Terminal Server License Server

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Hi,
I have Terminal Server Licensing installed on my Win2k3 DC. Duer to issues
with the DC i need to rebuild so I want to remove TS Licensing from it and
install it on an another server.
Has anyone ever done this and can tell me the steps involved.

I only have 5 CALS. Also when I do this will there be any loss of service to
the 5 TS users?

cheers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

1) Deactivate the old LS
2) Install and activate the new LS
3) Phone the Clearinghouse to get your TS CALs re-issued and
install them on your new LS
4) Verify that the TS can locate your LS, with lsview and lsreport
from the Resource Kit. This should happen automatically, but not if
you manually hardcoded the TS to contact your old LS. See:
279561 - How to Override the License Server Discovery Process in
Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279561

Existing clients should not be affected by a short time without a
LS, since their current license is stored locally on the client.
The renewal process for TS CALs starts 7 days before expiuration,
so in teory, you can run a week without an LS. It would not push my
luck to the limits, though, and fix the above on one day.

Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

"Jody Stoll" <jody.stoll@attentiv.com> wrote on 13 jun 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> Hi,
> I have Terminal Server Licensing installed on my Win2k3 DC. Duer
> to issues with the DC i need to rebuild so I want to remove TS
> Licensing from it and install it on an another server.
> Has anyone ever done this and can tell me the steps involved.
>
> I only have 5 CALS. Also when I do this will there be any loss
> of service to the 5 TS users?
>
> cheers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

What if I need to rebuild a Win2K DC with a TSLS on it, do I follow the same
procedures?

"Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:

> 1) Deactivate the old LS
> 2) Install and activate the new LS
> 3) Phone the Clearinghouse to get your TS CALs re-issued and
> install them on your new LS
> 4) Verify that the TS can locate your LS, with lsview and lsreport
> from the Resource Kit. This should happen automatically, but not if
> you manually hardcoded the TS to contact your old LS. See:
> 279561 - How to Override the License Server Discovery Process in
> Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279561
>
> Existing clients should not be affected by a short time without a
> LS, since their current license is stored locally on the client.
> The renewal process for TS CALs starts 7 days before expiuration,
> so in teory, you can run a week without an LS. It would not push my
> luck to the limits, though, and fix the above on one day.

> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
>
> "Jody Stoll" <jody.stoll@attentiv.com> wrote on 13 jun 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:
>
> > Hi,
> > I have Terminal Server Licensing installed on my Win2k3 DC. Duer
> > to issues with the DC i need to rebuild so I want to remove TS
> > Licensing from it and install it on an another server.
> > Has anyone ever done this and can tell me the steps involved.
> >
> > I only have 5 CALS. Also when I do this will there be any loss
> > of service to the 5 TS users?
> >
> > cheers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Yes, with one exception: the method to hardcode the name of the LS
into the registry of the TS is slightly different:

239107 - Establishing Preferred Windows 2000 Terminal Services
License Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239107

But then again, if you create the new LS on the DC in the same
domain as the TS, you should need to hardcode it.
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

=?Utf-8?B?TGVzIEFycm93bWFu?=
<LesArrowman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 14 jun 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> What if I need to rebuild a Win2K DC with a TSLS on it, do I
> follow the same procedures?
>
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> 1) Deactivate the old LS
>> 2) Install and activate the new LS
>> 3) Phone the Clearinghouse to get your TS CALs re-issued and
>> install them on your new LS
>> 4) Verify that the TS can locate your LS, with lsview and
>> lsreport from the Resource Kit. This should happen
>> automatically, but not if you manually hardcoded the TS to
>> contact your old LS. See: 279561 - How to Override the License
>> Server Discovery Process in Windows Server 2003 Terminal
>> Services http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279561
>>
>> Existing clients should not be affected by a short time without
>> a LS, since their current license is stored locally on the
>> client. The renewal process for TS CALs starts 7 days before
>> expiuration, so in teory, you can run a week without an LS. It
>> would not push my luck to the limits, though, and fix the above
>> on one day.

>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
>>
>> "Jody Stoll" <jody.stoll@attentiv.com> wrote on 13 jun 2005 in
>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > I have Terminal Server Licensing installed on my Win2k3 DC.
>> > Duer to issues with the DC i need to rebuild so I want to
>> > remove TS Licensing from it and install it on an another
>> > server. Has anyone ever done this and can tell me the steps
>> > involved.
>> >
>> > I only have 5 CALS. Also when I do this will there be any
>> > loss of service to the 5 TS users?
>> >
>> > cheers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Thank you for the response.

I was planning on rebuilding a DC that is currently hosting the LS and
post-rebuild reinstalling the LS back onto the DC. I just wanted to make sure
that it would be as easy as the all the KB articles say about using the
internet w/ enrollment number to bring back the LS on the newly built
replacement DC.

Would it be better to transer the LS to another DC rather than do it the way
I'm planning?

"Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:

> Yes, with one exception: the method to hardcode the name of the LS
> into the registry of the TS is slightly different:
>
> 239107 - Establishing Preferred Windows 2000 Terminal Services
> License Server
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239107
>
> But then again, if you create the new LS on the DC in the same
> domain as the TS, you should need to hardcode it.
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
>
> =?Utf-8?B?TGVzIEFycm93bWFu?=
> <LesArrowman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 14 jun 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:
>
> > What if I need to rebuild a Win2K DC with a TSLS on it, do I
> > follow the same procedures?
> >
> > "Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> 1) Deactivate the old LS
> >> 2) Install and activate the new LS
> >> 3) Phone the Clearinghouse to get your TS CALs re-issued and
> >> install them on your new LS
> >> 4) Verify that the TS can locate your LS, with lsview and
> >> lsreport from the Resource Kit. This should happen
> >> automatically, but not if you manually hardcoded the TS to
> >> contact your old LS. See: 279561 - How to Override the License
> >> Server Discovery Process in Windows Server 2003 Terminal
> >> Services http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279561
> >>
> >> Existing clients should not be affected by a short time without
> >> a LS, since their current license is stored locally on the
> >> client. The renewal process for TS CALs starts 7 days before
> >> expiuration, so in teory, you can run a week without an LS. It
> >> would not push my luck to the limits, though, and fix the above
> >> on one day.
> >>
> >> _________________________________________________________
> >> Vera Noest
> >> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> >> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> >> ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
> >>
> >> "Jody Stoll" <jody.stoll@attentiv.com> wrote on 13 jun 2005 in
> >> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

It shouldn't make any difference. You can either rebuild the DC +
LS, or first move the LS and then rebuild the DC.
Should be an easy operation to move or reinstall your LS (I would
worry much more about rebuilding the DC :)

<LesArrowman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 17 jun 2005 in