Sign in with
Your question

Is my cpu running full speed?

Last response: in CPUs
January 7, 2006 5:36:18 PM

I have an Asus P4B533-V motherboard. Just recently installed a P4 2.4 533 cpu. When I started up the computer again, of course the BIOS setup popped up with the message that since a new cpu had been installed, it had defaulted to the lowest setting.

When I pull up the computer's system info from the Window's control panel (running XP Home), it shows the following:

Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
1.80 GHz, 1.50 BG of RAM

I am a little confused by the presence of the 1.80 GHz item. Does this mean that even though I have a 2.4 chip, I'm only running at 1.8? And if so, why is this the case?

I would sure appreciate any input I can get from any of you! Thank you, ahead of time, for your help.

Ty.

More about : cpu running full speed

January 7, 2006 5:52:59 PM

Hi mate, can you put your system specs on eg ram type and speed. Im not to sure but you may have to set the cpu speed in the bios itself. or maybe you bus speed isnt set to the correct setting or the cpu multiplier isnt set to the correct clock speed.
January 7, 2006 11:23:56 PM

You were right. I needed to set the cpu speed in the BIOS. Went poking around in there & changed the setting. Now all runs well.

Thanks for the response. You pointed me in the right direction. :) 

Ty.
January 7, 2006 11:25:21 PM

no problem your welcome im glad i could help
!