The only real difference i see with Win 8 is you can have simple apps, but if your like me and like to have tons of windows open, despite the fact that Win 8 does have a desktop like i said before if there's nothing that interests you with Win 8 then stay with Win 7.

Solution

frydhamstr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

The main reason I'm now probably leaning towards 8 at this point is the fact that basically all new games for the next few yearsd will be optimized for win8, at that is something you obviously won't get with 7. Also, Win7 OEM is more expensive than Win8 OEM for some reason...