TS and local COM ports? Can it work?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.user (More info?)

I have to setup Terminal Services for remote offices, but the remote
offices have ADP payroll time clocks connected to the local computers
serial port - not the servers computer.

Can a terminal services user still use the local workstations COM ports
in applications running on the remote TS server?

Thanks

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

In Server 2003, yes.
--
Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

In article <13AFAF2B-2495-4E25-8DFD-0A6FBA5E76A4@microsoft.com>,
PatrickRouse@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> In Server 2003, yes.

I migrated the domain and all child domains to 2003 already, but some
apps that the remote offices use are too slow across the 2mbps VPN
tunnels. Testing of them on a temporary TS server is quick, so now they
want to move all offices (max of 10 users per office) to using a single
Dual Xeon 3.2ghz/3gb server remotely for Office, MAS200, daily functions
and just make the workstations workgroup computers in those offices with
only RD connections available from them to the main office.

I was just about to pull my remaining hair out when they said they have
to also have local serial port connections - printers I already had
setup, but didn't even think about serial ports.

Thanks for the feedback.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.user (More info?)

Lots of users using TS = lots of memory. You might want to add up the
memory requirements per user to determine.

>I have to setup Terminal Services for remote offices, but the remote
> offices have ADP payroll time clocks connected to the local computers
> serial port - not the servers computer.
>
> Can a terminal services user still use the local workstations COM ports
> in applications running on the remote TS server?
>
> Thanks

> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

how about server 2000 & may I know how does it works.

Thank you.

"Patrick Rouse" wrote:

> In Server 2003, yes.
> --
> Patrick Rouse
> Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://www.workthin.com
>

> "Leythos" wrote:
>
> > I have to setup Terminal Services for remote offices, but the remote
> > offices have ADP payroll time clocks connected to the local computers
> > serial port - not the servers computer.
> >
> > Can a terminal services user still use the local workstations COM ports
> > in applications running on the remote TS server?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > --
> > --
> > spam999free@rrohio.com
> > remove 999 in order to email me

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

No, W2K TS does not support redirection of COM ports.

2003 TS does:
net use com1: \\tsclient\com1:
Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net

"=?Utf-8?B?U0g=?=" <SH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 26 jul
2005:

> how about server 2000 & may I know how does it works.
>
> Thank you.
>
> "Patrick Rouse" wrote:
>
>> In Server 2003, yes.
>> --
>> Patrick Rouse
>> Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://www.workthin.com
>>

>> "Leythos" wrote:
>>
>> > I have to setup Terminal Services for remote offices, but the
>> > remote offices have ADP payroll time clocks connected to the
>> > local computers serial port - not the servers computer.
>> >
>> > Can a terminal services user still use the local workstations
>> > COM ports in applications running on the remote TS server?
>> >
>> > Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.setup (More info?)

Thank you.
I'try but "system 66/67 has occurred"