Houston... we have a problem... Help!

KurtLax06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Bumping up my graphics all the way for COD2 creates a problem...just before i enter the battlefield or mission, my moniter shuts down, and when i pressed the moniter menu button... it tells me a saving power like msg in a lil box... the only way to get out of that is shut down manually. Is it a psu probelm or ram or what!?!? please help, thanks

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think if you over exceed what a monitor can handle it will shut down on you. This happens to me all the time running Knoppix when it goofs on detecting the correct monitor settings. When this happens you must manually configure Knoppix to run at a more tame video setting. Anything that locks up a computer might have similar results. Fortunately my system can run COD2 maxed out but FEAR will cause trouble if soft shadows are enabled.

Pompeii

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Try bumping down the graphics. Check what resolutions your monitor can support, and see if you are simply setting your resolutions too high.

If it is the power supply, your CPU would be shutting down as well, not just your video card. (The power supply problem happened to my brother once)

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Sounds much more like he's Simply trying to run in a res/refresh rate that his monitor doesn't support.

If his PSU were to blame I would expect reboots, rather than just losing video... and I'd expect him to mention stability problems when not "bumping up graphics all the way" That phrase suggests to me that it's ok when he plays at medium or medium-high settings. Since the power draw isn't really that different, I'd expect a flaky system prior to just having it on max settings.

To the OP:

Exactly what make and model is your Monitor? Do you have this problem in any other games, and what resolution are you trying to play COD2 in?

cleeve

Illustrious
If you can cntrl/alt/del out of it to a windows task manager, it's not your Power Supply.

If you can't, and have to hold the power button on your case down to shut it off, it very well might be the power supply.

pauldh

Illustrious
Bumping up my graphics all the way for COD2 creates a problem... Radeon 9550
While not the answer you seek, bumping up details in COD2 gives my 6800U a problem too. It's called a slideshow. That game absolutely hammers the video card. So even if you buy a power supply or find the fix you seek, you are not going to be able to play COD2 with details cranked all the way. Who knows, maybe the game itself is not sensing your cards chipset or memory limitations and it's running things beyond what is supported. If that's the only time you see a problem, download fraps, run it, and reduce graphics until you see your framerates are acceptable. Then game on.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
It sounds like your video card is attempting to output at a resolution/refresh rate that is too high for your monitor. If you're determined to play at the same resolution, I'd try a lower refresh rate before giving up or buying anything. If that's acceptable to your eyes, you're fine... if not, be prepared to shell out for a new monitor.

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Has any one ever heard of minum spec's.
Incase the red doesnt come across you need more RAM 256 is not enough 512 the minimum you can go with.

Bumping up my graphics all the way for COD2 creates a problem...just before i enter the battlefield or mission, my moniter shuts down, and when i pressed the moniter menu button... it tells me a saving power like msg in a lil box... the only way to get out of that is shut down manually. Is it a psu probelm or ram or what!?!? please help, thanks
120GB 7200RPM
16x DVD Rom drive
48x CD burner
ATI Radeon 9550 AGP 256mb 128 bit
Harmon Kardon speakers w/ subwoofer
Windows XP...

Call of Duty 2 System Requirements

Minimum Requirements
1, 4 GHz Prozessor (Celeron / Duron)
512 MB RAM
ATi Radeon 9200 / GeForce 4

Optimum Requirements
2, 5 GHz Prozessor (Athlon XP / Pentium 4)
1 GB RAM
ATi Radeon 9800XT / GeForce FX 5900

Battlefield 2 System Requirements

CPU
Battlefield 2 supports the following processors:
Intel Pentium 4
Intel Xeon
Intel Pentium Extreme Edition
Intel Celeron D
AMD Athlon XP
AMD Athlon 64
AMD Athlon 64-FX
AMD Sempron processor

Minimum Specification:
CPU: 1.7 Ghz
RAM: 512 Mb
Video Card: NVidia GeForce FX 5700, ATI Radeon 8500 or ATI Radeon 9500
with 128 Mb of RAM

Recommended Specification:
CPU: 2.4 Ghz
RAM: 1 Gb
Video Card with at least 256 Mb of RAM

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
only thing that comes to my mind at all is yur video card is trying to output a refresh rate and/or resolution not supported by the monitor

you may want to go into video properties and tell it to use the same refresh rate as your desktop.

come to think about it though perhaps you are indeed reaching a limit with the output of your power supply by putting more demands on the video card