O/C vs. a faster CPU . . .

Biskit

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
I'm sure this has been benchmarked somewhere, but are there any benefits of O/Cing vs. buying a faster CPU?

I know the FSB speed goes up when O/C'd on some MBs and others let you set up a higher multiplier.

My question is now that the multipliers are locked, does O/C a MB to 3.6Ghz (from 3.0Ghz) get you more throughput than a 3.6Ghz processor?

I don't have the resourses to do this myself....

Thanks in Advance!

Biskit

I-am-crazy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
ofcourse you'll get more valeu for your money then, you'll safe 260$, but you can overclock that 3600mhz to 4000ghz+, so its a bit of what you want,...
with that high clockspeds you're using and INTEL, try AMD, an intel with 3600mh here costs 460€ which is about 370-380$, an amd athlon 3500+ wil cost about 220$ and has more performance then an intel 660 (3600mhz)

oh and btw, its not the motherboard that will allow you to overclock its the fsb or with the fsb and multiplier, the only thing wo tells that is the processor itself, normally you cant use the multiplier to overclock with on modern pc's, or you'll need a AMD FX xx or an intel extreme edition. also, you don't overclock your mobo, you overclock your processor... just beqruse you're using the MB unitials and i guess that you mean mobo with it.

i hope that i cleared some things out for you

Biskit

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
You missed the point of my question. Not the dollars but the through-put.

Can you get more work done on a system O/C'd to a higher rated processor than using the higher rated processor at it's rated speed?

I.E. A processor rated at 3.2 Ghz running at 3.6 Ghz vs. a 3.6Ghz processor running at 3.6 Ghz.

The 3.2 Ghz cpu will have a FSB running at 225 Mhz. The 3.6 Ghz cpu running with a FSB of 200 Mhz.

I-am-crazy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
if everything is the same (i mean, ram and mobo,..), but just the cpu is different, then the overclocked cpu will be faster, espaccially because the ram will be faster, if your ram can handle the high speeds... (they are related with the FSB)

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
lets find out if anyone knows of a cpu benchmark program and has a 4800x2 post the score and program you used here and ill use the same program on my OC 4400 @ 2400Mhz and we will see if an overclock processer performs like the next one up... thats the only way to know for sure i guess.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Depends on what a single core or and x2 core is doing, an overclocked CPU is for gaming performance. No single core CPU other than the FX can match the x2 multi application performance I have used both and set them up, but I will tell you that the overclocked single will play games just as good if not better. Tomshardware has an artical on this very topic.
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=233&model2=212&chart=70

check out the doom bench and than 3dmax you should see how the single is on top and than 3dmax is the x2

Biskit

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
ok, heres where I'm going with this question...

I have a few pieces of DDR2 memory available to me and plan on building up a new PC using this. I don't want to get in an Intel vs. AMD battle here, just going with what I have and make the best of it.

The memory tells us that I have to use an Intel cpu so I'm going with an ASUS LGA 775 motherboard with dual-core support. I am looking for the most throughput for my dollar - not the highest Ghz. Stability is required; not an option.

Therefore if an overclocked cpu/motherboard provides more than a simple speed increase (not o/c'd) I kinda want to know some details, percentages, etc...

I was hoping that someone would have done this and posted the results somewhere. My thoughts so far are using a Pentium D 820 or 920 and o/c'ing to whatever it will take. I'm not into gaming rather using this machine as a networked rendering device using Sony Vegas 6 (video editing). The Intel CPU story on THG suggest that the 820 or 920 has benefits over each other. And both are priced similar. Yell at if I'm wrong here.

unsmart

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I think it all comes down to ram speed[like I-am-crazy said]. the test would have to run the same cpu core's and clock the ram at same speed. that limit it just to the cpu oc results. A lot of the newer cpu's have better core's and higher performance at the same speed as the older core's. A true 3.6gh cpu is more stable, cooler and Guaranteed to run at 3.6. A true 3.6 will run on low end parts, getting a 3.0gh to that speed is high end all the way. for single vr. dual, The newest games and the latest vid drivers are optimized for dual core, soon everything will be.

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
doos someone has an 3.0ghz processor without hyperthreading? i've mine @3.0ghz from 2.4ghz

I do... I can shut off the HTT in the BIOS. Mine is a 3.0Ghz overclocked to 3.48Ghz right now. RAM running at DDR464 timings 2.5-4-4-8. :) I can easily clock it back down...

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I got told to think of it this way:

The FSB is how fast the processor is talking with the rest of the system. Speed this up and communication with the rest of the system increases, so to speak. However, when you're just increasing the multiplier, you're only increasing the processor's bus ratio. Because the processor speed is only a multiple of the bus speed, you're not increasing the original bus speed of the CPU.

So, increasing the FSB will give you better performance as opposed to just upping the multiplier.

This is why when people run out of overclocking head room they tend to lower the multiplier just so they can up the FSB some more instead.

Is that the answer you were after?

sylvez

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
I got told to think of it this way:

The FSB is how fast the processor is talking with the rest of the system. Speed this up and communication with the rest of the system increases, so to speak. However, when you're just increasing the multiplier, you're only increasing the processor's bus ratio. Because the processor speed is only a multiple of the bus speed, you're not increasing the original bus speed of the CPU.

So, increasing the FSB will give you better performance as opposed to just upping the multiplier.

This is why when people run out of overclocking head room they tend to lower the multiplier just so they can up the FSB some more instead.

Is that the answer you were after?

hi can i hijack this and ask a question?

so u're saying a 300HTT x 6 that gives 1800mhz is faster than the original 200HTT x 9 ?

how about the NB Link and the SB Link speeds? does increasing them = faster overall performance?

sorry i just started out in this overclocking A64 thing so i'm really confused

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
Looks as if you've confused FSB with HTT...

Say you have this... an opteron 165 which runs at 9x200.

If you drop it to 225x8 (1800mhz) you should see better performance due to the faster FSB.