Slow display of Desktop Tab on display properties

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 16, 2005 6:06:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.nl.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

(Hope this is the right newsgroup)

We've recently migrated to Windows 2000 Server with Terminal Services and
Citrix Presentation Server 3. When we open the display properties dialog and
switch to the Display tab, the dialog freezes for a few minutes before
displaying the background information etc.

Why is this happening? What does Windows do when you use the Display tab - I
suspect it's running off somewhere looking for "things" which is taking a
while. I've read somewhere that it scans for themes - which folders is it
scanning?

Thanks, Rob.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 7:57:27 PM

Op Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:06:45 +0100, schreef Rob Nicholson :

> (Hope this is the right newsgroup)

Wrong language!
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 7:57:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.nl.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

> > (Hope this is the right newsgroup)
>
> Wrong language!

Doh! They sneak those .nl. in there :-)

Rob.
Related resources
June 17, 2005 2:37:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.nl.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Ben jij familie van Jack Nicholson ????????

"Rob Nicholson" <informed@community.nospam> schreef in bericht
> (Hope this is the right newsgroup)
>
> We've recently migrated to Windows 2000 Server with Terminal Services and
> Citrix Presentation Server 3. When we open the display properties dialog
> and
> switch to the Display tab, the dialog freezes for a few minutes before
> displaying the background information etc.
>
> Why is this happening? What does Windows do when you use the Display tab -
> suspect it's running off somewhere looking for "things" which is taking a
> while. I've read somewhere that it scans for themes - which folders is it
> scanning?
>
> Thanks, Rob.

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 6:42:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.nl.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

> Ben jij familie van Jack Nicholson ????????

I wish! Assuming you're asking if I a member of Jack's family :-)
September 19, 2011 11:01:13 PM

I'm still using win2k pro and found that my display/desktop properties took along time to come up. I discovered that windows was using the "My Pictures" folder as a wallpaper source and loading up thousands of .jpegs. I tried renaming and moving this folder but windows was too smart and always returned to it so I finally had to move the pictures into a new folder so now I just keep it empty. I don't know if theres a way to tell windows to ignore the My Computer folder but by emptying it made the display properties pop right up!
!