License Question

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Hello, We have a License server (tor-lic) at our Corp. location in Toronto
CA. I just setup one Win 2003 server in Terminal Server mode in our remote
locations in Buffalo NY. Toronto is in the windows 2k AD domain
Tor.ourco.com and Buffalo is in Buf.ourco.com
The TS in Buffalo can see the tor-lic server in Toronto however, the Buffalo
TS sais this is NOT a valid 2003 License server? We also have a 2003 TS in
the Toronto location and it has this server listed in the Terminal Server
License Discovery, In Enterprise role:
[tor-serourco.com,anotherwin2k-server.ourco.com ]
The servers in the Toronto location are working OK however the TS in the
Buffalo location will not allow any connections? The free time must have
expired. So, I guess I need to setup a License server in the Buffalo
location? I found this(Microsoft R18-00908 Windows Server 2003 License - 20
user CALs - Retail) at newegg.com and it's less than the cost of 20 single
user license's at (about $60.00 ea. USD)
So, if I purchase this Server with the 20 user CAL's will it correct the
problem I have in the Buffalo location? Thanks for any help. Terry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Which OS is the Licensing Server running?
A 2003 Terminal Server must connect to a 2003 TS Licensing Server.
A W2K LS cannot handle 2003 TS CALs (because it doesn't know about
the new 2003 license types - Per user versus Per Device).

Are these domain all part of the same AD? Full trusts between the
domains?

You might have to apply this as well:
279561 - How to Override the License Server Discovery Process in
Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279561

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

"theitman-at-olsbuff.com" <theitman_re-move@olsbuff.com> wrote on
21 jul 2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:

> Hello, We have a License server (tor-lic) at our Corp. location
> in Toronto CA. I just setup one Win 2003 server in Terminal
> Server mode in our remote locations in Buffalo NY. Toronto is
> in the windows 2k AD domain Tor.ourco.com and Buffalo is in
> Buf.ourco.com The TS in Buffalo can see the tor-lic server in
> Toronto however, the Buffalo TS sais this is NOT a valid 2003
> License server? We also have a 2003 TS in the Toronto location
> and it has this server listed in the Terminal Server License
> Discovery, In Enterprise role:
> [tor-serourco.com,anotherwin2k-server.ourco.com ] The servers
> in the Toronto location are working OK however the TS in the
> Buffalo location will not allow any connections? The free time
> must have expired. So, I guess I need to setup a License server
> in the Buffalo location? I found this(Microsoft R18-00908
> Windows Server 2003 License - 20 user CALs - Retail) at
> newegg.com and it's less than the cost of 20 single user
> license's at (about $60.00 ea. USD) So, if I purchase this
> Server with the 20 user CAL's will it correct the problem I have
> in the Buffalo location? Thanks for any help. Terry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Hi,
I was thinking about buying another copy of Windows 2003 with 20 Users.
Are these the same User Licenses or do I need something other license?

I will run the TS Licensing Server on the copy of Windows 2003 above with
the 20 users (again if that will work)
Yes they are ALL the Same AD with Full Trust.

Thanks for all the help.
I don't know what users will connect to this TS out of a possible 400 uses.
There will not be more than 15 users on this TS at the same time I am sure
about that. So, per User or Per Device? Any suggestions.

Thanks, Terry

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> Which OS is the Licensing Server running?
> A 2003 Terminal Server must connect to a 2003 TS Licensing Server.
> A W2K LS cannot handle 2003 TS CALs (because it doesn't know about
> the new 2003 license types - Per user versus Per Device).
>
> Are these domain all part of the same AD? Full trusts between the
> domains?
>
> You might have to apply this as well:
> 279561 - How to Override the License Server Discovery Process in
> Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279561

> Vera Noest
> TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
> ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
>
> "theitman-at-olsbuff.com" <theitman_re-move@olsbuff.com> wrote on
> 21 jul 2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc:
>
>> Hello, We have a License server (tor-lic) at our Corp. location
>> in Toronto CA. I just setup one Win 2003 server in Terminal
>> Server mode in our remote locations in Buffalo NY. Toronto is
>> in the windows 2k AD domain Tor.ourco.com and Buffalo is in
>> Buf.ourco.com The TS in Buffalo can see the tor-lic server in
>> Toronto however, the Buffalo TS sais this is NOT a valid 2003
>> License server? We also have a 2003 TS in the Toronto location
>> and it has this server listed in the Terminal Server License
>> Discovery, In Enterprise role:
>> [tor-serourco.com,anotherwin2k-server.ourco.com ] The servers
>> in the Toronto location are working OK however the TS in the
>> Buffalo location will not allow any connections? The free time
>> must have expired. So, I guess I need to setup a License server
>> in the Buffalo location? I found this(Microsoft R18-00908
>> Windows Server 2003 License - 20 user CALs - Retail) at
>> newegg.com and it's less than the cost of 20 single user
>> license's at (about $60.00 ea. USD) So, if I purchase this
>> Server with the 20 user CAL's will it correct the problem I have
>> in the Buffalo location? Thanks for any help. Terry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Licenses that come together with the server OS are normally server
CALs, not Terminal Server CALs. You need both.

And licensing is *not* concurrent. If any of your 400 users is
going to connect sooner or later, you will need 400 Per user TS
CALs. Likewise with connecting devices.

Recommended reading:

Windows Server 2003 Pricing and Licensing FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pric
licfaq.mspx

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net