Device Vs. User

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

We are about to bring up a Windows Server 2003 computer solely for
implementing Terminal Services. I think that a per user license is the best
approach where my boss is thinking per device. What he was wondering was
whether or not we could use the grace period before installing licenses to
test and see how per device licensing would work for us and if we're not
happy with it change to per user when we actually purchase CAL packages.

Jim

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

No, not really. The grace period works without a Licensing Server
at all.
After the grace period of 120 days, you must install and activate a
Licensing Server. If you don't install any TS CALs on it yet, every
client will then start to receive a temporary license (which will
last for another 90 days), and those are always Per Device.

As far as I know, there are no functional differences between Per
User and Per Device licenses.
If you have a clear idea about how many users are going to connect
to your TS from how many workstations, it should be easy to
calculate which licensing model is cheapest:

* if you have more clients than users (think about home PCs, users
connecting over the Internet from public PCs, consultants
connecting from different PCs, etc), then Per User is cheapest.
* if you have more users than clients (multiple users share a
limited number of clients), then Per Device is cheapest.

The only disadvantage with Per User licensing is that it is
currently unmanaged. That means that you must manually keep track
of how many users are connecting, to know if you have enough
licenses.

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

"Jim Satterfield" <jsatterfield@charterfunerals.nospam.com> wrote
on 13 jul 2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> We are about to bring up a Windows Server 2003 computer solely
> for implementing Terminal Services. I think that a per user
> license is the best approach where my boss is thinking per
> device. What he was wondering was whether or not we could use
> the grace period before installing licenses to test and see how
> per device licensing would work for us and if we're not happy
> with it change to per user when we actually purchase CAL
> packages.

TRENDING THREADS